Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recumbent Tandems

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Recumbent Tandems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 09:53 AM
tandembethesda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent Tandems

My wife's back is starting to effect our tandem bike riding. Has anyone have or have ridden a recumbent tandem?

I saw online that Tandems East has RANS Recumbent Tandems. Definitely a lot more expensive than my Trek T900 that I bought used. ($450 compared to $6000-$8000)

Any and all comments would be appreciated by anyone with recumbent experienced.
Old 04-14-17, 10:31 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I've never ridden a recumbent tandem, but a good friend of mine owns a shop that sells Volae tandems for a bit less than $6000-$8000.

https://hostelshoppe.com/Recumbent-Recumbent-Tandem/

If you give them a call, just ask for Scott.
Old 04-14-17, 10:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Kind of apples and oranges to compare a mass market brand diamond frame tandem, used... to a new, specialty builder, recumbent tandem. Without trying all that hard, you could find diamond frame tandems, new, in the same price range as the Rans recumbents. So that's out the way. So... let's come down to earth. There are a number of recumbent tandems, new and used, in the $3K price range. There are also one or more hybrid designs that combine a recumbent "captain" compartment that does not steer, and a diamond frame "stoker" compartment that does also steer. The one by Hase (Pinto?) is not likely to be cheap, but I believe there are knock-off's. Recumbent tandems are also available used, just like regular tandems. On my bucket list is to build a recumbent tandem for me and mine. It will have a rear facing stoker compartment (back to back, rug aan rug in Dutch where they are a popular design).
Old 04-14-17, 10:58 AM
tandembethesda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely realize I'm going to have to pay more, but my Trek was the best $450 I every spent.

Wife was skeptical of buying a tandem, but now she loves it. Before my two biggest problems were getting to far ahead of her or her reluctance to go to far because she was concerned about getting back.

Now she doesn't blink at a 30 mile bike ride.
Old 04-14-17, 08:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We got a decade out of our $1100 starter KHS tandem but then upgraded to a RANS Screamer for the 2011 season. Considerably less than current prices because it was a Hostel Shoppe version and they were in the process of rolling out their own Volae tandems. The Volae tandems look to be verrry nice - but we love our Screamer. Just a guess, but I imagine there are more Screamers than any other 'bent tandem. I had already been riding recumbent bikes, so getting used to the Screamer was not difficult.
I agree with talking to the folks at Hostel Shoppe. (We bought ours from them sight unseen. Would recommend a test ride if you are unsure about 'bents.) I've heard good things about Tandems East, too.
Old 04-14-17, 11:05 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Is her back causing problems due to her position on the bike? Perhaps a decent bike fit might help?
Old 04-15-17, 04:17 AM
ncbikers

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a T900, an EZ Tandem (recumbent tandem by Sun) and solo recumbents. Like them all. My question is what are you trying to change by going to a recumbent? All recumbents provide better back support than a DF. There are other trade offs. If all she needs is a more upright position you can get that with different handle bars. The trend in DF tandems is to have a shorter stoker compartment letting the stoker sit more upright. Good luck.
Old 04-15-17, 07:20 AM
tandembethesda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>geofffs & ncbikers

Her back hurts in general, not because of the bike. T900 provides a pretty upright position, but the recumbents actually provide back support when you ride.

>ncbikers - do you "self maintain" your T900? If you do, I was wondering if the crank has a sealed cartridge? Do you have the original seats? After a long trip the seat gives us our biggest problem.
Old 04-16-17, 01:46 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
The Screamer is a very comfortable recumbent tandem. Had one for years, before switching to the Seavo, which is also a great tandem. They are expensive, though. That is about the only downside, from my perspective.
Old 04-22-17, 09:13 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Recumbent tandem/back pain

We just sold our Cannondale Road Tandem 2 for same reason. We got the lower end bent tandem- the Sun EZ AX tandem which we really like. Production of Sun tandems was ended about ten yrs ago but you can still find good used ones for $500 to around $2,000 on line.
Old 04-22-17, 09:16 AM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Re the Sun EZ AX tandem...because of the disk brakes and the way they are mounted on the AX a rear rack is difficult to mount. Any ideas for mounting a rear rack on the AX?
Old 04-22-17, 10:22 AM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
What do the medical people say about her back, is it something that exercise/manipulation can resolve.

