Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Abuse from a driver

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Abuse from a driver

Old 04-03-20, 12:44 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 320 Posts
Abuse from a driver

I started writing a carefully reasoned post. I laid out the road configuration etc. But screw it, I’m angry! That SUV driver simply came too close to me around that curve and then started cursing at me. And then pulled up and stopped in front of me. His string of curses ended with the classic “you f&&@ng bike rider”. Well, yes I admit to being a bike rider and I hope to continue that. Thanks for listening.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 04-03-20, 05:58 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
These types relish the thought that they might pass their rage demons on to others. It's their purpose in life and they are very adept at doing it. Don't let him do it to you.
Old 04-03-20, 06:57 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I can get pretty fired up by a rude and dangerous driver. I would not have responded well to that.
Old 04-05-20, 09:29 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
These types of drivers are the reason why so many people are discouraged from riding on the road. There's a few threads about that.

Separated bike lanes eliminate the bad driver interaction with cyclists and that's why they increase ridership regardless of what some people think about them.
Old 04-05-20, 04:46 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
That's when it's a good time to pull out a cell phone and start video recording the confrontation.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 04-14-20, 10:13 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Start preaching the gospel. That causes most people to want to run away.
Old 06-05-20, 01:56 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
These types of drivers are the reason why so many people are discouraged from riding on the road. There's a few threads about that.

Separated bike lanes eliminate the bad driver interaction with cyclists and that's why they increase ridership regardless of what some people think about them.
I'm ambivalent about separated bike lanes - they're appropriate for some streets, but not all. Many implementations increase the danger at every intersection, which are the most dangerous spots, while making the safest areas safer. There are good implementations, but the ones that make new cyclists feel the safest, with vehicle parking between them and traffic, I think add the most danger to the intersection. While getting people riding is good, having them die in traffic accidents while in those safe-feeling bike lanes doesn't help, and long term will drive those numbers back down.
Likes For Viich:
Old 06-05-20, 02:32 PM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry this happened to you Glad it did not escalate to anything more than some angry words.

I have learned over the years that no matter how right I am, it is never good to get in a verbal altercation with some enraged driver. This has kept me largely safe from the nutjobs.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-12-20 at 08:41 AM. Reason: no gun talk
Old 06-05-20, 02:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
As the great W.C. Fields said, 'If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bs.' I.e., instead of raging back, smile and blow 'em a kiss. Stand back and watch their faces.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-05-20, 03:02 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
That's when it's a good time to pull out a cell phone and start video recording the confrontation.

Cheers
I simply point to the two video cameras and say "It is ALL on video". They normally shut up and quickly drive away.
Old 06-05-20, 03:13 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by CB HI
I simply point to the two video cameras and say "It is ALL on video". They normally shut up and quickly drive away.
Or come after you to try and grab the evidence. You know, like the guy who grabbed the flyers and the girl's arm and then using his bicycle as a weapon attacked and knocked down the fellow recording the assault on the little girl.

Cheers
Old 06-05-20, 06:43 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I can get pretty fired up by a rude and dangerous driver. I would not have responded well to that.
Hard but I ignore it totally. Not worth the stress and mind cycles wasting time replaying in your head what happened all for a total stranger. I go about my day like it never happened. Well try to.
Old 06-05-20, 07:40 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Getting yelled at ruins a ride, no matter how much I want to be thick skinned about it. I'll keep replaying what happened, how I should have reacted, .... no, that wouldn't be right... maybe.... and so on. And then my mind will turn to how to get the law enforcement to support us better, or how to get people better educated about cyclists and cycling advocacy. Eventually I arrive home and stew about it for a couple more days, looking up on the internet what the laws are in my area, looking up how to defend myself against that sort of road rage, checking the intersection again and again.

And then it passes. Probably 200 miles later I'm totally over it until the next time.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 06-06-20, 10:59 AM
CycleNutz

Bikes: Road

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I agree, I refuse to waste my mental energy on thinking about it once it is over. Like all things it requires time and practice and Then it becomes second nature.
Old 06-06-20, 02:24 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Take the lane.
Old 06-06-20, 02:48 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleNutz
Sorry this happened to you Glad it did not escalate to anything more than some angry words.

I have learned over the years that no matter how right I am, it is never good to get in a verbal altercation with some enraged driver. This has kept me largely safe from the nutjobs.
The OP lives in CA. It does take nearly an act of God for that to happen. Look at what's going on out there and how little to none the police are doing to stop rioters and looters.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-12-20 at 08:41 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 06-06-20, 04:56 PM
Chistophe516

Or come after you to try and grab the evidence. You know, like the guy who grabbed the flyers and the girl's arm and then using his bicycle as a weapon attacked and knocked down the fellow recording the assault on the little girl.

Cheers
The cyclist caught on video. Is not commonplace. But why he got so bent out of shape over the flyers. Is beyond me.
Old 06-06-20, 05:03 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Chistophe516
The cyclist caught on video. Is not commonplace. But why he got so bent out of shape over the flyers. Is beyond me.
A walking time-bomb just looking for a place to explode?

Cheers
Old 06-06-20, 06:17 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Cheers
Through my life, it has never ended well for anyone who came after me.
Old 06-06-20, 08:01 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by CB HI
Through my life, it has never ended well for anyone who came after me.
My fear with regards to someone attacking me is that I could knock them down and they could hit their head or for some other medical reason die. I was trained in hand-to-hand combat in the army and trained to kill with one blow if needed. ANd I had an oriental friend who taught me the real kung-fu not the glamorized crap Hollywood portrays.

Do you remember the original Kung-fu tv series with David Carradine? I loved the adage, "Avoid rather than check. Check rather than hurt. Hurt rather than maim. Maim rather than kill for all life is precious and none can be replaced. The Sensei who taught me kung-fu said, "I'll teach you but you must promise. If someone wants to fight you, you turn and you run like hell! But if you can't run put the assailant down as fast as possible becaus by attacking they mean you harm".

Due to my training I try to avoid conflict that might require a violent response from me.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-07-20, 07:32 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

^^^^
I have never thrown the first blow, but the bully/road rager has always ended up worse off. Outside actual military combat, of course one uses escalation of force only to the level needed for your safety and the ones you are protecting.
Old 06-11-20, 10:24 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Cheers
I point at the camera on my handlebars and ask "Look here and please say that again." Sometimes it's just a headlight but they don't know for sure.
Old 06-11-20, 11:41 AM
Chistophe516

A walking time-bomb just looking for a place to explode?

Cheers
Pretty much
Old 06-11-20, 10:28 PM
fastbikes

Bikes: Mountain Bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Don't let people bully you, however, sometimes it's just not worth provoking a driving for your safety. You never know if the driver is unbalanced in the head and decide to swipe you while you ride.
Likes For fastbikes:
Old 06-12-20, 12:37 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs2xLove
The OP lives in CA. It does take nearly an act of God for that to happen. Look at what's going on out there and how little to none the police are doing to stop rioters and looters.
Don't talk about what you don't know about.
Likes For theDirtyLemon:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.