Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Was that it ?!?

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Was that it ?!?

Old 03-15-20, 04:49 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Was that it ?!?

I guess you can say winter was a bust in our region of Massachusetts this year. Most of the winter the trails I play on have been ice trails and not a nice fluffy snow. I was able to get out the last couple days and play on the wet soggy trails. I'll stay off the main single track trails while they dry out, and stick to the fire and old farm roads that are out there. I will say that I haven't seen this many hikers out on the trails the last couple weeks. It's great to see people taking advantage of this great area and I hope to see it busy throughout the summer.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 03-15-20, 11:19 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
We had a very wimpy maybe inch of snow last night , but not on the valley floor--only really from maybe 500 feet and up. Complete joke of a winter.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-16-20, 06:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Yep welcome to the world of climate change. Looks like I'll be raking leaves that I failed to get to in the fall rather than shoveling snow this week.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-16-20, 06:50 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
We still have winter in Canada. I don't expect to put the snow shovel away for at least another month.
Likes For mercator:
Old 03-16-20, 01:17 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
We have blossoming American Elm trees here in Metro North Boston - expected snow showers tomorrow morning but will warm up to the 50s tomorrow afternoon
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 03-16-20, 04:44 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
We have blossoming American Elm trees here in Metro North Boston - expected snow showers tomorrow morning but will warm up to the 50s tomorrow afternoon
Any snow we get now won't last long, and the shovel is always nearby just in case.
Old 03-18-20, 01:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
the shovel is always nearby just in case.
put mine away a cpl days, took the rakes & spade out. just like prepping for winter, a little at a time. after power washing the patio, will take the cover off the a/c & bring the glass table top up from the basement
Old 03-20-20, 03:51 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
As we celebrate the first few hours of astronomical spring, we look back and appreciate that low snow total and mild temperatures. We never want to "jinx" it, but that really WAS it!

And now that spring has arrived, we here in Boston get to look forward to ... a few inches of snow in the forecast!
Old 03-20-20, 07:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
We still have winter in Canada. I don't expect to put the snow shovel away for at least another month.
Two months here. We got 4” in Denver last night and enough to close I-70 and I-76 across the plains. People make the mistake of thinking that blizzards in the mountains are the storms you fear. The Colorado plains the place where people should be afraid. The Towner Disaster demonstrated this all too well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-23-20, 08:49 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I'm getting close to the switching from boots to shoes point, at least for 1 bike. I need to change the saddle height when switching between boots and shoes, so I like to only do it once per season. My feet get cold easily, but they also sweat like crazy if I'm wearing them when the temperature rises. The weather is up and down this week, but looks solidly warm next week.

Next week I'll setup either the touring bike or road bike for shoes. I'm down a saddle so my road bike / fat bike are sharing a saddle at the moment, so I also have to decide if I want to put the fat bike away for the season. The roads in the city are going to be sandy for a few months, so the touring bike makes for better in city riding. Decisions decisions.
Old 03-24-20, 06:36 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
I never got my studded tires on my mountain bike. I used my winter commuter (folder with studded tires) much less than usual. I used my "regular" folder when the weather permitted, and it permitted often enough that I haven't done my normal winter maintenance on the regular bike. I got a new cordless electric snow-thrower and only used it 2 or 3 times, and mostly for wimpy snowfalls. Maybe better winter activities next season.