Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Federal Panel Seeks Mandatory Helmet Laws

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Federal Panel Seeks Mandatory Helmet Laws

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 06:20 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Jesus, the amount of passive-aggressive whinging; and finally, a link to a chiropractor website for whiplash? C'mon.

Mandating helmet use won't make cycling more accessible, more attractive, or safer.

Improving cycling infrastructure does.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 01-29-20, 06:25 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Nonetheless, I agree, for most riding the helmets are a good idea, at least within the parameters they were designed to protect from.
That may be the case, what I mean is that despite their everyday reality people should not give up on the idea of circumstances safe enough to ride without any passive safety measures.
Old 01-29-20, 07:28 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Uh, so the fed is going to mandate helmets eh? In cars, right... after all that is where 40,000+ Americans die each year... seems like the obvious place for helmets. I applaud this forward thinking safety measure... helmets, seatbelts and airbags for all motorvehicle occupants.

This is what we are talking about, right? Can'tbe for cyclist... heck, less tha 2% of America bikes... and only about 700 deaths a year occur from cycling...

But the automobile, man, that IS a dangerous beast.
Old 01-29-20, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Not really. In general the trend of moving decision making to panels, committee's, boards and councils is a democratic issue.
Specifically, the recommendation that is being objected to is for elected state legislatures to enact mandatory helmet laws, so that generality is completely irrelevant here. This board is not acting as a dictator but as an advisor to elected officials. I was responding to a ridiculous comment and you're now defending that comment absurdly.
Old 01-29-20, 09:10 AM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Specifically, the recommendation that is being objected to is for elected state legislatures to enact mandatory helmet laws, so that generality is completely irrelevant here. This board is not acting as a dictator but as an advisor to elected officials. I was responding to a ridiculous comment and you're now defending that comment absurdly.
The comment was a bit hyperbolic, but that doesn't make it nonsensical.

They are unelected. They advise on what's a political decision, but they can't make a whole policy, they don't have a budget to improve safety in other ways and they are not in a position to consider other relevant issues than safety that are related to their advice. They are a single issue board with a very limited scope. Their expertise and possibiliteis dosn't stretch out over the whole issue, but their advice limits the issue to their expertise and possiblities. The board argues that they want zero deaths but they can't deliver zero deaths themselves and following their advice won't either, so it's not a valid argument.

It's just an advice, but it makes it very easy for elected politicians to claim to just follow the advice. They say it's safer and who can be against safety! It makes it harder for elected politicians to have to go against the advice with an integral cycling policy. It's an excuse for elected politicians to make what's really their own decision, and it's a difficulty for those who want to. To consider the full issue in relation to for example infrastructure budget, law enforcement and free choice is what offcials are elected for.
Old 01-29-20, 09:12 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by detroitjim
even as staff members reminded panelists that such laws may reduce overall cycling,
Yeah, that sounds like a bunch of poppycock to me. Will the commuters take to commuting by car because they would otherwise have to wear a helmet. Will the roadies suddenly retire to their Peloton because they would otherwise have to wear a helmet. Will the homeless or those who cannot legally hold a driver's license suddenly give up cycling and walk?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-29-20, 09:29 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
join the car helmet revolution. You are right about head injuries, the ones suffered in cars far outstrip those suffered by cyclists. Spleen injuries is a different matter.

Note that helmet laws should also be considered for people that use showers. Also much more common to get a head injury in a shower than on a bicycle
Since this thread is getting a little hot, and could use some levity....

True story: My buddy and I, way back in the late 80s, were coming home from another friend's house. He was driving, I was in the passenger seat. I don't know what prompted it, but I had my motorcycle helmets with me, or he asked me to bring them, I forget.

Anyway, sitting at a light in pretty heavy traffic near the end of rush hour. We managed to be stopped at the front at a light, 4 lanes N-S, 6 lanes E-W. We both grab a motorcycle helmet and put it on while we're sitting through the red. We look around, and everyone stopped has noticed this (this was in the days before cell phones!).

Light changes, we take off.

.....every other car at the intersection sits there and waits until we are well clear before they move. We were probably 100+ yards through the other side before anyone started rolling through.