From my 35 years of bike riding and racing an upright riding position puts more pressure on the back and the butt. A more bent over position is more comfortable and distributes the weight better. It takes some getting used to and it needs to be done gradually. Maybe a professional bike fit is in order?

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-26-17, 10:09 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
If you should get to the ordering stage, bentrideronline (dot) com's message board may be a good place to look for a used one in North America.

Ridden a recumbent tandem once, it was incredibly more comfortable compared to any uprights. (Quite) a bit heavier and - compared to our Cannondale RT2 - slower.
Old 04-26-17, 11:42 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Terra Trike makes a nice tandem, and a tandem conversion kit for the their budget model Rover. I was shopping trikes for my mother and my local dealership's SEO is on point, I get served their ads all the time now, and so I might have a misplaced idea how popular these really are.

TerraTrike Tandem Recumbent Trike | Sacramento Trike Dealer | Laid Back Cycles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RoverTandem-500236.jpg (71.7 KB, 181 views)
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-27-17, 07:09 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
What do the medical people say about her back, is it something that exercise/manipulation can resolve.

From my 35 years of bike riding and racing an upright riding position puts more pressure on the back and the butt. A more bent over position is more comfortable and distributes the weight better. It takes some getting used to and it needs to be done gradually. Maybe a professional bike fit is in order?

Just my thoughts.

+1.

I think it would be worth a shot, particularly if you can find a very good bike fitter with knowledge of back issues.

Cheaper than a new tandem, and you can still buy the recumbent if it doesn't work.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-30-17, 10:57 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by tandembethesda
>geofffs & ncbikers

Her back hurts in general, not because of the bike. T900 provides a pretty upright position, but the recumbents actually provide back support when you ride.

>ncbikers - do you "self maintain" your T900? If you do, I was wondering if the crank has a sealed cartridge? Do you have the original seats? After a long trip the seat gives us our biggest problem.
Don't know whether the cartridge is sealed or not. Not that it matters. A sealed cartridge is less than $25 at your LBS. You'll need two. I took one look at the OEM seats on the T900 and bought better ones before we even left the store! Do yourselves that kindness at your earliest opportunity. Also I strongly suggest that you suggest to your wife that she work up to a one or two minute Plank daily to strengthen her abdominal (core) muscles. Her back pain will end. I guarantee it. I have professional chiropractors (husband and wife) as friends and they live in a mansion paid for by people who won't plank. Recumbents are fun but only if you spend lots of money. But what is the good of spending lots of money to buy a bike that won't hurt your wife's back. Let's get your wife's back back.
Old 05-05-17, 07:26 AM
ncbikers

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
> Tandembethesda - I don't know if it has cartridges or not. We found the OEM seats fit us better than any other seats we have. Not a problem. The tandem I find most interesting is two trikes that "train" together to ride as a tandem. We haven't ridden one yet. The idea is that each person can peddle at their own cadence as they each have their own shifts and the chains are not connected. Also, you have two separate trikes if you want to use them that way. They are also easier to transport.
Old 05-05-17, 11:02 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
By far the cheapest and most healthy thing in the long run is to join a gym and hire a personal trainer for her. My 85 y.o. aunt is deadlifting 95 lbs. Couldn't walk more than a few feet when she started. My advice is usually to not think so much about bike fit, rather concern yourself with getting fit. 140 y.o. team here. I have pretty much every old man back problem known. My wife and I stay operational through consistent, carefully chosen exercise. Still riding a slammed -17° stem. Denial is not just a river in Africa.
Old 05-05-17, 11:42 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Some of the delta trikes can be coupled together to make a tandem also. I'm assuming that's not cheap.
In the US, Bilenky makes a recumbent/upright tandem, rear person steers and is the upright rider.
I know one couple that rides a recumbent tandem, another local couple that had one for a while, and both of them used (and liked) the Rans Screamers.
Old 05-06-17, 10:16 AM
djedgar

