Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2020 Domane gravel build

Old 06-03-20, 04:40 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Emilio700
Update after a few thousand miles of mostly offroad use. Had the nuts that hold the isospeed trunion in place come loose. Misdiagnosed as a loose headset so I rode on it for a while that way. Doh. Thankfully, the nuts (#22 in schematic) have a conical versus shank seat design. So the bosses in the frame weren't ovalized. A bit of tiny carbon fragments but I escaped a major frame repair. The nuts have an integral eccentric washer that keeps them from spinning as you turn the center bolt (#21) to torque down. The nuts were blue loctited from the factory. Cleaned and red loctited, then probably over torqued a wee bit. No play, all good now. The bolts on my Boone with front isospeed never came loose with maybe 3x the miles and a bunch of cross races. Maybe a different fastener design on the '18 Boone, dunno

So if you have a 2020 Domane and ride it off road, might not be a bad idea to preemptively pull those fasteners and red loctite them to factory torque spec.

Does it ever need to come apart for maintenance? If so I’d use blue. Red usually needs heat to soften.
Old 06-03-20, 08:23 AM
Emilio700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Does it ever need to come apart for maintenance? If so I’d use blue. Red usually needs heat to soften.
I don't really know yet. I have only had it apart once. First test ride was yesterday and I think the bolt that goes through the trunion might be worn because the steerer still has it a bit of play even though the bolts are tight.

The tapered carbon seats in the frame that everything attaches to are still intact which was my greatest worry. I had preemptively ordered spares of the front decoupler assembly for a potential future service but now it looks like I'm going to need to put those in soon.

If there is a flaw it is that the bolt is not held fixed in place but actually spins like a bearing. The two nuts on either side of the head tube are held in place by the cccentric washers. You put an allen key into the center of the bolt and turn it like a jack screw. All the pounding of the entire upper headset bearing gets transmitted to that jackscrew like bolt which probably makes it flex, which makes it rotate. So the design fix would either be an aggressive threadlocker like red Loctite or a much larger diameter bolt to reduce or eliminate the flex that causes the fasteners to loosen.

Thousands of front ISO speed users out there and I have not seen any reports or issues with it. I believe mine is an anomaly with the rather extreme use I put the bike through. I will update this thread as I dig into it and find a permanent solution or at the very least, a routine service schedule.
Old 06-03-20, 07:02 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JVG
Domane 2020
in general how do you like the bike ? Can you fit a 40mm tire with 4mm of clearance each side ? I notice you also have a checkpoint alr .. I ride aprox 70% road and 30% light gravel and dirt roads and looking to ad another bike to the collection but cant decide between those 2 ? Maybe you can help with some insight as you own both
I absolutely love my 2020 Domane..will have fit for a long time. I tried to fit the 43c tires from the Checkpoint onto the Domane last night and they don't quite fit...the rear one rubs at the fender mount in the crotch of the chain stays. My estimate is that a 38c is the biggest I'll ever run on the Domane with the 4mm clearance either side. Tons of room on the checkpoint though.

Based on your use-case description, I would spend money on a new Domane and get some nice 35c tires. The 32c R3 tires that come on the bike will do light gravel just fine. I would only go Checkpoint if you were tackling much more aggressive stuff and prefer the GRX groupset.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-03-20, 07:39 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I tried to fit the 43c tires from the Checkpoint onto the Domane last night and they don't quite fit...the rear one rubs at the fender mount in the crotch of the chain stays.
Did you get a chance to measure the actual width with a caliper? I had not considered nor checked the vertical clearance. I was just focusing on the sides of the tire. Obviously a 43c is going to be taller as well as wider.
Old 06-03-20, 07:43 PM
JVG
Me ride bikes

Bikes: Trek checkpoint SL5 , AL5 , Ryenolds

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for everyone's advice I did in fact pic up a domane today . I grabbed the matte black on black SL6 and so far I love it . Only put around 3 miles on it today because it was getting late when I got home. Right now it still has the stock tires but I'm open to opinions on a good gravel/road 38mm tire. I probably will eventually grab an ALR5 Checkpoint at some point or maybe build a steel dedicated gravel rig

I absolutely love my 2020 Domane..will have fit for a long time. I tried to fit the 43c tires from the Checkpoint onto the Domane last night and they don't quite fit...the rear one rubs at the fender mount in the crotch of the chain stays. My estimate is that a 38c is the biggest I'll ever run on the Domane with the 4mm clearance either side. Tons of room on the checkpoint though.

