Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Plagued with cramps once again....

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Plagued with cramps once again....

Old 12-07-18, 01:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I got a calf cramp twinge this week doing a 20 min FTP test after a month of pretty sporadic and unstructured riding in preparation for winter trainer time. Was well hydrated, good amounts of electrolytes and carbs in the system all day, and was only ~40 mins into the ride. Yep definitely lack of fitness and pushing too hard, even with the signficantly lower threshold power output compared to my peak in the summer.
Old 12-10-18, 09:58 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Cramping may be about fitness, but I'm fully confident it's also highly genetic. As I've noted in previous posts of my own, I have spent six years training well beyond the point of cramp onset, both in distance, intensity, and both at the same time, and reached a wall where the onset of cramps did not extend. Mine sets in far earlier and at far lower intensities than most cyclists, and no amount of training, nutrition, salt intake, electrolytes, pickle juice, mustard, or anything changes it. But there are examples the world over of casual riders who undertake rides that are longer, harder, and higher than they've trained for, and while they may finish, or may get tired and bonk, they don't cramp. It's fitness and genetics.

Last edited by Dreww10; 12-10-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 10:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, fitness, genetics and too many variables.

As I wrote in post #45 , multi-champ Manny Pacquiao has experienced intermittent leg cramps for years. Team Sky's 2015 budget was estimated at just under $40 million. Pacquiao grossed $160 million against Mayweather alone.

If cramps could be cured with "fitness", pickle juice, Gatorade and $10 worth of potassium and magnesium supplements, it's a safe bet one of the highest paid and best trained athletes in history would have figured it out already.

Training to or beyond exhaustion to cure cramps is like the old high school football coach mantra to push exhausted teenagers beyond exhaustion with two a days in summer, no water allowed. It "cured" weakness by killing players. It defies recent years of scientific, methodical research. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Improper training only leads to injury and further debilitation. Once muscles are exhausted and cramping we lose coordination and resort to poor skeletal alignment that destroys joints.

"There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong." - H. L. Mencken
Old 12-12-18, 10:33 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I heard today on the radio of someone quitting statins, saying they caused debilitating leg cramps. Supposed to be a possible side effect.

A search showed as follows:

Leg cramps are a side effect of cholesterol medications. If you have been diagnosed with high cholesterol, your physician might have prescribed a statin drug to lower your cholesterol levels. Unfortunately, one of the common side effects of statins is leg and muscle cramps. While these should be mild, some patients can experience severe of painful cramps.
Old 05-14-20, 11:03 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Bump . . .
Old 05-14-20, 11:09 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Used to think cramps were some electrolyte/salt shortage, then inability to disperse lactic acid... lately there's talk that cramps are triggered via nervous network like a fit or seizure...

...yeah none of the pro nerds know
Absolutely correct - they know and have for some time. Here's the latest pro coach take on cramping: Muscle Cramps: Causes and Remedies Based on Latest Science