Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

In between sizes

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

In between sizes

Old 06-13-20, 09:30 AM
tfarmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In between sizes

I’m looking at a Trek Checkpoint SL6. My local dealer just got in a 2021 in a size 56. However my measurements fall on the high side of the 56 and low size of the 58. My height without shoes is 71” and my inseam 33”. I rode this 56 and raised the seat a little and moved the seat position back a little. The bike seemed fine. However I’m a beginning rider so I really don’t know exactly how it should fit. The dealer said one of criteria he has always uses is while in the saddle when you look down at the handlebars is your vision of the front hub blocked. He told me to ride and look up and then look down to see if I could see the front hub which I could’nt see it. My problem is I don’t want to get this bike if I really need a size 58 since it is an expensive bike. The 58’s are currently on backorder till Augusta and he is holding this bike for me through Monday.

From several posts I’ve read on this forum a lot of posters recommend that you size up if in between sizes. Looking for a little help for a newbie.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-20, 12:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
If you fall in between two sizes, you'll be able to adjust things on the bike to make it fit you very well. Seat position, handle bar height and even stem length changes can make a bike feel great. Even for those of us that can't afford custom bikes.
Old 06-16-20, 09:57 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by tfarmer
I’m looking at a Trek Checkpoint SL6. My local dealer just got in a 2021 in a size 56. However my measurements fall on the high side of the 56 and low size of the 58. My height without shoes is 71” and my inseam 33”. I rode this 56 and raised the seat a little and moved the seat position back a little. The bike seemed fine. However I’m a beginning rider so I really don’t know exactly how it should fit. The dealer said one of criteria he has always uses is while in the saddle when you look down at the handlebars is your vision of the front hub blocked. He told me to ride and look up and then look down to see if I could see the front hub which I could’nt see it. My problem is I don’t want to get this bike if I really need a size 58 since it is an expensive bike. The 58’s are currently on backorder till Augusta and he is holding this bike for me through Monday.

From several posts I’ve read on this forum a lot of posters recommend that you size up if in between sizes. Looking for a little help for a newbie.

Thanks.
It depends on what you want from your fit. Both will work. IF you want to get your bars up closer to the same level as the seat, or the same level as your seat, get the bigger frame. If not, the 56 should be fine. I will take a wild stab at it and say go with the 56. If you were looking at a touring bike, I would say go larger. It sounds as if the 56 fits fine.
Old 06-20-20, 01:24 AM
Mv350

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
It really does sound like the 56 fits you well. You can make adjustments to make a 56 slightly larger to fit you, you can only do so much to make a bike smaller though. I would say go for it.