Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring workups

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring workups

Old 06-16-20, 04:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
One thing no one ever mentions? If you don't have a phone stuck on your handlebars giving you turn by turn routes, practice navigation. It is one thing to ride a bike up and down a route or area you know, it is completely different doing it on a paper map in an area you are unfamiliar with. Out of everything I thought I prepared for on my first big tour, that was the one that screwed me over that I had never really considered.
Very good point. I use a dedicated GPS, not a phone for navigation. For some of my trips, while at home before my trip I create a route on my computer and put that into my GPS. Then while on tour, I often deviate from that planned route for short segments if the paper maps suggest otherwise, but generally stay close to the plan.

GPS navigation has become the norm for bicycle touring, but I always have the paper maps for bigger area planning purposes.
Old 06-18-20, 10:08 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
One thing no one ever mentions? If you don't have a phone stuck on your handlebars giving you turn by turn routes, practice navigation. It is one thing to ride a bike up and down a route or area you know, it is completely different doing it on a paper map in an area you are unfamiliar with. Out of everything I thought I prepared for on my first big tour, that was the one that screwed me over that I had never really considered.
Good Point. Eventually I'll get to navigation. I want to learn to limit the electronics, though I own 2 hiking and a car GPS. Also for now, I am so risk adverse, and this whole workup plan is to pre-practice all my trips. If this means a car camp trip prior, I problably will do it. Eventually, I might try a group tour. I want to baseline my capabilities before committing .

Currently workups include doing evening laps around the neighborhood block with a baseline load. I've been hearing a noises, I believe in the rear wheel and mybe teh from also.* It's my first bike with disc (mechanical), I'm going to have to learn how to service them. I'm assuming that the rear load does not effect disk's true. While, I'm wondering how much the rear load effects the wheel's / rim's true. I'll need to check spoke tension, and quick release tension. So the workups continue.

* Intermittent, but isolated once during a right turn at speed, that was persistent without peddling and stopped when I sharply engaged the rear brakes momentarily. I can periodically induce the noise when I do big slalom turns while goofing off.
Old 06-19-20, 05:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte
Good Point. Eventually I'll get to navigation. I want to learn to limit the electronics, though I own 2 hiking and a car GPS. .....
It is very possible that one of your hiking GPS units will serve well as a bike GPS. I have used a variety of general recreational GPS units on a bike over the years. Many Garmin general recreation GPS units have a handlebar bracket available, but a few it appears the bracket was an afterthought. I am currently using a Garmin 64 on my bike. Since I also use those same GPS units for backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, etc., I want a GPS that uses AA batteries.
Old 06-19-20, 10:01 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Brooks dressing (Proofide) is a piece of cake. You can do the first coat when it's new. Get some smeared on your fingers and smear it all over the outside of the saddle. You ONLY want a THIN coating. Let it soak in and then go for a ride. If you can set it in the sun for a few minutes, that will help it absorb. They say wipe off any excess - I think that is worthwhile. The saddle should have a leathery aroma, the surfce should look more porous, and if you push the leather with your thumb near the rear cleat it might show a teeny bit more give, but I would not count on any of that.

Don't turn the screw in front at this point. I don't actually know when you should turn it, I think my vote is for "never". I tested this several decades ago and I was not happy with the tightened saddle skin.

Proofide is just for helping the leather become and stay flexible. It is NOT a waterproofer nor an accelerator to break in. Breaking the saddle in, as much as it may be destined for your butt, is accomplished by riding, not by smearing. Protecting it from water, as much as it may or may not be needed, is accomplished with a Brooks "shower cap" or a "saddle gaitor (do they call it that?).