Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Kids MTB - too big?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Kids MTB - too big?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 01:05 PM
palle22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kids MTB - too big?

Hi

I have bought a 24" bike for my 6 year old son - he tried a different brand in a shop, and the 20" was almost too small - the 24" was suggested by the retailer. He measures 121 cm.

However; he cannot reach the ground when seated, and he stretches his legs out almost entirely when riding.

It's a nice bike and he likes it, so we will keep it anyway - but should I buy a 20" for him, that he could ride for the next year or so - or will he get used to the "a little too big" bike? Maybe it's too dangerous, or maybe even damaging his knees?

Thanks in advance from Denmark!
Old 06-05-20, 11:04 PM
palle22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inseam 56 cm without shoes, lowest seat height 70 cm.
Old 06-06-20, 03:03 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I'm an adult, 152cm, and I ride a 24" wheeled bike these days. I'm of the view that most people, children and adults alike are fitted to bikes that are too large for them so yes, I would put your son on a smaller bike for a while.

I just remembered. I rode a 16" wheeled bike until I was 12. Then I rode an 18" wheeled bike until I was 15 before I got a 24" wheeled bike for the first time. Later on I moved to even larger wheeled bikes yet in hindsight I should have stayed with 24" wheeled bikes.
Old 06-06-20, 05:46 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by palle22

However; he cannot reach the ground when seated
Being able to reach the ground from the saddle is a rather unimportant feature in bike fit. It’s very common only to reach with the toes. It’s generally recommended to be able to straddle the bike off saddle and have some margin to the top tube.
and he stretches his legs out almost entirely when riding.
Legs ”almost straight” when pedalling sounds just fine, as long as he doesn’t have to flex his foot to pedal with his toes.
Another thing to look for is if he’s rocking his hips to reach the pedals. That’s a fairly reliable sign of a too high saddle.
but should I buy a 20" for him, that he could ride for the next year or so
On numbers alone, a 24” bike sounds big for a 6-year old. But I’m not there. Sizing and fit issues are easier judged visually.

will he get used to the "a little too big" bike?
Very likely. Or grow into it.

Maybe it's too dangerous?
IMO, that would be more dependent on how he is able to handle the bike than the fit as such. If he has to stretch a lot forward-and-out to reach the bars, that would interfere with bike control. Perhaps enough to add an important amount of risk. However, at that age, the biggest contribution to risk comes from judgement error. I’m not sure if changing handling ability a few % would be important in the big picture.
maybe even damaging his knees?
Not saying it’s impossible, but it’s FAR more common to trigger knee issues by riding with the saddle too low.
Old 06-08-20, 08:13 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Hi

I have bought a 24" bike for my 6 year old son - he tried a different brand in a shop, and the 20" was almost too small - the 24" was suggested by the retailer. He measures 121 cm.

However; he cannot reach the ground when seated, and he stretches his legs out almost entirely when riding.

It's a nice bike and he likes it, so we will keep it anyway - but should I buy a 20" for him, that he could ride for the next year or so - or will he get used to the "a little too big" bike? Maybe it's too dangerous, or maybe even damaging his knees?

Thanks in advance from Denmark!
If he has standover clearance and can mount it fine, then just use it. I have seen kids riding adults fixies that are "too big".
Old 06-08-20, 08:15 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
I'm an adult, 152cm, and I ride a 24" wheeled bike these days. I'm of the view that most people, children and adults alike are fitted to bikes that are too large for them so yes, I would put your son on a smaller bike for a while.

I just remembered. I rode a 16" wheeled bike until I was 12. Then I rode an 18" wheeled bike until I was 15 before I got a 24" wheeled bike for the first time. Later on I moved to even larger wheeled bikes yet in hindsight I should have stayed with 24" wheeled bikes.
I am with you. The wheel size does not determine the frame size. Mini velos and 20 inch (and smaller wheels) exist for adults.
Old 06-08-20, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
I can't reach the ground with both my feet when seated in the saddle. I'm just on a road bike though. Don't know if it should be different for a mountain bike.

But the norm for being stopped on a bike is to be off the saddle. I do sometimes stay in the saddle but lean to one side standing with one foot on the ground.