Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Jean Paul Routens

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 03:45 AM
gabbbahey

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic Royal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jean Paul Routens

Hi!

Iīve been offered to buy a Jean Paul Routens. I donīt know anything about these bikes, never seen one before.
I kind of like the color scheme and it seems to be about my size.

The price is $425. Is it a good deal?

Columbus SLX new tubing. No pedals.

parts:
gear handles Campagnolo Athena
Brakes Campagnolo Athena
Carnkset Campagnolo Athena
Seatpost Campagnolo Athena
back derailer Campagnolo Veloce
front derailerCampagnolo Record
Selle Italia flite kevlar saddle
Vittoria Rubin Pro tires

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7537280838.jpg (60.7 KB, 183 views)
Old 05-22-15, 03:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I have bought lots and lots of vintage bicycles and I would pay $425.00 for that bicycle in a heart beat. It is not a smoking deal but a decent price for a more than decent bicycle.
Old 05-22-15, 05:37 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Jean Paul Routens is the son of Jo Routens the famous constructeur from Grenoble in France. He continues to be a builder and bike shop owner. He expanded from the hand made fillet brazed custom work of his father's time into lugged and lower spec price points as wll as into components like the JPR seatpost. The bike you are looking at seems to have the fillet brazed construction his father popularized and therefore should be a very good high end product and value at the price it is offered. If it is a good fit, it should be a good choice.
Old 05-22-15, 06:12 PM
raymond1354

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As noted by bertinjim, JPR was the son of Jo Routens. Many of his frames apparently were built out of house and labelled Routens. Some think that even after JPR took over his father's business, that the early frames were still being built by him (JR) though they were badged "Routens". This frame post-dates JR's death.

Many "Routens" frames seem to have been of good quality, but, I don't think, after his father's death, they would be regarded up to the level of his father's reputation (who is often mentioned in the same sentence as Singer and Herse). I would think that if it is filet brazed (JR's signature method) this frame would be considered among the best JPR produced and may not be a contract frame. I have never seen a photo of JPR frame that was filet brazed, they all have had lugs.

Judging from the photo I can't tell whether it is filet brazed or not, but I do think it likely to be one of the better JPR bikes. $425 is a good price and may be a bargain. I wouldn't be surprised if it is worth 2-3 times that.

Hope this helps.

r
Old 05-22-15, 08:50 PM
raymond1354

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually just found 2 others on flicker. Am getting the feeling this is a good bike.

r
Old 05-23-15, 09:07 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by raymond1354
Actually just found 2 others on flicker. Am getting the feeling this is a good bike.

r
To say the very least...
Old 05-23-15, 12:47 PM
gabbbahey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have bought lots and lots of vintage bicycles and I would pay $425.00 for that bicycle in a heart beat. It is not a smoking deal but a decent price for a more than decent bicycle.
Originally Posted by bertinjim
Jean Paul Routens is the son of Jo Routens the famous constructeur from Grenoble in France. He continues to be a builder and bike shop owner. He expanded from the hand made fillet brazed custom work of his father's time into lugged and lower spec price points as wll as into components like the JPR seatpost. The bike you are looking at seems to have the fillet brazed construction his father popularized and therefore should be a very good high end product and value at the price it is offered. If it is a good fit, it should be a good choice.
As noted by bertinjim, JPR was the son of Jo Routens. Many of his frames apparently were built out of house and labelled Routens. Some think that even after JPR took over his father's business, that the early frames were still being built by him (JR) though they were badged "Routens". This frame post-dates JR's death.

Many "Routens" frames seem to have been of good quality, but, I don't think, after his father's death, they would be regarded up to the level of his father's reputation (who is often mentioned in the same sentence as Singer and Herse). I would think that if it is filet brazed (JR's signature method) this frame would be considered among the best JPR produced and may not be a contract frame. I have never seen a photo of JPR frame that was filet brazed, they all have had lugs.

Judging from the photo I can't tell whether it is filet brazed or not, but I do think it likely to be one of the better JPR bikes. $425 is a good price and may be a bargain. I wouldn't be surprised if it is worth 2-3 times that.

Hope this helps.

r

r
Originally Posted by rando_couche
To say the very least...
Wow, thanks!

I really appreciate the help!

Seems like this bike could be a nice deal, I havenīt been able to see the bike for real yet, will go there on Monday and take it for a spin.

raymond1354: The seller states that the frame is fillet brazed, so it sure sounds like an early JPR bike then. When do you reckon this bike is from?
Would you mind linking the bikes you found on Flickr? I found a blue one thatīs looks similar to this one, is it one of them?
I donīt know if Iīm bad at using google, but I haveīt really found much info about these bikes...

Once again, thanks!
Old 05-23-15, 01:37 PM
raymond1354

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jp+ro...30%3B940%3B532

The above link has all kinds of Routens. On the first row to the far left a "contract" bike with lugs. the weird blurred out one is similar to that which you showed (brazed). To the far a 60's or 70's bike maybe made by JPR maybe JR. On the rest of the page are all kinds including a couple of Hugonnier-Routens from the late 40's. I think the bike you're looking at is from the 90's well after Jo Routens died, but I still think it is a very good bike.

This is a filet brazed track bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/311797...n/photostream/

r
Old 05-23-15, 01:44 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I think it is a pretty good deal provided it is your size. That is a huge frame set with fairly aggressive geometry for a rider around 6'4" +.
Old 05-23-15, 02:00 PM
raymond1354

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is closer to "yours" but with cantis: https://www.flickr.com/photos/311797...n/photostream/

r

p.s. It is a real art and time consuming to find this stuff. A lot about Routens is at Tonton velo, but it is in French and mostly about older Jo Routens
Old 05-23-15, 02:54 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts

The above link has all kinds of Routens. On the first row to the far left a "contract" bike with lugs. the weird blurred out one is similar to that which you showed (brazed). To the far a 60's or 70's bike maybe made by JPR maybe JR. On the rest of the page are all kinds including a couple of Hugonnier-Routens from the late 40's. I think the bike you're looking at is from the 90's well after Jo Routens died, but I still think it is a very good bike.

This is a filet brazed track bike

r
SLX = not a 1960s frame.
Old 05-23-15, 03:30 PM
gabbbahey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a filet brazed track bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/311797...n/photostream/

r
Originally Posted by zukahn1
I think it is a pretty good deal provided it is your size. That is a huge frame set with fairly aggressive geometry for a rider around 6'4" +.

raymond1354: Thanks! Iīll dig into that forum.

zukahn1: Iīm 6'2" Hm, you think it might be to big for me?
According to the seller it measures:
C/C TopTube = 580mm
C/C SeatTube = 605mm
Headtube = 185 mm

The bike Iīm currently riding, a Nishiki Olympic Royal (see attached photo), measures:
56 / 62 / 200
I have no problem riding this.

However, I realize now that the JPR is much longer, do you think thatīll cause me any problems?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
co4pSXSl.jpg (63.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 05-24-15, 09:59 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Well by those measurements it should be fine it does look bigger than that in the pics like a 62-64mm. I have found it hard to get good sizing fit info guidence from most sellers. The bike is definetly worth checking out in person to see how it fits would sell for a couple hundred more than asking price easy if it was a medium size.