Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Personal bike shop

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Personal bike shop

Old 07-02-20, 07:13 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .....Raleigh "Super GP"...... ........................................

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
branko,
Even more reason to have some kind of insurance (smiles!). I was helping out tonight with a friend on a Holley four barrel that had 15 years of old gas varnished up in it. Gm 454 with HEI ignition and I told the story we got a GM tech school about not pulling the plug wires off the spark plugs because it would weld your zipper to the fender. It left a lasting impression on all mechanics who passed through the school. Same kinda stuff applies to bike mechanics. Smiles, MH
So, what type of insurance should one get that would cover "welding your zipper to the fender" ?

Let's assume the zipper and fender are both owned by the same person, and the unfortunate mishap occurs in his own garage .

Last edited by branko_76; 07-02-20 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Trek 770, Trek 760, Schwinn Peloton, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 207 Posts
branko,
I'd wager there is an agent somewhere that would sell insurance to folks in drunken moments who start every discussion with " Hey watch this! " Smiles, MH
Old 07-03-20, 09:09 PM
bwmoeling

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should start with a great bike stand. And don't get an entry-level one with thoughts of upgrading: you'll want a good one, so if you buy the cheaper one that will just make the one you eventually buy that much more expensive. I had a low-end portable one for a while and then got a Park Tool stand; it was okay, not great. Then when I moved and I was responsible for more bikes, I went with the Feedback Sports Pro Elite, and got the tool tray and the wheel truing attachments. WORTH IT. I have long since forgotten the $300 I spent on it but am still totally benefiting from the premium stand.

On tools, too, you should always get the better tool when you're buying one. A cheap tool will always frustrate you.

You might start with the Park Tool PK-4 professional tool kit. Although I think you will have to buy the Park Tool Pizza Cutter separately.
Old 07-03-20, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by bwmoeling View Post
I think you should start with a great bike stand. And don't get an entry-level one with thoughts of upgrading: you'll want a good one, so if you buy the cheaper one that will just make the one you eventually buy that much more expensive. I had a low-end portable one for a while and then got a Park Tool stand; it was okay, not great. Then when I moved and I was responsible for more bikes, I went with the Feedback Sports Pro Elite, and got the tool tray and the wheel truing attachments. WORTH IT. I have long since forgotten the $300 I spent on it but am still totally benefiting from the premium stand.

On tools, too, you should always get the better tool when you're buying one. A cheap tool will always frustrate you.

You might start with the Park Tool PK-4 professional tool kit. Although I think you will have to buy the Park Tool Pizza Cutter separately.
I agree with this up until the buy a kit.

My reasons for not buying a kit is there are tools that I want which come in no kit or I may already have some of those tools or there may be something else. Park makes some decent higher end or super practical stuff and some fine entry level stuff but I would rather buy tools individually so I can get exactly what suits my needs (or wants). I wish I had got the Abbey Crombie instead of the Park tool copy which is super heavy and doesn't do well on some ScRAM (non-XD) cassettes I have. However I haven't used a better screwdriver than the Park DSD-2/4 and don't see a need for anything else. It is JIS (which is better than/compatible with Phillips ), really nice in the hand and Made in 'Merica.

A cheap tool will certainly frustrate you. I have bought plenty of stuff where I am like, damn I wish I had gotten something better. I think maybe I will use it once and a while and then I am using it frequently
Old 07-04-20, 06:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 270 Posts
I've found that cheap tools are more likely to slip, round off, or strip the hardware. It seems like every christmas, my stocking at the in-laws has cheap tools from the dollar store in them. They don't stay in my possession long.