Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Canyon bikes paint ¿quality issues?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 02:33 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts

I have a Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0 with around 40 hours of use. At the fourth or fifth ride with it I noticed 2 paint chips: one on the bottom bracket underside, and another on the left chainstay. I didn't worry too much about it as the frame came with a dent from the factory and I'm waiting for them to have stock again and get a replacement (they told me, at the end of summer, and they let me ride the bike while I wait).

Thing is, today I was doing a long really steep climb, riding around 5kph. I was looking down, towards the bottom bracket, when I saw the rear wheel knobs pick a small stone. The stone turned around all the way until it hit the chainstay, I heard the familiar "clunk" that you hear on a mountain bike where things like this happen every 60 seconds, and the stone flew away. To my surprise, it left a "crater" on the red paint, with the exposed grey primer paint (exactly like the 2 other chips).

I've been riding for 20 years and never had a frame that got damaged so easily. My old bike, which was 10 years old and was ridden for 30.000km, had lots of scratches, but it didn't have any paint chip, except on the top tube, where it was hit with a friend's brake lever when carrying the bike on a van. The paint even held itself on the right chainstay after suffering lots of chain sucks on several muddy rides.

Was my old frame really good? or are Canyon painting their frames with watercolours to save weight/money?
Old 06-25-20, 07:26 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Environmental rules have changed the quality of paint over the years. Paint on new cars sucks just as bad.
Old 06-25-20, 08:07 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by prj71
Environmental rules have changed the quality of paint over the years. Paint on new cars sucks just as bad.
I have a 4 year old car. I clipped the parking door sensor plastic reflector. The reflector broke in half and with the pointy plastic that remained, scratched the door to the point that it created a 20cm long crease on the door metal.

I had to repair the crease, but the marks left on the door paint came away after using a bit of car polish with a microfiber cloth.

Maybe Toyota has some secret paint formula that doesn't share with Canyon?

I really like how the bike rides, but I'm frankly tired of dealing with its issues.
Old 06-25-20, 01:48 PM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
When you get your new frame, put some clear film on the downtube.

Like this: https://i.imgur.com/iBwuXu4.jpg
Old 06-26-20, 01:05 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Wooderson
When you get your new frame, put some clear film on the downtube.

Like this: https://i.imgur.com/iBwuXu4.jpg
It already has clear film from the factory. The chip appeared on the bottom bracket area, just where the film ends. I know I can tape the whole bike and there's people that do this.

However I've never done it because scratches have never bothered me. After all it's a mountain bike and it'll get scratched anyway. But I have never seen a paintjob that chipped so easily and so bad. To make matters worse, it's only the red color that chips, exposing a light grey primer paint underneath that seems it doesn't chip away so easily.

Frankly, I think thats a crappy paintjob. Totally unacceptable on any bike, let alone on a mountain bike.
Old 06-26-20, 06:47 AM
Wooderson

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Yeah, that sucks. I have a Canyon Lux, but it's flat black. It probably has chips, but I cannot tell.
Old 06-26-20, 07:44 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
I've been riding for 20 years and never had a frame that got damaged so easily.
Crappy paint aside... That's a pretty big jump to classify a paint chip as frame damage...

Last edited by u235; 06-26-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-26-20, 08:09 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by u235
Crappy paint aside... That's a pretty big jump to classify a paint chip as frame damage...
Well, it's aesthetic damage, obviously not structural. But it's damage nevertheless. The paint of a mountain bike frame shouldn't chip when the wheel throws a bit of gravel to it at a slow speed.

I've been riding for 20 years and never had a single chip where I could feel its depth with my finger and the frame lost the paint colour. Suddenly, I have a frame with 3 of them made in less than 3 months.

Three of this in less than 3 months of riding once per week.

Last edited by Amt0571; 06-26-20 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-30-20, 01:05 AM
Amt0571

Well... this is definitely the worst paintjob I have ever seen. Last night I put clear tape in the area of the chainstays surrounding the tire, spanning an area 2.5cm back of the tire tread, and 3.5cm forward of it as I considered that a likely area for small stones to hit.

Today I was climbing again and I heard a "bang". I looked down expecting the worst and there it was. A chip 0.5cm in diameter on the left chainstay, 4cm away from the wheel tread ends.

So, this bike has been ridden only for 250km and it already has 4 paint chips of considerable diameter. When I get the frame replaced, I'm starting to seriously consider selling the new one and buying a frame from another brand.