Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Weird Fork Question

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Weird Fork Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 01:38 PM
Fissile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Weird Fork Question

Hello frame guys. Perhaps you can help me with this. I recently obtained this used, 1 inch, Japanese Tange fork. Have a close look at the pictures. The slot in the threads for the keyed headset washer is milled clear through the steer tube. I've never seen this before...I mean I've seen a groove milled into the threads to accept the keyed washer but never milled all the way through the tube. Looks too sloppy to be factory. My question: Is it safe to use this fork? Should the steer tube be replaced? I inserted a piece of paper inside the steer tube of the second photo for better contrast. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-20, 03:45 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
That was pretty common BITD. Obviously, most companies didn't do it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-30-20, 06:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Note that the slot isn't all the way to the steerer's end. There's a "bridge" of steerer material left to resist the compression when tightening up the upper lock nut. My speculation for decades is that it's easier to just cut all the way through then part way when using crude tooling in high production. Andy
Old 05-30-20, 06:28 PM
Fissile

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Note that the slot isn't all the way to the steerer's end. There's a "bridge" of steerer material left to resist the compression when tightening up the upper lock nut. My speculation for decades is that it's easier to just cut all the way through then part way when using crude tooling in high production. Andy
Thanks for the reply. Note how thin that bridge is? That little bridge is also got a tiny crack in it that didn't show up on the pic. Is this fork safe to use in this condition? Would the tab on the washer keep it from crushing and the headset from loosening up? Should I replace the steer tube?
Old 05-30-20, 06:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The failure mode is likely the headset loosening up as the top nut might not stay tight. Tighten it with the stem in place though. I would use mu judgement after trying to adjust the headset and doting the rocking test. Andy
Old 05-30-20, 07:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
as long as the bridge doesn't break, you know you're okay