Good times.
Old 01-29-20, 09:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I never ride without my helmet, but I hate laws telling people what to do. Just more b'cratic nonsense of gov trying to run peoples lives.
Old 01-29-20, 10:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

The comment was a bit hyperbolic, but that doesn't make it nonsensical.

They are unelected. They advise on what's a political decision, but they can't make a whole policy, they don't have a budget to improve safety in other ways and they are not in a position to consider other relevant issues than safety that are related to their advice. They are a single issue board with a very limited scope. Their expertise and possibiliteis dosn't stretch out over the whole issue, but their advice limits the issue to their expertise and possiblities. The board argues that they want zero deaths but they can't deliver zero deaths themselves and following their advice won't either, so it's not a valid argument.

It's just an advice, but it makes it very easy for elected politicians to claim to just follow the advice. They say it's safer and who can be against safety! It makes it harder for elected politicians to have to go against the advice with an integral cycling policy. It's an excuse for elected politicians to make what's really their own decision, and it's a difficulty for those who want to. To consider the full issue in relation to for example infrastructure budget, law enforcement and free choice is what offcials are elected for.

Move the goalposts much?

Whatever the flaws in the recommendations and the scope of their expertise, the one thing you really can't plausibly accuse them of is acting as a dictator. Your post is so convoluted trying to make that dictator thing work that it made my head spin.

You want to play along with silly bumper sticker accusations, go ahead.
Old 01-29-20, 11:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
I never ride without my helmet, but I hate laws telling people what to do. Just more b'cratic nonsense of gov trying to run peoples lives.
So do you advocate repealing laws that require people to have brakes on their bikes?

I'm not for mandatory helmet laws, but some regulation of riders is necessary.

All laws tell people what to do (or not do). Do you hate all laws?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-29-20, 11:49 AM
Stadjer

Move the goalposts much?

Whatever the flaws in the recommendations and the scope of their expertise, the one thing you really can't plausibly accuse them of is acting as a dictator. Your post is so convoluted trying to make that dictator thing work that it made my head spin.
They want to force helmets on people's heads, you could argue that it's beyond the scope of policy in a free country, and characterize that as 'trying to be dictators' to get your point across. I focussed more on the 'unelected' bit because there is an issue with all kinds of boards and committees preluding on political decisions.
Old 01-29-20, 01:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

They want to force helmets on people's heads, you could argue that it's beyond the scope of policy in a free country, and characterize that as 'trying to be dictators' to get your point across. I focussed more on the 'unelected' bit because there is an issue with all kinds of boards and committees preluding on political decisions.
And a cat can cough up a hairball to get the hairball across.

Hyperbolic language about dictators is a pretty silly rhetorical device. You can argue that any regulation of any kind is beyond the scope of policy in a free country but in this case, it's going to sound pretty hollow.

Honestly, the best argument against it is that we already have a fairly high acceptance rate compared to other countries, so the number of people who would start wearing helmets because it was made mandatory is probably very low, and some percentage of that increase will be people for whom wearing a helmet is likely of little benefit.

From a moral standpoint, unlike the lack of brakes, if I choose not to wear a helmet, I'm putting no one but myself at risk.
Old 01-29-20, 06:50 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Honestly, the best argument against it is that we already have a fairly high acceptance rate compared to other countries, so the number of people who would start wearing helmets because it was made mandatory is probably very low, and some percentage of that increase will be people for whom wearing a helmet is likely of little benefit.
And would there be a small number of helmet wearers who would choose to doff their lids in protest if this becomes mandatory? Darn likely, I'd say.
Old 01-29-20, 08:59 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
And would there be a small number of helmet wearers who would choose to doff their lids in protest if this becomes mandatory? Darn likely, I'd say.
Yee-haw! Damn, I haven’t worn a seatbelt to spite my legislator for years! How ‘bout you?

The kooks shall inherit.... ....the everlasting gobstopper thread.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-29-20 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-30-20, 06:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Yee-haw! Damn, I haven’t worn a seatbelt to spite my legislator for years! How ‘bout you?

-mr. bill
I do remember people going to elaborate lengths to disable the buzzer that would go off if the driver didn't wear seatbelts. Contrarianism is a real thing, but I don't think enough of a factor to drive policy.

