Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

New Safety Product

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

New Safety Product

Old 07-01-20, 12:37 AM
pghcycling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Safety Product

Hello!

I am currently doing research into the details of an AI-driven dash cam product made specifically for bicyclists to serve as an advocacy and safety tool. My team is working out of a company called Peregrine Technologies that is based in Berlin, Germany. Peregrine is currently in the late stages of development for a dash cam product that works to improve traffic safety and efficiency for vehicles (you can find our work at the website: peregrine.ai ).

We believe that a modification of Peregrine's current product could be beneficial for the cycling community (specifically in Germany/Europe right now, more expansive in the future) in improving road safety and your general experience cycling in your cities. Since the current market for cameras for cyclists seems to be fairly small, we would like to develop something beyond the limited and manual functionality of current devices using the traffic-analyzing AI we have already developed for vehicle dash cams.

We are hoping to interview a few people to see how a potential product could improve your experience as a cyclist in European cities. The interview would be about 15-20 minutes. In addition, you would be one of the first to hear about a product if it does become available in the future, and would have the opportunity to work with us more to shape the product experience!

If you have any time in the upcoming days to have a short phone call with us, it would be much appreciated, and will hopefully lead to a product that could be an asset to the community as a whole. The phone call can be anonymous through Google Meet if that is preferred as well. Thanks for reading!
Old 07-11-20, 09:26 PM
Tyagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's really cool
Old 07-13-20, 03:47 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
It is not clear what you are trying to sell.

A few competing products to keep in mind.
  • Garmin Varia Radar. This is supposed to give a warning when a car is approaching from behind.
  • Cycliq Fly 6 (rear camera light combo)
    Cycliq Fly Fly 12 (front camera light combo)
  • GoPro and similar bike and helmet mounted cameras.
I think a couple of companies have experimented with glasses mounted "heads up displays", although I'm not sure if they are on the market now

I'm trying to think of what kind of "smart" features would be useful.

One thing about the Cycliq cameras is they are looping, but also have an auto off feature when turned sideways.

License plates would be important for crash analysis, and ideally should be readable day or night.