Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Part Compatibility for a Bike Build

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 11:59 AM
dc.charles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in the process of converting one of my old road bikes into a gravel-ish bike. I am mainly doing this as a way to teach myself how to work on my own bikes. I have a question about parts compatibility, having learned my lesson when I turned one of my other bikes into a fixed gear bike.

The bike in question is probably a 8 year old aluminum Felt (sorry I don't know the exact info, I bought it used about 5 years ago). The existing groupset was Shimano 105. I am currently planning on adding:

Panaracer Gravelking 700c tire 700c x 28
Shimano 105 br-r7000 rim brake calipers
Shimano hg-50 10 speed cassette 11-36t
Shimano Ultegra CN-6600 10 speed chain
SRAM Apex 1 GXP crankset
Shimano GRX RD-RX400 rear derailleur

My main question is, will all of these work together? I am specifically wondering about the SRAM crankset and the shimano derailleur and cassette. In looking at the Shimano GRX, it says it is compatible with current Shimano 10-speed shifters. Is 8ish years still current/ I was not planning on replacing the shifters and just wouldn't have anything connected to the front gear shifter. Also, would I need a different bottom bracket?

Any help would be very much appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 07-04-20, 02:20 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Probably not:
https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...-454&cid=C-453

Only compatible with 10 speed Tiagra shifters which use the 11 speed pull ratio
Likes For Elvo:
Old 07-04-20, 02:46 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Another question, do your frame and fork have enough clearance for 700-28 tires? A lot of older road bikes didn't.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-04-20, 03:30 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
As noted above, RX400 is not compatible with 10 speed 105. If you don't need a clutch, just buy a 9 speed Shimano MTB derailleur. If you do need a clutch and want to use your existing shifters, pretty much the only option is to use a 10 speed Wolftooth Tanpan with a 10 or 11 speed Shiman Dynasys MTB derailleur. This will open up the possibility of using a much larger cassette if you want.

Also TBH I'd avoid GXP cranksets if you can source something else that works for your application and budget. The bearing configuration is worse than with Shimano or other brands that use two 24mm ID bearings. It'll work fine if that's what you go with, though.

Also, 700x28 is really just a pleasant road tire for bad pavement. You certainly can ride a lot of unpaved surfaces with a 28, but it's really far from anything that could be described as a gravel tire. Maybe consider seeing if your frame will work with a 650b conversion and long reach brakes.
Likes For cpach:
Old 07-04-20, 04:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
It's going to be difficult and expensive for you to move to 1X with any kind of useful range. I'd suggest a GRX double crank, a 9 speed mtb rear derailleur and 34T cassette. Agree that 28 will be marginal for more than smooth dirt roads unless you have exceptional bike skills.
Old 07-04-20, 04:43 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
That Shimano compatibility chart is pretty complicated, and of course I can't find all the parts that I used for my MTB build on the MTB page. It all seems to work though. With the GRX derailleur and the 105 shifters you would need to check cable pull to know if they would work together. The chart says no, but sometimes things will work. I always thought that Shimano kept everything compatible within the same speed system but I guess I'm wrong.
Old 07-04-20, 04:55 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
That Shimano compatibility chart is pretty complicated, and of course I can't find all the parts that I used for my MTB build on the MTB page. It all seems to work though. With the GRX derailleur and the 105 shifters you would need to check cable pull to know if they would work together. The chart says no, but sometimes things will work. I always thought that Shimano kept everything compatible within the same speed system but I guess I'm wrong.
Yup. 4700 uses 11 speed pull ratios on a 10 speed system and is very incompatible with other 10 speed shifters. Not on the official chart, you can use 4700 shifters with 11 speed derailleurs, and 11 speed shifters with 4700 derailleurs, though they probably have tweaked some of the derailleur dimensions slightly for the different chain widths.
Old 07-04-20, 05:47 PM
dc.charles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all so much for the wisdom. A lot to think about. Does anyone have any advice on how to figure out if my frame can use 650?
Old 07-04-20, 06:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
This https://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blog...sion-guidlines will tell you where to measure.