Good luck with your decision.
Likes For JVG:
Old 06-10-20, 10:03 PM
jgoldstein2000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JVG
Thank you for everyone's advice I did in fact pic up a domane today . I grabbed the matte black on black SL6 and so far I love it . Only put around 3 miles on it today because it was getting late when I got home. Right now it still has the stock tires but I'm open to opinions on a good gravel/road 38mm tire. I probably will eventually grab an ALR5 Checkpoint at some point or maybe build a steel dedicated gravel rig
I also chose the SL6 (in white) and I put on 38mm schwalbe g one allround tubeless tires on. So far so good.
Old 06-10-20, 11:10 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by jgoldstein2000
I also chose the SL6 (in white) and I put on 38mm schwalbe g one allround tubeless tires on. So far so good.
pics!
Old 06-16-20, 07:35 PM
Emilio700

Turns out the cause of the remaining front ISO play after tightening the bolts was the upper headset bearing being worn. Replaced with a new $11 bearing and its tight as new. Lesson is, don't pound over rough terrain with a loose headset like and idiot (me).
I also swapped the swanky one (titanium) bolt 3T ARX-II stem for a beefier Zipp Carbon Speed stem with two bolts. A few rides on it now and it doesn't loosen up anymore. So using an single bolt road stem wasn't a good idea for rugged offroad use. In retrospect, that makes sense (duh).
Old 06-29-20, 03:48 PM
danielhet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this post Emilio! Loads of interesting information I was truly looking for. And you just gave me a good reason to buy the wireless unit...

I have been kindly forced by my wife to get rid of "at least one bike", as my business mission in the States is coming to an end after three years ... and I was short of argument for bringing back another 2 bikes (a gravel-backpacking Diamondback Hanjoo 5c and an aero-race Rondo HVRT CF0), having 2 more waiting for me in Europe... FINE!

So I decide to get a bike I could use for both road and gravel just by swapping wheels and tire (yes I get rid of two bikes but buy a new one...the power of negotiation). The Domane 2020 looked like the best choice and your post confirm that 100%, so I am delight by my purchase (DOMANE SL7).

Before I sold my gravel, I actually try to fit my 650x47b wheelset on the Domane and believe it or not ... it fits!!! HED rim 25mm wide + WTB Byway RoadPlus 47mm
But you definitely don't have much tire clearance (about 3mm each side at the front, 4 at the rear). What scares me the most is that 4mm that separate the tire from the front di2 derailleur... So for sure, a 47mm tire is out of the range for this bike, but a 42 to a 44 might fit just with enough clearance to enjoy a dry and rough gravel ride.
What do you guys think? Do you see any reason to prefer a 650x44b over a 700x40c or vice-versa?

I can't post photos being my first post on this forum!
Old 06-29-20, 04:00 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by danielhet
.. so I am delight by my purchase (DOMANE SL7).

