Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Changing Head Angle

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Changing Head Angle

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 04:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Changing Head Angle

Just rode a new frame and have found that I pushed the envelope too far with the head tube angle. Thinking about how to change the head angle I came up with removing the down tube, bending the head tube/top tube to get to the desired head angle (needs to move about 3 degrees) to steepen the angle. Any thoughts or is it replacement of the top tube/head tube/down tube and rebuild the front triangle?
Old 05-03-20, 06:28 PM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Just rode a new frame and have found that I pushed the envelope too far with the head tube angle. Thinking about how to change the head angle I came up with removing the down tube, bending the head tube/top tube to get to the desired head angle (needs to move about 3 degrees) to steepen the angle. Any thoughts or is it replacement of the top tube/head tube/down tube and rebuild the front triangle?

How is it joined?
Old 05-03-20, 08:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
3 degrees of bending? That's a lot IMO. Better to remove the HT and see if the existing TT and DT can be remitered for the new head angle. Andy
Old 05-04-20, 04:09 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I agree with Andy Stewart better to remove the HT altogether. But why not instead make a new fork for it? Give the fork enough offset to get your trail back where you want it. Then the existing fork can be re-used on another project.
Old 05-04-20, 04:37 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
What kind of frame and what is the current head angle? I doubt you could have gotten it that wrong.
Old 05-04-20, 04:52 AM
TiHabanero

Here is what happened. I designed the frame around a 60mm fork rake, then changed my mind on the fork as I wanted the bike to look more modern, but the frame was already built by that time. Decided to install a 45mm rake fork and try it anyway. It is ridable, but rides like a chopper, lots of rise and fall with the front end, and it is a handful in high winds. The frame is lugged and figured redoing the whole front end of the bike would be best, but figured if there was a short cut, someone here will know.
Old 05-04-20, 06:58 AM
dsaul

Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
What is the purpose of the bike? Road, gravel, touring? My bikes vary in trail from about 60mm on the road bike to 75mm on the gravel bike and 90mm on the MTB. The longer trail bikes are not so easy to ride with no hands, but winds don't seem to be a problem. The only time I have problems with cross winds is with a deep section front wheel.

It just seems like a radical approach to re-build the front triangle, when riding the bike a few more times might allow you to become accustomed to the way it rides.
Old 05-04-20, 07:15 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It just seems like a radical approach to re-build the front triangle, when riding the bike a few more times might allow you to become accustomed to the way it rides.
That's a sensible suggestion. I bent the (steel) fork on a 1986 Cannondale in 1990, left it unused for 20 years with a vague plan of replacing the fork, and then started commuting on it. Took a few rides to get used to the handling, but I've since ridden it for a good proportion of my annual mileage.
Old 05-04-20, 07:58 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Would a straight blade fork with 60mm rake look modern?
Old 05-04-20, 08:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
have you put your proposed numbers into a trail/flop calculator? 45mm rake fork is going to need a steep hta to get it to reasonable flop. What is the current HTA and proposed HTA?

Seems like it's time for a new frame, chalk this one up to experience. But if you really want to do this, replace the TT/HT/DT.
Old 05-06-20, 05:12 PM
TiHabanero

I find my trail preference is between 71-73 mm. I have considered a straight blade fork with 60mm taken but need to draw it to get an idea of how it will look. As it is, I will give the thing another ride and see how it goes.
Old 05-06-20, 05:24 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
A 7 degree fork crown with a 390-400 ac would get you really close to 60 mm.
Old 05-06-20, 09:14 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Better to remove the HT and see if the existing TT and DT can be remitered for the new head angle. Andy
I agree with Andy too. Shouldn't be too hard. Don't think I'd work too hard saving the lugs though, although that's possible.
Old 05-06-20, 09:53 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Rodriguez had someone contract build them bunches of 55mm rake forks (1&⅛) for their disc braked bikes. You might give them a call. Maybe they have one on the shelf.

Rodbikes.com

55mm is not 60mm, but it'd get you closer than you are. They are aluminum, smooth, disc. Nothing retro or lugged about 'em.

They also do custom to whatever your specs are.

Mine is 55mm rake for a 26 inch (559) wheel for a 69 degree head tube angle. ~55 to 62mm of trail depending on tire.

Last edited by base2; 05-06-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 10:10 PM
TiHabanero

I believe I will try to save the head tube as it is special to me. Last of the 531 tubes my brother gave me, and replace the lugs and TT/DT. Winter project.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 05-21-20, 06:58 PM
TiHabanero

dsaul, I have been riding the bike with the inappropriate fork and am becoming accustomed to the low speed weirdness. I will say once I am up around 17+ mph, the thing settles down and is very comfortable to ride. Does not like to deviate from a straight line so a little extra effort on the bars is required for cornering. Oddly, this does not bother me at all. Only the low speed instability is bothersome, but I bet that can be overcome in time.

The OS down tube seems to make a difference in the responsiveness to heavy input such as climbing and sprinting. At 40mph on a downhill the bike was very stable, but as mentioned before, it did not like to deviate from a straight line without some heavy handedness. Again, I can deal with that. Thinking that using the wrong fork is livable. Thanks, dsaul!
Likes For TiHabanero: