Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to remove C'dale eccentric bottom bracket?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 07:51 AM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Bikes: 2006 Trek T2000 Tandem, a Fat bike and a CX bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I want to remove the eccentric shell to clean and regrease everything before reassembly of the tandem, its a 2008 RT3 cannondale

How do I remove the eccentric shell from the frame?

The cranks are off, the eccentric turns freely, but I can't slide it on either side to remove it.

do I have to unscrew the bearings from the eccentric first?

Thank you!
Old 09-17-14, 11:12 AM
CapTandem
and HemiGirl!

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Tandem; 2006 Specialized Roubaix; 1993 Specialized Allez Epic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2007 Cannondale Tandem has the "double-wedge" eccentric, which I am almost certain you will have.

As designed by Cannondale, tightening the hex head cap screw, opposite the timing chain side, will tighten both wedges at the same time. A very secure design. The rub is when you want to loosen both wedges to adjust or remove the eccentric. The hex head cap screw is secured to the wedge with an internal "c" ring. Loosening the screw will push against both wedges to loosen the eccentric, as long as the "c" ring is in place.

My experience was that the groove in the wedge for the internal "c" ring was easily "rounded" off, and once that happened, I could not get a "c" ring to stay in place for the hex head screw to push against. I was stuck and both wedges can be very difficult to loosen. I would suggest that you loosen the hex head screw and gently tap to remove the wedge on the timing chain side. Then gently tap the body of the eccentric toward the timing chain side. This is the best option that I know of.

My solution was to go to Tandems East and purchase from Mel his modified "double-wedge" eccentric for the Cannondale. He was willing to refund part of my purchase price when I returned my old eccentric to him as a "core" for him to "remanufacture". That was four years ago, and he may have modified his policy.

There are other upgrade eccentrics that you can purchase for more money, but I found this to be the best bang for my buck.

Good luck, and hope to see you on the road!
Old 09-17-14, 01:36 PM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is what I want to do, both wedges are loose, eccentric turns freely, but the shell will not come out, do I have to remove the bearings first so it wil come out?
should it just slide out of the timing chain side?

Originally Posted by CapTandem
My 2007 Cannondale Tandem has the "double-wedge" eccentric, which I am almost certain you will have.

As designed by Cannondale, tightening the hex head cap screw, opposite the timing chain side, will tighten both wedges at the same time. A very secure design. The rub is when you want to loosen both wedges to adjust or remove the eccentric. The hex head cap screw is secured to the wedge with an internal "c" ring. Loosening the screw will push against both wedges to loosen the eccentric, as long as the "c" ring is in place.

My experience was that the groove in the wedge for the internal "c" ring was easily "rounded" off, and once that happened, I could not get a "c" ring to stay in place for the hex head screw to push against. I was stuck and both wedges can be very difficult to loosen. I would suggest that you loosen the hex head screw and gently tap to remove the wedge on the timing chain side. Then gently tap the body of the eccentric toward the timing chain side. This is the best option that I know of.

My solution was to go to Tandems East and purchase from Mel his modified "double-wedge" eccentric for the Cannondale. He was willing to refund part of my purchase price when I returned my old eccentric to him as a "core" for him to "remanufacture". That was four years ago, and he may have modified his policy.

There are other upgrade eccentrics that you can purchase for more money, but I found this to be the best bang for my buck.

Good luck, and hope to see you on the road!
Edit, ok, got it, removed the BB cups, a few taps on the eccentric shell with a rubber mallet and it came out.
Interesting to see the weight of a M/S bare cannondale frame, heavier than I expected

Last edited by Eddie50; 09-17-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 11:09 PM
CapTandem
and HemiGirl!

Bikes: 2007 Cannondale Tandem; 2006 Specialized Roubaix; 1993 Specialized Allez Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got home from work (midnight local time). Glad to read that you got the eccentric out. Sounds like your home free. Have fun!
Old 09-18-14, 12:37 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I work in a shop that sells Cannondales and a couple of other bike brands. We joke that the big rubber mallet in the workshop is only for Cannondale bikes because we seem to need to use it to do any major task on any Cannondale frame (removing Hollowgram crank axles, Lefty fork tubes, eccentric BBs, etc., etc.), but rarely have to use it on any other bikes. Therefore, the general rule of thumb to remove something from a Cannondale is to give it good bash.
Old 09-18-14, 06:19 AM
Eddie50
Blind Runner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the tips everyone!

would anybody know the size of the circlip and washer that holds the wedge bolt? I have to change them and put new ones, did not find specs on the cannondale manual.
Old 09-18-14, 09:10 AM
CapTandem
and HemiGirl!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a match at my local Ace Hardware store, back with the exotic nuts and bolts in the pull out drawers. It was listed on the pull out drawer, as I recall, as an internal "C" ring clip, it was the smallest one in the drawer.

I gave up on the circlip in the wedge and bought a modified eccentric, as I described above. Before I gave up, I purchased a replacement circlip from Cannondale through my local bike shop because I could not find a spec for replacement. Turned out to be the same one available at the hardware store.
Old 09-18-14, 10:53 PM
eliisadick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie50
I want to remove the eccentric shell to clean and regrease everything before reassembly of the tandem, its a 2008 RT3 cannondale

How do I remove the eccentric shell from the frame?

The cranks are off, the eccentric turns freely, but I can't slide it on either side to remove it.

do I have to unscrew the bearings from the eccentric first?

Thank you!
https://www.tandemseast.com/parts/brackets.html...Hi Eddie50 get replacement EBB modified by them . swap your existing Eccentric shell with theirs .Dont waste your time like I did ,ordered parts from Cannondale .the grooves that the clips rest in is too shallow poor design .
Old 09-21-14, 05:24 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
The 'dale setup is not exactly the best/easiest available.
Leave up to Mel K at Tandems East to come up with a better mousetrap!
Peal on~
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-01-20, 09:27 PM
RoyDavies3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale eccentric bottom bracket, easy out

Unscrew the wedge bolt two turns.
Tap bolt head with punch to loosen threaded wedge. Repeat unscrew.
tap till wobbly.

Cannondale BB removal

Cannondale rod to knock out head wedge.

Unscrew wedge bolt until head wedge pops out or (more likely) bolt pushes out washer and circlip.
Remove bolt.
Insert 3mm diameter x 100mm long rod into threaded wedge hole to press against inside of head wedge.
Tap out head wedge till loose.
See attached photos and Cannondale instructions. 117244.PDF
Old 07-01-20, 09:33 PM
RoyDavies3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale eccentric bottom bracket, easy out

Photos of Cannondale BB removal.
Attached Files