Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Recommend Brakes for a kids bike

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 10-25-19, 01:53 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts

I have a couple of 16" wheel bikes that I'm setting up for my 4 year old twins. I want to customize them, but I also definitely want to put brakes on and get them learning to stop other than with their feet/the coaster brake. What good caliper brakes are available out there for kids bikes?

Amazon has a few options. Am I over-thinking this and I should just bite the bullet?
Old 10-25-19, 06:51 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Inexpensive Tektro 985 sidepull. Probably cost you $10-$12. Just make sure you get a lever you can toe in (most do) for small hands.
Old 10-25-19, 08:37 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Most very small kid's bikes come with coaster brakes because they have a lot more strength in their legs than in their hands. Test the brakes for how much effort it will take for your kids to stop using caliper brakes before relying solely on them.
Old 10-25-19, 09:41 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'd go with coaster brakes for little kids. Don't worry, they'll grow up fast enough.
Old 10-25-19, 11:02 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Originally Posted by kingston
I'd go with coaster brakes for little kids. Don't worry, they'll grow up fast enough.
Not right or wrong, but I disagree. I think we all progress faster when we don't have to relearn things. My son started on a freewheel and caliper brake bike just before he was 2 years old. We were able to work on other skills, rather than relearning to brake. It also depends on a kid's aspirations on the bike.
Old 10-25-19, 11:37 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by pickettt
Not right or wrong, but I disagree. I think we all progress faster when we don't have to relearn things. My son started on a freewheel and caliper brake bike just before he was 2 years old. We were able to work on other skills, rather than relearning to brake. It also depends on a kid's aspirations on the bike.
That's amazing. I have four kids of my own and have lived a block away from an elementary school for the past 15 years so there are lots of young families in our neighborhood, and I can't ever rember seeing a toddler ride any bike at all, let alone one with hand brakes. All four of my kids, who are in their teens and 20's now, had no problem adapting to hand brakes when they outgrew their coaster brake bikes at around 7 or 8. That's more normal in my experience, but you're right that some kids definitely progress faster than others.
Old 10-25-19, 12:01 PM
pickettt

Originally Posted by kingston
That's amazing. I have four kids of my own and have lived a block away from an elementary school for the past 15 years so there are lots of young families in our neighborhood, and I can't ever rember seeing a toddler ride any bike at all, let alone one with hand brakes. All four of my kids, who are in their teens and 20's now, had no problem adapting to hand brakes when they outgrew their coaster brake bikes at around 7 or 8. That's more normal in my experience, but you're right that some kids definitely progress faster than others.

Fast forward a few years....
Old 10-25-19, 12:37 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

^^^That's awesome!