Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

The Value of "Training While Tired"

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

The Value of "Training While Tired"

Old 06-28-20, 10:12 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
You might check out the Hanson marathon method (for the general principles). I think the longest pre-marathon run they've got is 16 miles (much shorter thanttypical) but it is pre-exhausted. So, the cumulative effect of the Saturday run and Sunday run prepare a runner to race a full marathon. There are obvious differences with cycling, of course. For instance, one of the reasons to not do too long of a long run is to avoid the huge breakdown caused by such long runs. Cycling doesn't have that aspect. Still, it might be interesting and you might find some ideas to apply to your cycling...
Old 06-29-20, 06:29 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Marylander
You might check out the Hanson marathon method (for the general principles). I think the longest pre-marathon run they've got is 16 miles (much shorter thanttypical) but it is pre-exhausted. So, the cumulative effect of the Saturday run and Sunday run prepare a runner to race a full marathon. There are obvious differences with cycling, of course. For instance, one of the reasons to not do too long of a long run is to avoid the huge breakdown caused by such long runs. Cycling doesn't have that aspect. Still, it might be interesting and you might find some ideas to apply to your cycling...
Thanks for the tip. This sounds exactly (in the context of running) like what I was thinking about. And the rationale is even the same where in my case (knee issues) I have to kind of 'meter out' long rides much like a marathon runner. FWIW, I was a 2500 miles per year runner back in the late 70's and early 80's.

dave
Old 06-29-20, 08:10 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Thanks for the tip. This sounds exactly (in the context of running) like what I was thinking about. And the rationale is even the same where in my case (knee issues) I have to kind of 'meter out' long rides much like a marathon runner. FWIW, I was a 2500 miles per year runner back in the late 70's and early 80's.
Ah, good. I hope there's something you can pick up from their ideas. I am just switching from running to cycling. I've never gotten to 2500 annual miles but it wouldn't surprise me if I did more hours in a year than a typical 2500 miler (I'm a slow runner ).