Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

New Rider without a bike

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

New Rider without a bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 01:35 PM
jpatrick88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Rider without a bike

Hello All,
I'm new to Triathlons and have only done a sprint. I did that race on a mountain bike with about five days of training. The bike portion was miserable. I have gotten more serious now about the training and I'm really enjoying it. I have been looking to get a decent bike but I'm nervous about dropping a bunch of money. I also plan on buying an indoor trainer to go with whatever bike I get with the intention of using Zwift or Rouvy. I have somewhat narrowed my bikes down to two. A Motobecane Mirage SL from BikesDirect for about $500, or a Specialized Allez from a LBS for about $800 maybe less due to a sale they had. I'm about 5'10'' and 213lbs. Any advice on either bike or in general would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-08-20, 09:49 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by jpatrick88
Hello All,
Thank you in advance.

I'm not all that familiar with either bike. And I know your intent asking here was to get info on either/both. But what I'd suggest you do in lieu of that is read the online reviews of both bikes. I think there are probably lots of reviewers out there for both (and all) bikes. Look specifically for info about how they would function when set up for, and used as a du/tri bike. Also ask the guys at the LBS. However I'd be cautious about what they say. They might be trying to offload a bike on you that they just want to get off their showroom floor, yet isn't really the right bike for you. Also consider which bike might be easier to set up for triathlon...i.e. how accommodating is the bike to tri-specific attachments like aero bars, maybe disc wheel, etc. The more expensive bike might not necessarily be the best tri bike. Good luck.

Dan
Old 01-09-20, 08:51 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
You should buy the bike where you are most comfortable on.

Later on, you want to do more training. Most of us do the longer training distances on normal bikes. A TT (time trial) bike is a possibility but they cost quite a bit.

A "normal" racing bike is far cheaper and easier for maintenance (I think). that way you can learn some bike mechanic skills, those will save you some money in the future. The sport/dicipline is expensive enough already

A normal racing bike with a time trial steer/handlebar setup will get you a long way.

Just my 0.02 €
Old 01-20-20, 12:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Where do you live? Near anywhere that holds a yearly 1/2 or full IM?

If so, wait till right after that even and people dump equipment. It's a bucket list thing for some, not a lifetime hobby. You can score bikes or wheels after them pretty good.

If you don't want to spend too much at first, get an acceptable road bike and some clip-on bars. Then buy a tri bike someday if you're really into it.
Old 02-26-20, 12:01 PM
hammib

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello! My brother and I got a couple of new bikes. I can say with confidence that my choice was greatly influenced by the excellent professional review of bicycles from Ryan Jones https://trigearlab.com/. My favorite bike is the BMC Time Machine 02 with an 11-speed Shimano 105 gearbox. I can also boast that my favorite Swiss equipped with truncated profiles, a super-inclined frontal plane. Excellent road holding with a strong crosswind. More than once I rode it over long distances.