Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Help with new bike for heavy rider

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-07-20, 03:58 AM
newtothis86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Specialized StumpJumper ST Comp Carbon 29. I didn’t do much research and found out once I received the bike that I’m too heavy. I couldn’t find a weight limit anywhere before I purchased it. The limit in the owners manual is 250-275lbs. I saw that the owners manual was available on the product page, but I was too excited to start riding. I’m 5’11 312lbs~.

I purchased the bike to get in shape but now I may have to wait.

I read in other posts that it may be possible to ride my bike at my current weight. I won’t be doing any jumps or tricks. I want to ride some flat trails/downhill. Maybe some uphill asphalt to get started.

Would it be safe to ride my bike without damaging it?

thank you all in advance, and thank you for the support you show other riders.

chris
Old 05-07-20, 05:25 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
You are not a huge amount over, so if you ride it, it will probably not break. Something may break after a long time.

Your warranty is probably void because you are over the weight limit.

Start out slowly and gently, just in case.

There is no point in having a bike if you don't use it. Hopefully you can lose weight with the exercise, and a good diet.
Likes For alo:
Old 05-07-20, 05:55 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
The bike's weight limit is probably due to the suspension. In all likelihood the suspension won't perform ideally due to your weight but it sounds like that's not a major issue at this time. You can visit a local bike shop and have them adjust the suspension to be close to your weight unless you want to try it yourself; it's an easy adjustment.
Old 05-08-20, 03:00 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Ride, ride and ride some more. Have fun!
Old 05-09-20, 04:20 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
The Specialized rep I talked to a few months ago said there really are no weight limits on their frames. Components may have a limit. Suspension most likely because they are valved for certain weight ranges. Honestly as long as you aren't doing anything crazy with the bike like jumping off things and going off 2' drops you will probably be fine. And in no time you will be under the weight limit.
Old 05-10-20, 05:02 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I was told the same thing that chadtrent is saying. When I got my first road bike I was over 300lbs, it wasn't the frame that was the issue, it was the other stuff. Specifically the wheels. FWIW I still ride this bike every day a MUCH less weight later. I have put different wheels on the bike and have not had an issue yet.

Ride it!!! You probably will have a hiccup and then address it when you find the trouble spots...…
Old 05-19-20, 09:27 AM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The wheelset is probably going to be the biggest issue. If you are over the weight limit, they will go out of true more often, and could fail - thats why there is a limit.

You could get a beefier set of wheels for $400-500 and if if spend more, could be light weight enough to transfer to whatever bike you might want to upgrade to later. Suspension systems could wear out faster at the weight limit or be more prone to failure.

It's not like a kayak where if you go over the weight limit you will get instant feedback in the way of a wet bottom and gear!
Old 06-17-20, 09:13 PM
TMac1701

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newtothis86
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Specialized StumpJumper ST Comp Carbon 29. I didn’t do much research and found out once I received the bike that I’m too heavy. I couldn’t find a weight limit anywhere before I purchased it. The limit in the owners manual is 250-275lbs. I saw that the owners manual was available on the product page, but I was too excited to start riding. I’m 5’11 312lbs~.

I purchased the bike to get in shape but now I may have to wait.

I read in other posts that it may be possible to ride my bike at my current weight. I won’t be doing any jumps or tricks. I want to ride some flat trails/downhill. Maybe some uphill asphalt to get started.

Would it be safe to ride my bike without damaging it?

thank you all in advance, and thank you for the support you show other riders.

chris
I'm about 290 and often ride with 20 pounds on my back, so, 310. I've been riding for 5 years on a Trek aluminum road bike rated for 275, and have never had a problem. If you're not pushing the bike to its limits, you should be just fine.
Old 06-24-20, 04:58 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Don't even think about riding it. As a matter of fact, you should send it to me so I can ride it. PM me for the address .

Seriously though, just ride it and enjoy it. Have the wheels checked every once or twice in the first couple of months. Just think, the bike is made for 275# guy to go off a jump and not break. It will be fine if you are just riding around.

Good luck with it!