Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Eurovelo distances

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Eurovelo distances

Old 06-27-20, 04:40 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Eurovelo distances

Hi, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how the heck do I find the distances for different sections of Eurovelo routes?
For example, here's the map for EV 11 in Estonia, but how long is it?
https://en.eurovelo.com/ev11/estonia

Thanks!
Old 06-27-20, 07:07 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I did some searching around and found this link at bikemap.net which appears to be the EV 11 route in Estonia. According to the map page, it is just under 500 kilometers long.

I found it by searching Google for Eurovelo 11. I found other links to information about this route, as well.
Old 06-27-20, 07:45 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Thanks Raybo. Yes, that seems to be the Estonia part of EV 11. I find it strange that Eurovelo doesn't give that basic information on their maps though. I'm sure a lot of googling and work with google maps will sort any EV route, but it would seem to me to be such an obvious thing to put on any route map.
Old 06-28-20, 05:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Thanks Raybo. Yes, that seems to be the Estonia part of EV 11. I find it strange that Eurovelo doesn't give that basic information on their maps though. I'm sure a lot of googling and work with google maps will sort any EV route, but it would seem to me to be such an obvious thing to put on any route map.
hi imi, when I did researching for our eurovelo trip a few summers back, I seem to recall being a little unsure of distances at times looking at the website. I recall seeing webpages of individual sectionswith details of the route, but I also remember thinking that the next time we did an eurovelo route (had planned for this year) that we would purchase a specific route book if possible. We do not own a GPS unit and last trip on the Eurovelo 6, we were unsuccessful getting a France SIM card in our phones, there was a technical incompatibility ,so we didn't have working phones or data etc.
Old 06-28-20, 11:11 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
we were unsuccessful getting a France SIM card in our phones, there was a technical incompatibility ,so we didn't have working phones or data etc.
Android or iOS? If Android, you may want to consider an offline solution. We (successfully) use Locus Pro + bRouter (the latter generates routes while offline) on Samsung Galaxy phones (S5/7/9).
Old 06-28-20, 11:17 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
www.biroto.eu is worth a look for more info.
Here's one link https://www.biroto.eu/en/cycle-route...saw/rt00000593

As always, CrazyGuyOnABike should yield some useful info.

https://cycle.travel/ is a clever bike route planner showing dedicated cycle routes. Also very handy for getting an idea of overall distance and terrain. Links to Google Street view where available. A very handy tool and worth getting to know.

As a European I would never rely on Google Maps for route planning. It is useful for a general idea of distances and terrain, is great for storing POIs that can be accessed offline (if you've saved the relevant areas) and has its uses in large urban areas. If you plan on using Google Maps for planning & navigation I hope you have a go-anywhere-do-anything kind of bike! :-) or enjoy riding on main roads.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-20, 11:25 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by imi
Hi, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how the heck do I find the distances for different sections of Eurovelo routes?
For example, here's the map for EV 11 in Estonia, but how long is it?
https://en.eurovelo.com/ev11/estonia

Thanks!
I typically use bRouter, offline, when underway, to generate routes. There is an online version where you can play with the itinerary and get (usually) great routing advice. See here for (roughly) Eurovelo in Estonia (422kms). Note that the link appears to break the web app. Reload if you want to test route alternatives.

Top right you can display additional layers, including cycling routes. You'll clearly see the EV network

gMaps doesn't support bike routes for this region, but offers reasonable approximations if you are patient enough to specify several waypoints.

Last edited by gauvins; 06-28-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 01:47 PM
djb

Originally Posted by gauvins
Android or iOS? If Android, you may want to consider an offline solution. We (successfully) use Locus Pro + bRouter (the latter generates routes while offline) on Samsung Galaxy phones (S5/7/9).
hi gauvins, Android. I may have mentioned it, but we spent a few hours at an Orange phone store in Nantes and they were never able to get their orange system SIM cards working on our then fairly recent android phones. They even called and spoke with Quebec Telus phone people but there was some incompatibility, the exact details I've forgotten now.

I did have Maps.me on our phones, with preloaded OSM maps covering our route across France, and that worked fine for situating ourselves when we weren't sure, but I hadn't figured out how to put the Eurovelo 6 gpx route into maps.me, but really wasn't needed. The only issue was a few times when signage wasn't clear and towards the end of the trip when this would happen, this would upset my wife even if taking a small road was an easy solution.
I'm not really keen on using a phone for turn by turn bicycle use, but I guess are some point will have to deal with this, or some kind of GPS unit.
in general, I'm comfortable getting by, and have been for my whole life, using paper maps, asking the odd question, and a reasonably good sense of direction, to get from here to there. I do see though, how in cities, I should work out how to use modern technology, to save time.
I know you're a techno guy who enjoys this stuff a lot. I'm in the middle, both in interest and usage ability, but obviously need to get a better understanding of this for those times real world routes aren't clear, and specifically in urban areas.
I've been hesitant to buy a GPS unit because it wouldn't get used much, and they change quickly it seems, so hesitant to buy something that would be obselete in a short time.

thanks though for those android suggestions.
Old 06-28-20, 02:42 PM
gauvins

wrt phone/SIM compatibility (1) I assume that your phone was unlocked, but Canadian phones were sold locked until fairly recently. IIRC, can be unlocked for free if you ask your carrier (2) if this is still an issue for you, you can get the list of frequencies supported by your phone and cross-check with those from foreign networks. Very very unlikely to be the problem, however.

wrt routing -- there are several alternatives. Locus Pro has a store where you can purchase maps for a nominal fee. Free is nice but when a map is optimized and up-to-date for a couple of bucks...I've downloaded maps for most of the world but I typically purchase/update the map(s) for the destination where I am planning to tour. Fewer surprises.

take care
Old 06-28-20, 08:46 PM
djb

Yes, they were unlocked. I had unlocked mine successfully with a simple phone call to Telus, and had no problems getting a Mexican SIM card to work, data working also there. I wish I could remember the Nantes details, they told me but because I was unfamiliar with the terms and details, it didn't stick in my head.
The locus pro maps sound interesting and makes sense to pay for up to date stuff.
If ever I get to Scotland and England, I suspect it would be a real plus to have a better understanding of some system of an app that could help with following established bike friendly routes.

thanks again, keep in mind to get in touch if in Montreal. Cheers
Old 07-02-20, 03:00 AM
imi
aka Timi

Thanks everyone!
The biroto.eu site looks pretty good, though no complete listing of stages distances.

Last edited by imi; 07-02-20 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:54 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Looking at the EV site it looks like they haven't actually done that section yet, it's in planning, so may not be signposted. We went the other way on Eurovelo 10 to Riga. It wasn't the most interesting riding, Estonia was mostly pine forests and the coast isn't super exciting. It was signposted, but you had to watch out for the occasional loop that went a long way but got you nowhere.
With your phone, best thing is to find out what actual bands it uses and see what bands the network you are getting the sim card runs on.
Old 07-02-20, 09:09 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
With your phone, best thing is to find out what actual bands it uses and see what bands the network you are getting the sim card runs on.
will try to remember that detail...thks