Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Brake Issue

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Brake Issue

Old 06-18-20, 01:50 PM
Rexhardy1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake Issue

Good afternoon. I current have a Trek 930 and am trying to improve the rear brake. The cable runs along the top tube and through a metal tube before reaching the brakes. There seems to be a lot of friction on the cable due to metal on metal inside the tube. Has anyone got suggestions or a good work around for improving this routing? I understand the reason for the friction but not sure how to correct it, if even possible. Thanks.

Rex
Old 06-18-20, 02:35 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
So BITD the solution was to use a piece of inner liner; the issue is that sometimes the liner does not fit through the curves so experimenting might be necessary. Finding the right stiffness is key. I've often used sections of empty ink tubes of disposable pens when I don't have a liner but some are very soft. That was 25 years ago, maybe pens have changed?

Basically many were meant to be run dry, so the best thing to do is run a polished and die cut cable and lube the brake studs to remove friction. Keep the cables clean and friction free and generally the noodle is not an issue. Don't get a coated cable, as the expensive coating will fray off instantly.

You can also run a cam or a different hanger and route the cable directly into either with continuous housing, or by adding a cable stop to the top tube.

Or switch to V brakes.
Old 06-18-20, 05:14 PM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I will try the liner from an ink pen first as I have several of those at my disposal. While I am at it will make sure the cable is nice and clean on that section as I haven’t had it pulled since I have owned the bike. Which BTW is relatively recent as I didn’t buy the bike new.
Old 06-18-20, 07:40 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I have a Trek 750 with the same rear cable pipe. I use an inner liner from a linear pull brake noodle, and that works great. There's almost zero friction through this pipe with a good liner. A noodle liner has an enlarged flange on one end, to prevent being pulled through the noodle. Insert this from the REAR of the cable pipe, so the enlarged flange bottoms out against the REAR of the pipe. Cable tension while pulling the brake will want to pull the liner forward, so you want this flange on the rear to prevent the liner from being pulled through.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-19-20, 06:14 PM
Rexhardy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the other option. I need to try something because I don’t like the way it is now.
Old 06-20-20, 02:01 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I have a 1996 Trek 730 and it has no brake cable friction issues, so this is a problem that can be solved. Others will tell you how .
Old 06-23-20, 10:38 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
When it's time to replace the cables pick up some teflon coated ones...
https://www.amazon.ca/Aztec-Coated-B.../dp/B000FSSMGG