Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Erraticism - recommend speed and cadence sensors with low-priced GPS units

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-20, 05:35 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts

I attached my Wahoo Blue SC combo speed/cadence sensor with the rubber thing they included in the package almost 2 years ago. It no longer holds the sensor in space. The magnet they send with it doesn't fit my TA Cyclotouriste crank very well. Today the 2 really didn't get along (lots of clicking), so I removed the sensor.

Holy cow! My Lezyne Macro GPS did OK for distance, but speed kept varying by multiple MPH from second to second - like 7.2 mph,, then 13.7, 15.3, 11.5, 9.8, 2.6, 12,2 .... Without cadence info I had no idea what I was doing. OK ... it's a low priced GPS unit without GLONASS, but every place I ride has trees that interfere with the signals.

Wahoo sends zip ties with the Blue SC. I have nothing to lose by trying those out.
Old 06-06-20, 07:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
It’s the speed sensor that gives you the accurate speed and distance reading, not the cadence sensor. A GPS by itself might have a few seconds lag on speed. Then you factor in signal errors due to foliage and the speed will be all over the place as you watch the GPS try to keep up.

Yes, use zip ties.
Old 06-07-20, 03:07 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a couple of older Wahoo speed/cadence magnet sensors. They're very reliable when set up properly. I use zip ties. And a dab of permanent glue stick adhesive on the back of the tiny, thin cadence sensor. It's not really permanent -- the magnet can be dislodged with a fingernail -- but it holds better than just the zip tie. The speed sensor doesn't need it -- the grippy rubber shoe for that sensor holds fine on the chainstay.

It's generally more reliable than my earth induction speed/cadence sensor.

GPS alone for speed sorta works but it depends on the phone/computer receiver, antenna, etc. I have a computer that supposedly receives all satellites and automagically switches as appropriate -- no manually select option. There's an icon that indicates when it switches but the sparse user manual doesn't explain what it means.

And I've used an old iPhone 4s and newer Android phone. While there may be occasional glitches and discrepancies on some Strava segments, the phone(s) and computer are usually within a few tenths of a mph within each other for segments and the overall ride.
Old 06-07-20, 07:26 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I attached my Wahoo Blue SC combo speed/cadence sensor with the rubber thing they included in the package almost 2 years ago. It no longer holds the sensor in space. The magnet they send with it doesn't fit my TA Cyclotouriste crank very well. Today the 2 really didn't get along (lots of clicking), so I removed the sensor.

Holy cow! My Lezyne Macro GPS did OK for distance, but speed kept varying by multiple MPH from second to second - like 7.2 mph,, then 13.7, 15.3, 11.5, 9.8, 2.6, 12,2 .... Without cadence info I had no idea what I was doing. OK ... it's a low priced GPS unit without GLONASS, but every place I ride has trees that interfere with the signals.

Wahoo sends zip ties with the Blue SC. I have nothing to lose by trying those out.
Are the "rubber thing" you mentioned the band that holds the sensor to the chain stay or the rubber pad that keeps the sensor from scratching the paint? If it's the band, you can get them at any hardware store, If it's the rubber pad, you can secure it and keep it from sliding with two sided tape before attaching the O-rings. As for the magnet, a rare earth magnet attached to the backside of your pedal works really well. I've had the same rare earth magnet on one of my bikes since 2012. Using Zip Ties to hold the sensor works great but I've noticed some scratches on my chain stay caused by the ties. My bike is white and they show up more than on darker colored bikes,

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-07-20, 10:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
The zip tie that held my magnet to my crackset was not working well. I removed the magnet and used some two sided adhesive backed foam to tape the magnet to the crankset. Works great. Cost a buck at Dollar Tree.
https://www.dollartree.com/super-glu...t-rolls/247744

This was for cadence, not speed sensor.
Old 06-07-20, 05:37 PM
philbob57

Thanks for the double-sided tape idea.
Old 06-08-20, 10:37 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You can switch to the magnetless sensors so that you don't need to fiddle around with magnets and zip ties
Old 06-08-20, 09:30 PM
philbob57

I'm thinkin' on that. I hate to throw away something with useful life left in it, and I've already spent a lot on biking this year. Besides, I'm 75, retired....