Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Are Junk Miles?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Are Junk Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-16, 03:03 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Never heard the term before now.

Now that I've heard it, I don't believe there's any such thing, especially not while on the bike.
Old 08-02-16, 03:23 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
There is no such thing as "Junk Miles" for us over 50 crowd. Think of how many of your friends don't exercise at all. Now think about the fact that instead of driving two miles to the grocery store you bike it. Start doing that regularly and the miles start to add up pretty quickly. Those miles also contribute to better over-all health and hopefully a longer life.

Riding doesn't always have to be about training or getting into the zone. It's about working the body.

The next time you drive by some home or commercial construction see if the brick or stone masonry crew is working. If they are, stop and take a look. There's usually one "old guy" working on each crew. Check out his physique. Yeah, even well into their 60's most masons could put men 1/3 their age to shame. That's what working your body does for you.
I bike 2 to 5 miles to the food stores, 4 miles to Home Depot, 6 miles to Post Office, to my doctors and longer instead of driving and I do not record those miles. For me they are an alternative to using gasoline and wasting money and as such they are just miles, junk miles.
Old 08-02-16, 03:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Junk miles is a training and coaching term.

They are miles ridden with no other purpose than to increase mileage. Most people do this in zone 3 or "moderate" riding.
  • Recovery rides (zone 1) help you recover after an intense workout.
  • Base miles (zone 2) increase aerobic endurance.
  • Intervals, tempo and threshold workouts (zone 4+) increase power and speed.
Everything else is junk because there is little training benefit and significant recovery is required.As the article states, if you are not training with a specific goal and are just riding for fun then there is no such thing as junk miles. If you are training for a specific goal then you need to be careful about your intensity because moderate riding really serves no purpose and can hurt you in the long run.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-02-16 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 04:57 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Taken in the context of training to race and racing to be competitive and competing to win then, yes, "junk miles" can be self-defeating in a training regimen. I don't race so I don't consider those miles I ride to be junk miles. The post was asking for an opinion not a right or wrong answer.

I think TimothyH is correct when he stated this is a training and coaching term.

Last edited by drlogik; 08-02-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 04:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Junk Miles seems to come from the racing riders.

If a mile gets one away from the TV it is Not Junk.

Old 08-02-16, 05:04 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
In the dead of winter here in N Michigan, any ride is a struggle beyond reason. Even then, at night and in a lake effect snowstorm, there is no such thing as junk miles. A 7mi ride may take you nearly an hour but is very effective for maintaining fitness.
Old 08-02-16, 05:19 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'm an avid rider with goals that include top speeds, improving avg speed and fast PRs. Distances are not my physical forte, never has been. So, with the improving of riding to this end, weight loss is a major factor. My losing 25lbs this season has hinged on the nightly rides I take around town, just puttering along. These "junk miles" are calories burned and muscles invigorated.

Just a few thoughts, y'all.
Back in the pre-electronic stat-crazy day, you never heard of "junk miles"

gm
Old 08-02-16, 05:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Junk miles are whatever the speaker looks down on. He may be a roadie who prides himself on his speed and endurance and so thinks of a half mile jaunt to the market isn't really riding. So, to him, those may be "junk miles", but it's simply his perspective.

The concept of junk miles only matters if you consider miles important. To those of us who ride when and how the mood strikes us, and don't care about metrics, it's a foreign concept.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-02-16, 05:52 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Miles you ride while trying to find your heroin connection.
Old 08-02-16, 05:58 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Old 08-02-16, 06:07 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
There is no such thing as "Junk Miles" for us over 50 crowd. Think of how many of your friends don't exercise at all.
I don't feel anywhere near that old
Old 08-02-16, 06:23 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Dang, wish I'd said that in the OP.
Old 08-02-16, 06:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If you don't train by heart rate, then "junk miles" is a term that means nothing to you.
Old 08-02-16, 07:04 PM
OldsCOOL

Is a recovery ride in the class of junk miles?
Old 08-02-16, 07:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Is a recovery ride in the class of junk miles?
No, if you keep it in zone 2. Recovery rides are just as important as hard rides for training purposes. The whole concept of training is to stress the muscles and then rest them. You get stronger when you're resting, as a reaction to the previous stress.
Old 08-02-16, 07:42 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
But both "base" and "recovery" miles are also "Miles added into your training plan with no purpose other than to increase your mileage".

In this old iconoclast's opinion, the whole concept of "junk miles" is along the lines of buzzwords with no other purpose than to inflate the value of advice by a coach or training program. It's arbitrary, without sufficient justification either in theory or heuristic data to be convincing.
Old 08-02-16, 08:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If you don't train by heart rate, then "junk miles" is a term that means nothing to you.
But just because you don't know they are junk miles doesn't mean they don't exist. Lots of guys who train with power spend time doing junk miles.

I would say that if you don't train at all but just ride then there are no such thing as junk miles.

Many amateur/recreational cyclists have vague and unmeasurable goals such as "get faster" or "increase fitness." Many of these "train" by doing lots of junk miles - miles that require significant recovery time but do little to increase speed, power or aerobic endurance.

Workouts that increase increase speed/power are done at very high intensity and require adequate recovery time - time that most people are not willing to spend off the bike recovering or riding recovery rides. Workouts that increase aerobic endurance are typically done at a pace too slow for most riders tastes. They are just not willing to ride that slow, at a zone1 or zone 2 pace.

The result is splitting the difference, riding "moderately", never really recovering and total miles on Strava becomes the primary metric for performance and fitness.

