Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Replace coaster brake with freewheel?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 03-20-20, 08:58 AM
wdk535

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to remove the rear wheel w/coaster brake on my Schwinn 26" & replace with a freewheel & handbrake. I want to go with a single cog the same as on my coaster (NOT derailleur) which I think is 18T. If I take the cog off the old coaster wheel, will it fit on the new freewheel?
Old 03-20-20, 09:49 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
1) I don't think so since you will need a gear that has a "freewheel" (look at White Industries, Shimano, probably others).
2) I'm not impressed with caliper brakes, but will try Kool Stop pads on mine to see if they're that much better than the Tektro that came with the brake.
3) The chain line could be a challenge, but you'll have some latitude with the freewheel mount on the hub.
Old 03-20-20, 11:17 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
No, the coaster hub uses a completely different style cog than the freewheel hub. You'll need a new wheel/hub, and an 18 tooth freewheel to mount on it.

With the same tooth set up front and rear, chain will fit the same.
Old 03-20-20, 11:21 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Not going to work. You'll need something like a BMX freewheel/hub. You could also use a BMX brake.
Old 06-22-20, 08:06 AM
danlewis8

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
just following ^^
Old 07-09-20, 09:27 AM
The Old Peddler

Bikes: Currently 4 Electra's : 3 Cruisers and a Townie. also 1 mutt bike

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 13 Posts
You are going to have to get a new hub/wheel to do that. I have replaced a coaster hub before. I suggest you find a old donor bike with a Shimano 3 speed internal rear hub and use that rear wheel. That hub is common and should be easy to find. The hub is quite reliable in my opinion and would give a few more gears to play with. Alternatively, you might find a single speed free wheeling hub with a wheel ..... or you could build your own wheel out of new components then get whatever you want.
Old 07-27-20, 09:53 PM
CarbonBone

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wdk535
I want to remove the rear wheel w/coaster brake on my Schwinn 26" & replace with a freewheel & handbrake. I want to go with a single cog the same as on my coaster (NOT derailleur) which I think is 18T. If I take the cog off the old coaster wheel, will it fit on the new freewheel?
maybe
Old 07-31-20, 10:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Clarifying

If I take the cog off the old coaster wheel, will it fit on the new freewheel?
Because braking back pedal would unscrew it, coaster brakes will not have a threaded cog .. on a threaded hub.

So you buy a wheel with a freewheel threaded hub & a 1 speed freewheel .. you can get the same tooth count ..
as the cog on your coaster brake hub, 18t as you say, for the same gear ratio.
the cog is part of the freewheel.. not separate..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-04-20 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 02:44 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
I am no expert because I haven't done this myself, however, it may be possible to turn your coaster brake into a "Freecoaster". This disconnects the backpedal braking from the hub and allows the hub to work more or less like a freewheel. So, you can use your existing rear wheel and not have to go out and find a replacement wheel. One other thing that BMX riders like about this conversion is that it allows for the bike to move backward without moving the pedals to do tricks.

If you do it, let us know how it goes and how you like it. And if you can get some pictures that would be even better.

There are a number of YouTube videos on the topic. Here is one: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...DytMP8N6r0Ao29
Old 08-18-20, 12:47 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am no expert because I haven't done this myself, however, it may be possible to turn your coaster brake into a "Freecoaster". This disconnects the backpedal braking from the hub and allows the hub to work more or less like a freewheel. So, you can use your existing rear wheel and not have to go out and find a replacement wheel. One other thing that BMX riders like about this conversion is that it allows for the bike to move backward without moving the pedals to do tricks.

If you do it, let us know how it goes and how you like it. And if you can get some pictures that would be even better.

There are a number of YouTube videos on the topic. Here is one: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...DytMP8N6r0Ao29
I've seen that done with drift trikes. it will eventually ruin the hub. Best thing to do is to get another wheel or relace it with a regular hub. I did that; took a regular wheel without a cassette on it and put a single speed sprocket on it at the co-op. I don't like coaster brakes. I just run a single front brake for simplicity sake. I also like going fast and coasters are too touchy for me.
Old 08-22-20, 11:02 AM
LOPOLOYAS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOT derailleur) which I think is 18T. If I take the cog off the old coaster wheel, will it fit on the new freewheel?
Old 08-22-20, 02:38 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Most likely not. Roger
Old 08-24-20, 08:42 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by LOPOLOYAS
NOT derailleur) which I think is 18T. If I take the cog off the old coaster wheel, will it fit on the new freewheel?