Before I sold my gravel, I actually try to fit my 650x47b wheelset on the Domane and believe it or not ... it fits!!! HED rim 25mm wide + WTB Byway RoadPlus 47mm
But you definitely don't have much tire clearance (about 3mm each side at the front, 4 at the rear). What scares me the most is that 4mm that separate the tire from the front di2 derailleur... So for sure, a 47mm tire is out of the range for this bike, but a 42 to a 44 might fit just with enough clearance to enjoy a dry and rough gravel ride.
What do you guys think? Do you see any reason to prefer a 650x44b over a 700x40c or vice-versa?..
Depending on what mud clearance you think you need, 42-43mm actual width is doable. I think the frame itself has enough shock absorption that the 650b volume thing is obviated a bit. That leaves actual traction from the 650b to match. The best full tread 700c gravel tires have lots of grip when run low enough. I've been running 30 front, 34 rear psi in my Pirelli Gravel H's. No bottoming, comfy and very grippy in dirt. The Gravel H is a near slick in the center so a taller tread would be even better grip. To me, 650b is a single track or pure rocky trail tire size. 700x40's should do everything better in most gravel use cases.

That said, wow, 650b on a Domane!
Old 07-02-20, 04:18 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Depending on what mud clearance you think you need, 42-43mm actual width is doable. I think the frame itself has enough shock absorption that the 650b volume thing is obviated a bit. That leaves actual traction from the 650b to match. The best full tread 700c gravel tires have lots of grip when run low enough. I've been running 30 front, 34 rear psi in my Pirelli Gravel H's. No bottoming, comfy and very grippy in dirt. The Gravel H is a near slick in the center so a taller tread would be even better grip. To me, 650b is a single track or pure rocky trail tire size. 700x40's should do everything better in most gravel use cases.

That said, wow, 650b on a Domane!
Emilio...Just got 38c Rene Herse Barlow Pass installed per below and noted extreme proximity (1-2mm) of the tire to the Di2 FD. Can you comment on this? Have you used any protective film within the chain stays or the crotch of the chain stays for what is minimal clearance at these locations? Thanks very much.

Last edited by SkepticalOne; 07-02-20 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 04:46 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I can post pics now, yay.

If I may sir.
As a proud member of the I love orange crowd.
omg what a thing of beauty.
fantastic u went all in.
amazing choice. great bike.🤠
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 07-02-20, 05:53 AM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I'm with thehammerdog. I come to this thread just so I can drool over the pictures of your bike some more. Awesome!!!!
Likes For Roger Ramjet:
Old 07-02-20, 10:02 AM
Emilio700

Emilio...Just got 38c Rene Herse Barlow Pass installed per below and noted extreme proximity (1-2mm) of the tire to the Di2 FD. Can you comment on this? Have you used any protective film within the chain stays or the crotch of the chain stays for what is minimal clearance at these locations? Thanks very much.
My front derailleur is an R9100 Dura-Ace, the only one I have experience with on this bike. I imagine clearance will change depending on whether it is a GRX, Ultegra or the new 105. Which model FD is yours? That information might help other people who are readng this thread and considering a similar build. Of course there aren't bike industry standards for establishing tire casing volume. So one brands 40 might have more casing volume than another brands 40. In the automotive world, standards dictate what width rim you measure on so casing width is a bit more consistent.

I did not add any coatings or wraps on my frame to protect from tire or debris rubbing there but now that you mention it it's not a bad idea. On my 2014 Van Dessel carbon bike I squeezed tires in that were too big and rubbed some serious grooves into the carbon. No good that.
Old 07-02-20, 10:06 AM
SkepticalOne

My front derailleur is an R9100 Dura-Ace, the only one I have experience with on this bike. I imagine clearance will change depending on whether it is a GRX, Ultegra or the new 105. Which model FD is yours? That information might help other people who are readng this thread and considering a similar build. Of course there aren't bike industry standards for establishing tire casing volume. So one brands 40 might have more casing volume than another brands 40. In the automotive world, standards dictate what width rim you measure on so casing width is a bit more consistent.