Bikes: Ventana ECDM, Santana Beyond, Cannondale Mtn tandem, Double Vision Recumbent, Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We have a Double Vision recumbent tandem with under seat steering and independent pedaling. It takes some practice to get comfortable with the USS. We found the RANS Screamer a great recumbent too, easier to ride from the get go. The Double Vision was extremely comfortable on the multi-day RAGBRAI ride. It also worked well for a few years of us taking turns with various surgeries. We were able to keep riding, something that would not have been possible with a regular tandem.

But eventually hauling the bike around (fit on the diagonal in our Suburban) and up hills very slowly got tiresome and we have the DV hanging in the garage, where its been stored for years.
Old 05-07-17, 11:53 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not in the market for a recumbent, but if I were, this is probably close to my dream choice...
Attached Images
032.jpg (97.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-08-17, 06:17 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My husband and I have a Barcroft Columbia - it's similar to the RANS Screamer. Our transport method is placing tandem on roof rack - that is a challenge for the weight of this beast. We test-rode the RANS at Mt Airy bikes in Maryland.

It's comfortable. We are slower on this bike than on our Santana. I find that when we go thru bollards on greenways, I (stoker) need to take my hands off the handgrips to make sure that I don't get struck by a bollard. This is perhaps paranoia, but my handgrips are roughly 30 inches apart, and bollards are usually 36 inches apart. Going uphill is challenging for us. We bought from Bikes @ Vienna. Barcroft is no longer in business.

If you have pants inseam of 30 inches or longer you won't have a problem with bike fit. We went with the Barcroft because my husband had better feet on ground contact with that bike than with the RANS. He has relatively short legs for being 5'9".

Last edited by esther-L; 05-08-17 at 06:22 PM. Reason: more content
Old 05-09-17, 05:02 AM
djedgar

Bikes: Ventana ECDM, Santana Beyond, Cannondale Mtn tandem, Double Vision Recumbent, Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding technique we found that worked for us was for the stoker to have control of the drag brake and be the "kick stand" on stops. The Captain kept his feet on the pedals to control the take off. This was especially important at some intersections where visibility was a problem.

Stoker keeps two feet on the ground holding the bike upright and stationary like a tripod, going to one foot down when take off is imminent. When Captain takes off, Stoker releases brake and clips in 2nd foot, easy to do with independent pedaling.

This took some practice to see what worked for us, and we tease it only took us 300 miles to get comfortable riding in traffic. The underseat steering was great on long rides, but there was a learning curve not required with the above seat steering.

Last edited by djedgar; 05-09-17 at 05:03 AM. Reason: missed the T in "seat"
Old 05-09-17, 05:25 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
I'm not in the market for a recumbent, but if I were, this is probably close to my dream choice...
This is our best friends ride. It has been changed to use 700c wheels now since that picture was taken. They have many trips on it now. They can keep up with most teams on the many tours we have done. Last year on a number of the Colorado passes they did just fine. We are going to convert it to DI2 this summer to make the shifting even better. It was a challenging design in that Randy is 6'2" and Kathy is 5'. If they did it again some changes would be made but overall it has been very successful . Calfee has been supportive in the whole process. It is probably the only carbon fiber coupled recumbent tandem in existence. It fits in S&S cases for travel. If someone wants more info PM me as I was a big part in the concept of this bike and its execution.
Old 06-27-20, 11:04 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by eerickson
your website are't alive. please make sure your page correctly.
You are aware that this thread is over three years old, correct? The link I posted has indeed changed, but that's what happens when bike shops update their websites over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.