Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Coaster brake?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Coaster brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 04:56 PM
ilyaw77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coaster brake?

Hi guys,
After 3 days of searching google I'm ready to give up and this forum is my last hope

I was looking for a folding bike with 24-26" wheel size and a COASTER brake. To my surprise I could not find any option. I mean even a single one.
If you know any bike that fit that description, please let me know. Or may be a good shop in brooklyn, ny that can customize it.

Thanks a lot,
Ilya
Old 06-14-20, 02:01 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by ilyaw77
Hi guys,
After 3 days of searching google I'm ready to give up and this forum is my last hope

I was looking for a folding bike with 24-26" wheel size and a COASTER brake. To my surprise I could not find any option. I mean even a single one.
If you know any bike that fit that description, please let me know. Or may be a good shop in brooklyn, ny that can customize it.

Thanks a lot,
Ilya
I'm curious - why a folder with big wheels? Most people get them to reduce size substantially when folded. Any 24-26 inch folder is still going to be very large when folded. You can find 20" coaster brake folders easily - single speeds often have a rear coaster (my Dahon Mu Uno does). A 20" wheel rides pretty good - perhaps go try one and see if you can live with that size wheel.
Old 06-14-20, 02:50 PM
ilyaw77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I'm curious - why a folder with big wheels? Most people get them to reduce size substantially when folded. Any 24-26 inch folder is still going to be very large when folded. You can find 20" coaster brake folders easily - single speeds often have a rear coaster (my Dahon Mu Uno does). A 20" wheel rides pretty good - perhaps go try one and see if you can live with that size wheel.
Hi Linberl, thanks a lot for your reply!
I've tried 20" bike and did not feel very comfortable riding that. But looks like I'm out of options here and definitely give it another try.

Thanks,
Ilya
Old 06-14-20, 03:55 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by ilyaw77
Hi Linberl, thanks a lot for your reply!
I've tried 20" bike and did not feel very comfortable riding that. But looks like I'm out of options here and definitely give it another try.

Thanks,
Ilya
It can take a bit of time to get used to a smaller wheel. It sometimes feels squirrely or twitchy at first. If you've got a shop that's good near you, have them make sure you are at the proper saddle height and bar height and test ride it for at least 30 minutes, more is even better. See if you feel more comfortable. Come back another day and do it again. It was actually a couple weeks before I stopped noticing the size of my smaller wheels and just felt like I was riding a regular bike. Good luck.
Old 06-14-20, 04:21 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
I agree with linberl. I have a 26" (small frame) Montague folder and it is a freaking beast. As far as 20" folders you may have to try a couple (just like any bike) before you get one you like. PS, test ride some on Craigslist.
Old 06-15-20, 10:32 AM
ilyaw77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
It can take a bit of time to get used to a smaller wheel. It sometimes feels squirrely or twitchy at first. If you've got a shop that's good near you, have them make sure you are at the proper saddle height and bar height and test ride it for at least 30 minutes, more is even better. See if you feel more comfortable. Come back another day and do it again. It was actually a couple weeks before I stopped noticing the size of my smaller wheels and just felt like I was riding a regular bike. Good luck.
Thanks for sharing your experience linberl. As soon as we get to Phase 2 here in NY I will try couple of shops and test 20" bikes.
Old 06-15-20, 10:55 AM
ilyaw77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
I agree with linberl. I have a 26" (small frame) Montague folder and it is a freaking beast. As far as 20" folders you may have to try a couple (just like any bike) before you get one you like. PS, test ride some on Craigslist.
Thanks mirfi, yeah 26 a little to big for me I will check craiglist for sure.
Old 06-15-20, 02:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Da Hon Used to make a folding style regular bike with 700c/27" wheels , good luck finding them..

https://airnimal.co/ 24"wheel folders.. wont be cheap , may be hard to modify back to coaster ..