Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Sizing a Giant Propel Advanced 1

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 01:51 PM
dlawless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey this is my first time on a forum of any kind so I apologize if I am posting incorrectly or in the wrong section. I’m looking at picking up a 2014 Propel Advanced 1 M/L size. I am 6’1”. I think a large would be my option on most other makes/models but after looking at the top tube length (57.5”) on the is model/size it seems like it would fit fine. I have also read people tend to size down on this model due to the longer thanks average top tube length.

currently riding a very old mercier Aquila 58cm that has a top tube length of about 57.5cm also.

So my question is with a M/L fit me okay? Main concern would be if the seat height race can handle me. 34” inseam. Giant doesn’t have many dimension measurements on their frames.

Last edited by dlawless; 05-30-20 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-31-20, 07:44 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Welcome to BF's.

In general, I think people with longer legs and a shorter body might be more comfortable on the smaller frame size if your in between. I don't know about this specific bike though. You just need to check the seat max height. Its probably OK though. You might need a longer seat post. I highly advise trying one out first.

In my case I have short legs for my height and am in between small and medium frame size. A medium would be best except the standover height is too high on a medium. So I went with the small frame. By moving my seat back on the rails I have found a position that works for me.

Some bike geometry is more forgiving then others no doubt. I'm guessing with a full fledged race bike proper fitting is more important. As we get towards endurance and hybrid bikes we have more room to fine tune a slightly undersize or oversize frame with seat and handlebar adjustments to work well.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 05-31-20 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
What does the Giant sizing guide say for you on their website? If you are in the overlap then either will do. Until you are actually on the bike riding it you just won't know. That is why test rides for as long as the bike shop will let you is really helpful.

No amount of formulas and calculation will put you in the perfect bike any more than what the bikes manufacturer came up with. To do better requires some of your own personal experience with bikes of that type.

Don't make the mistake of trying to compare bikes of different geometries and tube lengths to a new purchase. And unless you plan to do a lot of mileage per week, say in excess of 150 miles per week, it's not going to be a big deal if the frame is two sizes one way or the other.
Old 05-31-20, 07:20 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
The chart on Giant's web site says that year model (M/L) has a 57 cm top tube and and Standover of 32 inches. The Large has a 58.5mm top tube length and 32.9 inch standover.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/pr...dvanced-1-2014
Old 06-01-20, 08:41 AM
dlawless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone, I decided to pass on this bike as I am leaning for towards an endurance style frame.