Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

hairline wrist fracture

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

hairline wrist fracture

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 01:09 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hairline wrist fracture

hey guys

crashed last week and went for wrist xray today at the urgent care. they found a lateral non displaced hairline fracture in the wrist ( i didnt ask what bone) anyway they recommended i follow up with the ortho .....do i have to get a hard cast? do they sometimes splint in for minor breaks? any input on this would be great as im looking at my cycling summer and fitness going down the drain!
Old 07-02-20, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You trust us more than the opinion of doctors? I would have asked the first doctor to be sure to refer me to someone with sports related experience too. For certain be up front and tell the new doctor of your concerns. Sometimes there are other acceptable treatments that a doctor won't consider if they don't know you have a special need.
Old 07-02-20, 01:32 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You trust us more than the opinion of doctors? I would have asked the first doctor to be sure to refer me to someone with sports related experience too. For certain be up front and tell the new doctor of your concerns. Sometimes there are other acceptable treatments that a doctor won't consider if they don't know you have a special need.
no i dont trust your opinions more than doctors...im looking for people who have been through the experience to give some input.....
Old 07-02-20, 01:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Okay. Still the same advice.

With all my injuries that might affect my riding and other things I do, I talk to the doctors and tell them my concerns. I don't like pre-supposing what might be done. If a doctor doesn't already have the experience with something that might have been done to someone else by another doctor, then I'd be leery of letting the doctor gain experience in that new treatment using me as the guinea pig.
Old 07-02-20, 01:53 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Without the orthopod looking at your x-ray all this stuff is meaningless.

No idea which bone... just that it's nondisplaced.

Look at your paperwork from urgent care. Should have a diagnosis on it with the bone (hopefully). Wrist could be many bones with some healing better than others.

TLDR; Go to the orthopod.
Old 07-03-20, 04:47 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Non displaced wrist fracture = removable orthosis for 6 weeks, No range of motion and non weight bearing to avoid displacement if intra articular extension as you might end up having osteoarthritis if there is a 2mm intra articular step off.

Displaced Colles wrist fracture more than 10 degrees dorsal angulation or 2mm shortening or 10 degrees radial styloid inclination loss are surgical indications.

theses are the conservative vs surgical criteria, now without an XRay it’s impossible to tell in your specific fracture

Last edited by dr_max; 07-03-20 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-03-20, 04:54 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
hey guys

crashed last week and went for wrist xray today at the urgent care. they found a lateral non displaced hairline fracture in the wrist ( i didnt ask what bone) anyway they recommended i follow up with the ortho .....do i have to get a hard cast? do they sometimes splint in for minor breaks? any input on this would be great as im looking at my cycling summer and fitness going down the drain!

https://www.orthobullets.com/trauma/...dLeftMenu=true
Old 07-03-20, 08:15 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Just go see an ortho doctor!
Old 07-03-20, 05:02 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Just go see an ortho doctor!
i am!!
Old 07-04-20, 12:59 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
i am!!
Didn't mean to come across so critically, just terse. I took a fall on the bike a couple of years ago. Fortunately a couple out walking and only a couple of blocks from their home offered to go get their can and get me and the bike home.
​​​​​My wife was not at home. When she returned, off we went to a smaller hospital ER where an X-Ray confirmed a three way fracture of the upper portion of my left humorous. They forwarded the image to an orthopedic surgeon who had repaired my rotator cuff years before.
It wasn't until that follow-up appt that I got the details and recovery course of action. Just trying to cut to the chase as they say. Good luck with yours.
​​​​​​