Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do you stop at stop signs?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Do you stop at stop signs?

Old 06-27-20, 07:18 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts

Montreal cyclist hit with $651 ticket for warning bikers to stop at lights

Old 06-27-20, 07:24 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
...in the spirit of this thread, my only Belgian joke.

So these two Belgians are driving a truck, and they come to an overpass with a sign that says, " Low Clearance 12 ' 6" ".
The driver stops, looks at the passenger, and says, " What should I do ? This truck needs 13 feet of clearance."

The passenger gets out, walks over tot he overpass, carefully inspects it, walks under, looks around, then comes back and carefully looks at the truck from the front.
He gets back in, sits down on the seat, looks over at the driver and says, "It's OK, go ahead. There's no cops."
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-28-20, 09:16 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I generally don't see many cyclists stopping for stop signs around here, thinking that they have the right-of-way just because they're on a bike. We have a lot of dead cyclists here and I can see why....

I do the Idaho stop, which means I roll thru slowly if no one is there or I come to a complete stop if other vehicles are at the intersection, then I treat the stop just like if I'm driving my pick-up.

I hate stop signs, so I generally ride on the main roadways.
Old 06-28-20, 05:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Paint Job Steve
I generally don't because I'm hauling too much ass to stop. I get honked at and told "nice stop ahole" quite a bit.
Thankfully I live in a city where nobody (cars or bikes) stops for stop signs. So I only stop to grant right of way to those who deserve it and roll the rest of the time. No one says diddly. In fact, cyclists are EXPECTED to run stop signs so the car behind us does not have to stop either. Often when I hit a 4-way stop the motorist will just wave me through even if they have the right of way. So...no, I don't stop unless I have to and nobody cares.
Old 07-01-20, 02:44 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
Yes I do stop at all intersections with stop signs & red lights.

I was hit and knocked off my bike about a month ago by a truck.

It was at a 4-way stop, I got there first, stopped and started across the intersection and was about 1/2 way across when a lifted Ford F-150 4x4 did a "rolling stop" and started towards me.

I guess his high hood blocked his vision, but I heard the engine powering up and I tried to accelerate out of the way, but I wasn't in a great gear for quick escapes.
I nearly got clear, but he clipped the outside rim of my back wheel and that knocked me off the bike.

Good thing I had helmet, gloves, long sleeves & jeans on, as it was I got some pretty nasty road rash, but bare skin would've been way worse.
He was sorry as hell, offered $ for the damage to the bike, multiple "didn't see you, as you OK?"

I had a weird reaction, just wanted to GTFO of there, pick up my stuff and dust myself off and get out of Dodge.
So I just got back on the bike and wobbled off.

Anyhow, an hour later at home, it dawned on me how close it was to being a very bad day.
Fraction of a second in timing the wrong way, and he hits my body with his bumper and I'm going under the wheel.

It also occurred to me that I should've taken his offered information down or the money for damages as the rear wheel was toast and my helmet got shattered, even though I don't remember my head hitting the pavement.
Old 07-02-20, 11:22 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Isn't one of the most common complaints motorists have about cyclists failure to stop at stop signs?
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
Old 07-02-20, 11:41 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
If a man says something and his wife doesn’t hear it, is he still wrong?
Old 07-02-20, 01:03 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
If you run the stop sign and there's no one there to see it. Did it happen?
Old 07-02-20, 04:56 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Correct the 99% of vehicles (cagers) running stop signs (higher impact/damage potentials) then bother cyclists.... Lazy and prejudiced enforcement.
Old 07-04-20, 03:19 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
When I am riding in Idaho, I follow Idaho law to the letter. Riding elsewhere, I will say that if another car or bike has the right of way I will always yield to them. Other than that, I take the 5th.
Old 07-09-20, 03:52 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I generally stop for red lights and more often than not stop for stop signs. As appropriate.
Old 07-09-20, 04:18 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Yes. Always. Because I'm too damn lazy to learn one set of procedures for driving and one for cycling. I stop at the intersection, scan for bandits, tell myself "route = valid" and go.
Old 07-13-20, 10:49 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
Yes. Always. Because I'm too damn lazy to learn one set of procedures for driving and one for cycling. I stop at the intersection, scan for bandits, tell myself "route = valid" and go.
I've even been known to stop when I had the right of way because it was pretty obvious that the car coming across would not stop (or even slow down). I've witnessed about a dozen blatant stop sign blowing that I can think of in the last ~2 years, a few running red lights (long after the light has changed) and caught a few of them on camera.
Old 07-16-20, 08:15 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Yes, unless there is a cop, I like paying hidden taxes
Old 07-29-20, 08:18 AM
holly77

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
I slow some, look for traffic and go, if clear.
absolutely agree
Old 07-30-20, 09:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I almost always do. Since I ride a trike, am retired, and am in no hurry why not. Besides stopping on a trike is no big deal. No unclipping and clipping in after a stop and no wobbling around on start up that alarms car drivers.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-01-20, 11:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
That would seem abusive, and just another chance for greedy B'crats to pull in money for them to spend.
Old 08-01-20, 11:37 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
One day, I was riding my bike across the prairie to check out a distant town as a possible retirement home. Came to a four-way stop and two opposing cars came to the intersection at the same time. Like a good, responsible cyclist should, and not being in any hurry, I unclipped and waited for the traffic to proceed. The cars just sat there until I finally motioned for them to proceed. To my amazement, one of the cars motioned for me to go instead. "Hmmm. That's nice." And off I went with a thankful wave.

