Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Little things make a difference.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-24-20, 07:55 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

When I rode my hybrid immediately after two hours on my gravel bike it seemed, I don't know, dead? The gravel rolled so much easier so after dinner I, for no good reason, pulled the front wheel off the hybrid and found the bearings sounded gritty. Pulled the cones, cleaned greased and reassembled. Again, for no good reason, decided to swap out the toe-cage pedals on the gravel bike and go to a large flat studded pedal I had bought and never used. After pulling the cage and pedals off the gravel I found the pedal axle to be just about set-up and really difficult to turn with my fingers. Held the axle and found the cage was heavy enough to make the whole assembly look normal but it obviously was not. Next day I rode the two bikes, the hybrid for about two miles and the gravel around fifteen, and found a truly noticeable difference with both. Little things sure can make a difference.
Frank.