Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Back pain with Camelback

Old 05-21-20, 04:12 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Back pain with Camelback

Just got in from a long road trip-about 3500 miles round-trip-and my back was killing me every single day from hotel beds to just driving for those kinds of distances.

Once home and safely esconsed in my own bed (a full range of motion tempur-pedic knock off) my back pain was gone-until I started riding again

I have used a Camelback for years and it does not seem to give me any problems on my mountain bike when I am more upright, but my last couple of rides have been on the road and my back has been killing me to the point that I have had to set up numerous times mid ride which is agonizing and making me wonder if I can even complete a 10 mile ride

I am mainly cleaning up my diet and trying to eat right now without doing much in the way of additional resistance training or calisthenics. I'm thinking that I probably already know the answer but would like to confirm that I need to strengthen my back and core muscles because while I am blaming the Camelback a little-a 10 or 12 pound pack should not put undue stress on an otherwise healthy body I would not think
Old 05-21-20, 05:37 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
A gallon of water weighs 12lbs. Does a full Camelback hold a gallon? I doubt it. Probably half that. 6lbs. more or less, on your back, in a pack. I doubt that is the source of your issues. Here, try this. I'm serious.
Old 05-21-20, 07:26 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As someone with serious back issues, I would agree with Leisesturm’s suggestion of doing planks to strengthen your back. I run a Camelback with water, wallet, keys, etc. in it with no issues.

Also, a US gallon of water weighs about 8.3 pounds last I checked, so half that is around 4 pounds, doubt that is the source of your problem.
Old 05-23-20, 02:11 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Uncomfortable hotel beds, I find if you put a pillow up under the top of your legs near your butt there is significant relief. Long drives, making a point of using the cruise control and having your legs evenly stretched out as often/long as possible I’ve found makes a huge difference. I’ve done many 600+mile driving days and that is what works for me.

I’m also making a point of doing more mobility work as part of my gym routine. I’ve upped my 2 day workout to 4 with the other 2 days having a heavy leaning towards mobility work. I’ve found many neglected smaller muscles as a result and I am much freer moving now. I also found this morning stretch that has worked wonders for me
Old 05-24-20, 12:20 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Uncomfortable hotel beds, I find if you put a pillow up under the top of your legs near your butt there is significant relief. Long drives, making a point of using the cruise control and having your legs evenly stretched out as often/long as possible I’ve found makes a huge difference. I’ve done many 600+mile driving days and that is what works for me.

I’m also making a point of doing more mobility work as part of my gym routine. I’ve upped my 2 day workout to 4 with the other 2 days having a heavy leaning towards mobility work. I’ve found many neglected smaller muscles as a result and I am much freer moving now. I also found this morning stretch that has worked wonders for me https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-MLaa4nCs

thanks Brawlo!
Old 06-03-20, 08:32 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
My back pain improved dramatically when I started doing a stretching routine in the shower every morning that opens up my upper back and shoulders, and then stretches my lower back and hamstrings. It's made a world of difference. I'm adding in core strengthening in the evenings in addition to the morning stretching.

Cheers, and good luck!
Old 06-20-20, 02:57 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
When I ride a road/gravel bike with a back pack I have to loosen the straps so the pack hangs on the small of my back. With the pack at normal height between the shoulder blades caused immediate pain in the upper part of the back. Think it was from the front of the shoulders pulling the pack into my back.

The relief was almost immediate one I loosened the straps and got the pack off the curve of my back.