Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Now I want a headbadge!

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Now I want a headbadge!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 05:55 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Now I want a headbadge!

So now that my first frame is painted and lug lined I had a thought while riding today.
How difficult would it be to cut out a SS "C" and form it to the headtube? I would attach it with silicone.
I really am going to finish up and ride this bike. Someday!!
Old 06-28-20, 07:29 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Well Tom you already know the basic principles involved that are the same as when you carved your blank lugs. You can start with the same font you used in the down tube lettering. It may have to be enlarged or reduced. A flat piece of stainless plate after cutting can be curved by squeezing between a thick inner steel tube and a slightly bigger outer tube cut in half.
Old 06-29-20, 05:34 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Doug, what thickness would you recommend? I'm sure we probably discussed it before but....😁
Old 06-29-20, 07:10 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Doug, what thickness would you recommend? I'm sure we probably discussed it before but....😁
A commonly available size is 1/16" (0.062") but a little thinner like (0.040") would be more ideal. Here is a picture of a student frame that bought a 12" X 12" X 1/16" SS sheet for around $20. He brazed it onto the seat tube. He is from Michigan so you can figure out the name and plate symbolism.
Old 06-29-20, 07:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
My head badge is a simple "S". I had a batch (actually on batch #2 just recently) cut out by EMachineShop.com. I knew long ago that I would be doing this building thing for years to come so decided to invest the couple hundred $, I am very glad I did.

One aspect of what I did was the "s" is cut from flat plate and thus needs bending to fit the HT. The narrow vertical portions of the "S" don't bend like the horizontal portions do. This soden't affect the silver brazing attachment and I just file the vertical portions a bit on their edges to mimic a true "tube like" cut out. The first two I made were from a tube. This taught me that it was a lot of work made challenging by the flexible nature of the "S" and it's holding steady during filing. I found a jeweler's saw to be really nice for this.

There are at least a couple of people out there who have done one offs for others. If you are going to make another frame or 4 I strongly suggest you consider having a few badges made up and on hand now. Andy
Old 06-30-20, 11:45 AM
Ocelotl 

Bikes: '83 Specialized Allez by 3Rensho; '71 Colin Cape; '80 Gios Torino; '76 Eisentraut Limited; 80's Francisco Cuevas Rando; '96 Waterford 2200; Eisentraut Model A;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Youtube video

Paul Brodie recently posted a video about making badges from aluminum tubing
"Custom Headtube Badge - Framebuilding 101 with Paul Brodie"
Newbie, can't post a link
Old 06-30-20, 12:02 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many