This thread died months ago, now we're reacting to a coughed up hairball.
Old 01-30-20, 06:51 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I’m sure there are three or four kooks in the Live Free or Die state who currently wear seatbelts, but will immediately stop wearing their seatbelts if HB1622 becomes law, just to spite Skip.

-mr. bill
Old 01-30-20, 07:23 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts

-mr. bill
Apples and oranges, mate. The probable severity of a motor vehicle injury and the proven protection provided by seatbelts makes it a no-brainer to wear them. Although severe head injuries do happen to cyclists, they are uncommon. Lid-less cycling is not courting death as is riding belt-less.

I'm not advocating that folks abandon their helmets. I wear mine all the time. What I was musing about was reactionary behaviour changes to the contrary in response to new laws not based on comprehensive science.
Old 01-30-20, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I’m sure there are three or four kooks in the Live Free or Die state who currently wear seatbelts, but will immediately stop wearing their seatbelts if HB1622 becomes law, just to spite Skip.

-mr. bill

I think they already have an organization:
https://www.fsp.org/
Old 01-30-20, 10:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Apples and oranges, mate. The probable severity of a motor vehicle injury and the proven protection provided by seatbelts makes it a no-brainer to wear them. Although severe head injuries do happen to cyclists, they are uncommon. Lid-less cycling is not courting death as is riding belt-less.

I'm not advocating that folks abandon their helmets. I wear mine all the time. What I was musing about was reactionary behaviour changes to the contrary in response to new laws not based on comprehensive science.
I think the question is really are there or are there not a very few people who are wearing helmets now who will stop if helmet wearing is made mandatory. I suspect a few such people might exist, but far too few to think about them from a policy perspective, while Mr_Bill is skeptical they exist at all.

I would put the importance of this argument somewhere between "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" and "who's faster underwater, Flash or Aquaman".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-02-20, 08:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
So do you advocate repealing laws that require people to have brakes on their bikes?

I'm not for mandatory helmet laws, but some regulation of riders is necessary.

All laws tell people what to do (or not do). Do you hate all laws?
The fewer regulations the better. Every regulation means less freedom for some one.​​​​​​
Old 02-02-20, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The fewer regulations the better. Every regulation means less freedom for some one.​​​​​​
And the lack of necessary regulations has led to the death of innocent people. I'd say the dead people had their freedom reduced big time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-03-20, 03:34 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
This has to be one of the most shortsighted, simplistic, and just plain wrong (ethically, and factually) posts I've seen on BF recently.

And in so few words.

Congratulations, I guess.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 02-03-20, 03:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
This has to be one of the most shortsighted, simplistic, and just plain wrong (ethically, and factually) posts I've seen on BF recently.

And in so few words.

Congratulations, I guess.

I demand my right to sell tainted meat!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-20, 08:42 AM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I hate cycling clubs for the record and will never join! [ poster puts 3' long bicycle p*nis poster of stats out for display
Actually you should try looks like you would fit right in.

I ride 2-3K per year and almost never wear a helmet. So we must have missed eachother, and I live in the "weak cycling culture of Eugene Oregon https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/05/...the-northwest/, so I guess your argument is invalid.
Old 02-06-20, 09:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
Actually you should try looks like you would fit right in.

I ride 2-3K per year and almost never wear a helmet. So we must have missed eachother, and I live in the "weak cycling culture of Eugene Oregon https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/05/...the-northwest/, so I guess your argument is invalid.
Since you have resurrected the Dude's previous strange comments on this thread, I thought it time to correct another of the Dude's misstatements directed at me that has been repeated by another poster on this thread. The Dude and livedarklions raised a fabricated strawman that I claimed on another thread to never see a Specialized brand bicycles "in the Land of RAGBRAI" and dissed my powers of observation (and implied I am a liar). I made no such claim in any post on this threads or on any otherthread.

For clarification, on another thread I asked about where was the location of a poster who claimed that a specific high priced model of Specialized - The S-Works was "everywhere" and the Dude has proceeded to go into a misquoting tizzy about a claim from me about never seeing Specialized brand bicycles and therefore don't know what I am posting about, with livedarklions piling on as is his wont. See Original post

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-06-20 at 09:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.