Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

1 1/8 th inch threaded steerer tube???

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-20, 09:53 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts

I have recently purchased a Raleigh folding Twenty frame to play with. For the purists read no further I have no intention of restoring it to original.

I am trying to figure out a way to make the foot or so of the 1 inch tubing I'll be using for the vertical part of the stem slide down into the steerer tube for compacting when folding or for shorter riders to use the bike. There are 1 1/8th inch threaded headsets but I can't find a 1 1/8th inch steerer tube. I have looked at the main vendors but no luck.

Does anyone have any leads? Or the size of the threads and perhaps where to purchase a die to thread a piece of tubing.

Thanks

Steve
Old 06-07-20, 10:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
All that 1 1/8" stuff is pretty rare because it didn't last very long. You might be able to find a used die. From your description, I can't really tell what you're trying to do, but can you use clamps instead? That sounds like something that is done on folding bikes without weird thread sizes.
Old 06-07-20, 10:48 AM
wsteve464

I have looked at the folding bike collapsible stems but they seem really bulky, trying for something lighter looking.

I want to be able to use a quick release clamp ( like on MTB seat posts) to hold the 1 inch steerer in place and when storing the bike release the clamp and slide the handle bar stem into the fork steerer and lock it in place for this I need to use a threaded fork that will extend an inch or so above the head set nuts for the clamp. Maybe it won't work but I figured I'd give it a go. A 1 inch steerer requires a 7/8 stem which is too small for what I want.

I did find a 1 1/8th steerer from a lowrider springer fork on ebay. We'll see when the parts arrive.
Old 06-07-20, 06:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The "standard," such as it was, for 1-1/8" threaded steer tubes was 26tpi. Park and Hozan made 1-1/8" x 26tpi dies for this purpose; they turn up on eBay occasionally.
Old 06-07-20, 07:47 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
for some reason I have a few 1 1/8" threaded steerers. What length were you looking for?
Old 06-07-20, 08:40 PM
wsteve464

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The "standard," such as it was, for 1-1/8" threaded steer tubes was 26tpi. Park and Hozan made 1-1/8" x 26tpi dies for this purpose; they turn up on eBay occasionally.
Thanks John I'll keep a look out on Ebay
Old 06-07-20, 08:42 PM
wsteve464

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
for some reason I have a few 1 1/8" threaded steerers. What length were you looking for?
Thanks Doug. I have an 8 1/2 inch one on the way, from a lowrider springer fork. I don't have the frame yet, if what I have coming is the wrong size I'll contact you, appreciate it.