Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Pacific Carryall Trike : how to fix front basket?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-20, 05:19 AM
bonjourpanda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi. I recently got a Pacific Carryall trike for transportation during Covid. I've never had a (bi/tri)cycle before, except when I was very little. I'd like a front basket to put my keys, cash and phone in and not sure how to go about it. There's a rack at the back but I'm not comfortable putting my small important items there.

I've googled, but it looks like my brake levers are in the way of the basket, compared to pictures and instructions of other people's bicycles. I got a basket that attaches via leather straps, but it doesn't really fit. The brake levers and cables are in the way and the basket tilts towards me.

I've temporarily attached it to the head tube with the leather straps, a bag strap and lots of cable ties.

It's cable tied the back and at the bottom as well, there's a sort of sticky out metal hole thing at the base of the head tube.

It works okayish. I've been cycling around with it and nothing falls out, but the basket slowly swings.

Is there something here I'm missing? Like is there a specific kind of basket or attacher I'm supposed to be looking for?

Ideally I'd like a basket on my bike as opposed to a bag or wearing things with pockets.
Old 06-26-20, 08:16 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Do you not fold the bike? If you have a basket, wouldn't that interfere with the fold?

I know you are against bags, but looking at images of the bike, I think a bag is likely less of a hassle than a basket. I would go with a rear rack bag that you can velcro into position. I think that would be easier to put on and take off than a basket. They are big enough to hold the items you listed. With zippers and velcro in position--it's less likely to be snatched if security is a concern. You can secure the zippers. Get one with a should strap and it can be your regular bag. That rack seems perfect for a bag.

Another option is a large saddle bag.
Old 07-01-20, 10:56 PM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks!

You're right, I can't fix a front basket to it and fold unless it's a very shallow basket. I can however attach back basket to it for groceries and it's fine when folded. When I'm cycling I now carry a small handbag and secure it to a loop in front of the trike with a buckle strap, and that works.
Old 07-01-20, 11:44 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
1) do a net search for ”clickfix handlebar bag”. These come with a bracket that attaches to the bar and protrudes a bit forward. With luck, enough to clear your brake lever assembly.
2) by the pics it looks like your bike uses a standard handlebar stem. If that is correct, then you might be able to fit another stem, and another handlebar below the current one. Then you’d be able to hang your basket off that one w/o interfering with your brake levers. You’d probably want to cut down the width of the basket bar, but that would be a simple operation.
3) those holes down by the headset looks mighty tempting. It wouldn’t take much fabrication skill to use those to secure a basket, perhaps aided by a length of hanger strap and a P-clamp or two.
Old 07-02-20, 03:02 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks dabac , I like the look of the klickfix. If not for my front, then as a replacement for my rear basket that's currently held in place with cable ties. It'll be nice to have a basket that clicks on and off.

​​I've got my lil buckle strap in the hole by the headset right now. I did try to attach a basket there, but the issue was it hinders folding. I'd need a basket that's much narrower on the z axis. I'll check out the additional handlebar too. Being able to clip something in and out would be great. For now the strap works well, although it's easier to just have my phone in an open top basket.
I haven't had much cause to fold my bike because of covid, but I will when things settle down and I have to go in to work again. I take the subway there (too far and I'd have to cycle on a highway during rush hour, which is a No on the little folding trike), but I plan on occasionally cycling somewhere for lunch or to a bakery or yoga or something, so there'll be days I'll have my bike with me and I'll need to be able to fold it up easily.
Old 07-29-20, 09:44 AM
bonjourpanda

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just an update:

I got the klickfix handlebar adaptor and a Klickfix uni basket, and an adaptor mounting plate for the Pacific Carryme/Carryall.
​​​​​