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-02-16 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 08:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by wphamilton
But both "base" and "recovery" miles are also "Miles added into your training plan with no purpose other than to increase your mileage".

In this old iconoclast's opinion, the whole concept of "junk miles" is along the lines of buzzwords with no other purpose than to inflate the value of advice by a coach or training program. It's arbitrary, without sufficient justification either in theory or heuristic data to be convincing.

With all due respect, you are ill informed.

Recovery miles are ridden to aid recovery from a previous, high intensity workout. Base miles are ridden to increase aerobic endurance. That is the purpose of these workouts. They are done at specific, measurable intensities to generate the desired result, recovery and aerobic endurance respectively.

There is plenty of data to back up the idea of a zone where training effect is minimal but recovery time is significant. Too much time in this zone risks overtraining and injury. It isn't arbitrary but rooted in research and backed up with real world results at Olympic and pro levels. Olympic level athletes do what works and junk miles don't get you to the Olympics.

Again, to be clear, if you ride for the fun of it then no mile is junk.

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-02-16 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 09:02 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Recovery miles are ridden to aid recovery from a previous, high intensity workout. Base miles are ridden to increase aerobic endurance. That is the purpose of these workouts. They are done at specific, measurable intensities to generate the desired result, recovery and aerobic endurance respectively.

There is plenty of data to back up the idea of a zone where training effect is minimal but recovery time is significant. Too much time in this zone risks overtraining and injury. It isn't arbitrary but rooted in research and backed up with real world results at Olympic and pro levels. Olympic level athletes do what works and junk miles don't get you to the Olympics.

Great post!

I heard the term from running a long time before it came up in cycling. With running junk miles are the ones serving no purpose - not a recovery run or doesn't increase speed. Several coaches said people are often better off taking a rest day or cross training than putting in junk miles.

But even with intense cycling training, I think it's difficult to really put in miles considered as junk. Even easy riding keeps the legs loose and flexible. So as long as someone doesn't overdo easy spinning by riding a long time, I don't see any major downside.
Old 08-02-16, 09:55 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Timothy and BlazingSaddles have it right. In the beginning when we started riding all miles built up our VO2 and leg strength. Little junk miles then IMHO.

After a while we plateau unless we work harder such as doing high intervals and mixing up on our rides, like different intervals. Just like when our bodies sleep our muscles need recovery time after a hard effort to rest so the muscles can get stronger. Muscles only get stronger with hard and varying efforts then recovery.

Some coaches believe middle Heart Zones (forget exact level), neither make us stronger nor help us rest. This effort is call no mans zone or otherwise refer to a wasted effort--guess one could call them junk miles. The point is if you want to get stronger we need to ride at varying intensities including recovery times.

So, OldsCool if you are serious about getting ever stronger, best to learn about how to train or hire a trainer as I have and consider a power meter to help measure your effort.

Thanks for asking a great question.
Old 08-02-16, 10:39 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Whoa ... I've always understood the term "junk miles" to refer to the miles added to an otherwise great route on an organized ride just so it comes to an even 100/200 miles/km. And yea ... sometimes they really are kinda junky in comparison to the other miles on the route.

Old 08-03-16, 04:34 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Miami Biker

So, OldsCool if you are serious about getting ever stronger, best to learn about how to train or hire a trainer as I have and consider a power meter to help measure your effort.

Thanks for asking a great question.
I wasnt asking the question for my own knowledge, it was asked for the sake of conversation. I am doing well at getting stronger, my peaking season is coming in well this year. Hire a trainer? No.
Old 08-03-16, 05:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
With all due respect, you are ill informed.

No I'm informed of all that, and it doesn't relate to what I said was arbitrary and had no basis. I don't think we're on the same page about what I said has no basis. It's the concept of the "junk mile" (you're talking about all the other training miles, and all of that is well known to everyone reading, I hope). It is an arbitrary construct with no purpose other than to limit the total stress of training during a given time period. There is nothing intrinsic about these "junk miles" that makes them useless. I have seen no empirical data, anywhere, to support that conventional notion but I have seen training plans which specifically included the type of riding that people call junk miles. The concept relates to a specific plan, not to specific riding.

It's just wrong that "junk miles" - the actual riding, not the plan - can't perform the same function (recovery for instance). The only thing about the way you ride a "junk mile" that gives it different effects in training, that makes it "junk", is that it isn't one the trainer or plan told you to ride. The rest (no HR zone 3 for example) has no credible basis that I've seen.

Are you familiar with the more recent fad of Polarized Training?

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-03-16 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 06:51 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
I've always heard the term "junk miles" used to refer to those sections of a ride that are A) ugly, B) densely trafficked by automobiles, C) heavily-laden with traffic lights or other interruptions that prevent a cyclist from developing and/or sustaining any kind of rhythm or momentum, or D) all of the above.

It's easy enough to proclaim "any miles are good miles" but when you have to ride 15 miles along Union Turnpike in close proximity to speeding cars with a stoplight every block and nothing but junkyards, auto repair shops, and bodegas on either side of you just to get to the pristine suburban roads, those are definitely "junk".
Old 08-03-16, 06:52 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Junk miles is a training and coaching term.

[/INDENT]As the article states, if you are not training with a specific goal and are just riding for fun then there is no such thing as junk miles. If you are training for a specific goal then you need to be careful about your intensity because moderate riding really serves no purpose and can hurt you in the long run.

-Tim-
There are expressed specific goals and there are more like implicit. Riding has goals even if we don't say them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.