Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike sizing help please.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Bike sizing help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 12:24 PM
DSMRob

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 Disk. 2014 Cannondale Quick 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike sizing help please.

So I have been looking for a Surly LHT and have found 2 used ones that fit the price range I want to be in. Here is the issue one is a 54 and the other a 56. For argument sake lets say I need a 55. Is it better to get a smaller size and try to fit it a little bigger or a larger size and fit it smaller. I am 5'8 and wear a 29-30" leg pants if that helps in any way.
Thank you in advance.
Old 06-09-20, 12:34 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
As you probably know, you are at the top of their medium and middle of their large sizing suggestion. If you like a more upright ride go for the 56.

If you are going to be doing gravel or off-road the smaller frame would give more top tube clearance.

In either case, you can adjust either one to fit with a different stem and seat post adjustment.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-09-20, 03:54 PM
DSMRob

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 Disk. 2014 Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you,
Pulling the trigger on the 56.
Old 06-10-20, 06:39 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMRob
So I have been looking for a Surly LHT and have found 2 used ones that fit the price range I want to be in. Here is the issue one is a 54 and the other a 56. For argument sake lets say I need a 55. Is it better to get a smaller size and try to fit it a little bigger or a larger size and fit it smaller. I am 5'8 and wear a 29-30" leg pants if that helps in any way.
Thank you in advance.
As I don't know what year model 56cm you're getting/have purchased, I'll just say the latest 56cm has a 32" frame standover. (measure your 'cycling' inseam).
Old 07-17-20, 06:46 PM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Thank you in advance.
Not being familiar with Surly but we’re the same height and my inseam is 30-31”. I tend to go smaller for easier standover height and more liveliness off the saddle. In fact my current gravel bike on order at Lynskey is more like a 51, comparable to Cannondale Synapse’ size range. Figure I’ll be changing the stem and seatpost any way to dial it in.
Old 07-18-20, 09:27 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Thank you in advance.
I am the same size and same short legs. I prefer a 55, but would rather go to 56 than down to 54.... because longer torso needs the long top tube length.... stand over doesn't do a thing for you when riding the bike.
Likes For trailangel: