Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

we got 300 miles on our new tandem.

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 08:46 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

my wife has not ridden a bike for many years so she can get 10 to 20 miles. day max so far. we have only missed two day that were raining. a nice view of my hood.

Old 06-02-20, 10:06 PM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man, I love the springwater when it's sunny and green like that!
Who built your tandem? I've only seen one other e-tandem before.
Old 06-03-20, 06:54 AM
fooferdoggie 

it is a GEPIDA THORIS XT10 mustache makes one too it has the motor in back that would keep the peddles synced but it cost 8000.00 a little rich for us.
Old 06-04-20, 11:19 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Nice photos Foofer! We briefly tried an earlier Gepida model in the UK in 2016 and liked it. After looking around, we finally decided on another manufacturer whose product better suited our needs. The Gepida is made in Hungary.
Old 06-04-20, 08:46 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Artmo
Nice photos Foofer! We briefly tried an earlier Gepida model in the UK in 2016 and liked it. After looking around, we finally decided on another manufacturer whose product better suited our needs. The Gepida is made in Hungary.
it would be nice to have the cranks locked. my wife has trouble wen nit is too easy to peddle and over peddles. but this is about the only other choice and we could not spend that much https://propelbikes.com/product/mous...edi-27-x2-trk/
Old 06-07-20, 06:38 PM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm confused as to how the captain & stoker are connected then? I've tried finding photos online, but seem to be coming up short. Regardless, I would recommend that you give her a HRM and a cadence sensor for her cranks, then sync it to your garmin. This would give you a quick way to know when she's working too hard.
Old 06-07-20, 08:41 PM
fooferdoggie 

Ok the cranks are connected in the normal way but since the front is connected to a Bosch mid drive it is also different. The front chain ring is 15t and the back is 40. The Bosch has approx 2.5 to 1 gear multiplier so every crank arm revolution turns the chain ring 2.5 times so it is 37.5 on front and 40 on back. I would like to see cadence though I have had no luck getting a Garmin cadence sensor to actually show the readings. It connects to several of my garmins but never gives a reading. Her heart rate gets up to about 130 and mine s around 90 or so but we just found out she has been tensing her legs while peddling. She relaxed them today and two a lot better for her.
I can change the front gear to a 16t then they both will be 40 but so far cadence for both of it seems fine. But the motor lets the front act like a free wheel so you can pedal backwards so the cranks are never locked. Or she can pedal while I am coasting.
Its a bit odd but we are dealing with it.
I think getting a cheap wireless computer so I can see her cadence may be a good idea and see if I need to change the gearing art all. But her heart rate is good and my cadence is my normal one.
Old 06-08-20, 08:21 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I understand that you can coast while she is pedaling, but what I don’t understand is how you have different cadences when you are both pedaling. You might be out of phase, but when you are both pedaling, cadences front and back are the same, thanks to the sync chain.
We have a similar setup on our Circe Helios Shimano STEPS. The motor is in the front and I can coast while my wife is pedaling. This confused me at first as I thought there was something wrong with the bike before I realized she was pedaling while I wasn’t! To sync, one of us calls out “synchronize,” we momentarily align our pedals and off we go always at the same cadence.