It was only later, after I retired and moved to that distant town that I learned about the "Idaho stop". It's nice. However, I still have difficulty riding through a red light. Now, I wish Idaho would adopt the 'motorcycle riding between lanes of traffic' like California allows.
Old 08-01-20, 12:06 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I'm still waiting for the killing cages with motors to comply....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 08-02-20, 09:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Yes. No. No one really cares, and people expect us to roll through, so I got over wanting to be perfect with the traffic code at stop signs a long time ago.

I'm not going to blast through in front of a car on the side streets though.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 08-02-20, 10:11 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
I keep on peddeling through intersections with stop signs if no cars are coming. At my age, it's not that easy to get going again!
Old 08-10-20, 01:25 AM
OldBrokeReCycle

Bikes: 1980 Trek 510 owned since '81 BLINGED; 20?? Speicialized Secteur; 201? Trek Excalibre Bafung coverted; 20?? Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here in my particular part of the semi-rural PNW, the question of stop signs seems to involve whether or not I join the "main" traffic flow. If I'm going straight ahead or turning left I have no choice: I take the middle of the road; I'm just another vehicle, and whether or not I can do a psuedo-track stand while I wait for cars to decide what they want to do is entirely up them. I wave them through if they seem conflicted, wave my thanks if they seem to give me the right of way, stop if I can't tell.
Unfortunately, most 4-way left turn stops seem to occur at the bottom of hills that require climbing up the subsequent hill. I would prefer not to use my brakes. Fortunately, many of these stops have very clear sight lines.
Unfortunately, more than once, I have believed that I entered the intersection well before a vehicle, made eye contact with the driver, powered through the intersection and barely not got creamed.
Turning right on well-known downhill shoulder roads is far less problematic.
I'm more conservative now that I don't ride fast anywhere, but mostly I have little to add to this conversation other than I would rather die on my bike than most of the alternatives.
Old 08-10-20, 01:30 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Silly

Silly question, of course I stop at a stop sign...
if no one is there ,, the question now is , if a tree falls and no one is in the forest to hear it, does it make a sound??
ponder that grasshopper??
Seriously however I stop and put my foot down for a second. They usually wave me on some times, probably because of my white beard,, hehehe. I find that if a lot of cars are at the intersection ,, back pedaling or putting one foot down let's them know it's their turn .
I try and have the attitude we have the right to be on the road and the right to follow the same laws.

Last edited by rossiny; 08-10-20 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 07:50 AM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Depends on the situation. I am always prepared to stop. If I am riding in a busy area I will stop, On quiet low travelled back roads I will make eye contact w/ a driver then act accordingly. If he waves me through I give a wave of thanks and ride through, always checking the front wheel of the car to detect movement. If there is more then 1 car at a corner I stop. On the flip side I was driving to work today and I am stopped at a four way stop sign. I make a right and hear a voice behind me, I slow down and a cyclist says you almost hit me. I replied I stopped”He then says my name & “you ride too”. Then I realized we know each other from town. I get out shake his hands and apologize saying I looked but did not see him. Thinking about it on the way to work on why I didn’t see him. I always try to be aware of cyclists, possibly I only “ saw what I expected to see” after seeing no cars and that is nothing. On the flip side my acquaintance, had no safety equipment outside a helmet on, no lights or reflective or bright clothing and certainly didn’t stop for the stop sign. Possibly he assumed I saw him, which is a reasonable assumption. I guess we both could have done a better job.

Last edited by justtrying; 08-10-20 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 08:21 AM
justtrying

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
OK, I can tell I'm the contrarian here. However, some newer riders may value a different perspective.

My context: I ride on suburban roads to get to places.

I always slow down for intersections. If I don't have a clear line of sight, or if there are any moving motor vehicles in sight, I stop at stop signs. I check my mirror and I know what's going on behind me. I drop a foot to show that I'm stopped. If I encounter a "nice-hole" I take my hands off the handlebars and look around.

My reason is that I have to ride defensively. I've seen motorists blow through red lights and stop signs and yield signs and I'm the one that is going to get hurt crashing at an intersection. And I'm not in that much of a hurry.

Will this guarantee I don't get hurt? No. But I've ridden enough in traffic to know that this improves my odds.

About a week ago I pulled into a parking lot and there was a car leaving. Without signaling, he crossed right in front of me to loop through the parking lot again. I had the right of way but not the weight. I was ready and stopped. I had a flashing white light on and was wearing bright colors. He said he didn't see me which isn't impossible; I might have been obscured by his A-column. More likely he just wasn't paying attention. The point is that even when I have the right of way, I have to be ready to avoid a collision.

I will also say that in my view there are way too many stop signs in my area; I don't know about yours. Almost all those places where I don't stop, don't need a stop sign to begin with. The trend of putting in stop signs in residential areas to "slow down traffic" is particularly, well, stupid. The over-use of traffic signs habituates road users to ignoring them.

OK, blast away...
I agree with you wholeheartedly, particularly about the stop signs. To get to my house there are 11 stop signs in a little over 3/4s of a mile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.