I did not add any coatings or wraps on my frame to protect from tire or debris rubbing there but now that you mention it it's not a bad idea. On my 2014 Van Dessel carbon bike I squeezed tires in that were too big and rubbed some serious grooves into the carbon. No good that.
FD is the Ultegra R8050/70 series. Rim width may be doing me no favours, as its 25mm inner/32mm outer, possibly broadening the profile. What would you estimate your clearance to be to your FD? Cheers!
Old 07-02-20, 10:44 AM
Emilio700

With the 40c Pirelli Gravel H on 22mm internal rims (41.2mm actual), 46T outer, about 4mm clearance to R9100 FD. Chainring size plays a small role in clearance. As you reduce chainring size, the derailleur drops and moves away from the tire. So if you are running a sub compact 50t, your clearance might be a bit reduced from what I have.

For sure, rim width is also a factor here. It's close with Di2, but it works. I don't have any experience with etap but looking at their form factor, they could also be a bit tight . Safe to say that it is a non-issue with a mechanical FD.

Last edited by Emilio700; 07-02-20 at 11:40 AM.
Likes For Emilio700:
Old 07-02-20, 11:15 AM
SkepticalOne

With the 40c Pirelli Gravel H on 22mm internal rims, 46T outer, about 5mm clearance to R9100 FD. Chainring size plays a small role in clearance. As you reduce chainring size, the derailleur drops and moves away from the tire. So if you are running a sub compact 50t, your clearance might be a bit reduced from what I have.

For sure, rim width is also a factor here. It's close with Di2, but it works. I don't have any experience with etap but looking at their form factor, they could also be a bit tight . Safe to say that it is a non-issue with a mechanical FD.
Makes good sense...appreciate the help. I'm going to apply some helicopter tape to the back of the FD body to protect from superficial damage. Already had the entire frame coated with protective film. Not too worried about the FD body, but may as well have the tape there in order to gauge susceptibility on first few rides.
Old 07-02-20, 10:09 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
My new 38mm Steilacoom extralight black, setup tubeless measure 38.8mm on a 22mmInner rim. 45psi.

Knob edge-to-edge is 37.1mm.

I'm expecting the extralight to expand by at least a mm after some time.

Just putting this option out there, as these things are just as fast on sealed roads as I've read.
There is zero knob transition feel when you lean the bike over.

Mainly got these for sealed in combo with steep/loose climbing so I don't lose rear grip.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 07-02-20 at 10:11 PM. Reason: txt
Old 08-07-20, 08:40 AM
mtthw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are those Arundel cages holding up? I'm having a hard time finding any info on the material (or any reviews for that matter) of the cage itself and I'd like to know your thoughts.
Old 08-07-20, 09:10 AM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by mtthw
How are those Arundel cages holding up? I'm having a hard time finding any info on the material (or any reviews for that matter) of the cage itself and I'd like to know your thoughts.
These are the cheaper nylon version, Bando. So far, indestructible and I have yet to have a bottle even come loose let alone kick out completely. And I ride some very rough rugged trails with fast washboard descents.

After constantly losing bottles with my king tubular stainless cages on my XC race bike, I just swapped in an Arundel Dave-O carbon. Problem solved, and it's lighter to boot.

I highly recommend them.
Old 08-07-20, 11:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Makes good sense...appreciate the help. I'm going to apply some helicopter tape to the back of the FD body to protect from superficial damage. Already had the entire frame coated with protective film. Not too worried about the FD body, but may as well have the tape there in order to gauge susceptibility on first few rides.
This is a thing?
So like a screen protector for your entire bike?
Old 08-07-20, 12:18 PM
Emilio700

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is a thing?
Yup. Just clear vinyl that's a bit stretchy. You can find it on Amazon in sheets. Heat it up a bit to stretch. Same basic stuff that bike mfrs currently use on certain areas.
Old 08-08-20, 06:31 AM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This is a thing?
https://bikeshieldprotection.com
Old 08-08-20, 12:25 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Get an orange dayglow vest and socks to complete the look.
Old 08-08-20, 01:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Ah, paid to have someone figure out all the curves and creases. Good decision.

I know of the helicopter tape being applied in a few areas if someone is concerned a stone might hit their bike, but figured anything more was crazy to do at home. Nice call having pros do it.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.