Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

88 Trek 400 Upgrade

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

88 Trek 400 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 09:11 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
88 Trek 400 Upgrade

Posted this on General Discussion and advised to move question here...

Question. I have an 88 Trek 400 that I rarely ride because it is not very comfortable. The position of the brake hoods seems too far forward. The handle bars feel too narrow. Brakes are terrible.

So my question is this. I know the bike is rather low end to begin with (i have been corrected) so is it worth sinking money into to make it more comfortable. Perhaps move the shifters to the brake levers and off the down tube, replace handle bars, put on new rim brakes as the current brakes seem weak. Or do I sell it on Craigslist and buy something new for the same amount of money?

Old 04-20-17, 09:28 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I have an 89 Trek 400 and find the frame to be quite good. Tru Tember is good tubing material. I have found that it is cheaper to make changes with the bike you have rather then go through the uncertain process of selling then looking for a better bike. Does the frame size fit you? If so, make the component changes and don't listen to the snobs. Stems and handlebars can be changed. New pads and adjusted brakes make a big difference in performance.
Old 04-20-17, 10:02 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Yes it is worth making some changes the True temper frames and Matrix wheels even on the lower end Treks were basically top of the line as production bikes go and American hand made so yes it is worth a few buck for better brakes and shifter's.
Old 04-20-17, 10:08 AM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
If it fits for sure get it set up to ride. Looks to be in great shape. The seat junction is cool on these treks.
Old 04-20-17, 11:04 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Tombaatar

Question. I have an 88 Trek 400 that I rarely ride because it is not very comfortable. The position of the brake hoods seems too far forward. The handle bars feel too narrow. Brakes are terrible.
It's probably just the brake pads that are terrible; get new Kool Stop pads that will fit your current brakes.

Apart from that, fishing around here for a wider set of bars could net you something nice and cheap in the for sale section. And there's always the big online auction site. When you mount the new bars, mount the brake levers a little higher up. Or consider a getting a shorter stem with your new bars, effectively moving the bars back an inch or so.

If you're thinking about changing over to brifters, that also means probably changing your derailleurs & freewheel. If that's SunTour stuff I see on there, it won't index with Shimano brifters. Or Campagnolo Ergos.

I "upgraded" my '89 Trek 400 from a bare frame, and did the brifters thing with matching Shimano 600 TriColor parts. I think I have about $300 in it, but a lot of the parts came crazy cheap. It's a helluva bike, actually.

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 02-20-18 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 11:30 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Lascauxcaveman,

That looks really nice. Tell me about the paint if you would please. How did you find someone to do that? There isn't any reason to not repaint this bike is there?

i would rather ride that than a ubiquitous black racing bike.
Old 04-20-17, 11:48 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Lascauxcaveman,

That looks really nice. Tell me about the paint if you would please. How did you find someone to do that? There isn't any reason to not repaint this bike is there?
Other than your original paint being original and in beautiful condition? I guess not. If mine had been as sharp as yours, I wouldn't have had it powder coated (or painted).

Here's the scoop on mine, with lots more pics. In a nutshell, the original finish was pretty hopeless, with lots of little rust patches bubbling up underneath the paint and patches of it completely gone. So I took a flyer on the powder coating, which cost $130 including the media blasting to get the old paint off. The guy did a good job.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 04-20-17, 11:52 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Other than your original paint being original and in beautiful condition? I guess not. If mine had been as sharp as yours, I wouldn't have had it powder coated (or painted).

Here's the scoop on mine, with lots more pics. In a nutshell, the original finish was pretty hopeless, with lots of little rust patches bubbling up underneath the paint and patches of it completely gone. So I took a flyer on the powder coating, which cost $130 including the media blasting to get the old paint off. The guy did a good job.
The frame has several big scratches that I have covered over with nail polish. Not a good color match.
Old 04-20-17, 11:54 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts

So my question is this. I know the bike is rather low end to begin with (i have been corrected) so is it worth sinking money into to make it more comfortable. Perhaps move the shifters to the brake levers and off the down tube, replace handle bars, put on new rim brakes as the current brakes seem weak. Or do I sell it on Craigslist and buy something new for the same amount of money?
Your Trek 400 is a handsome bike, well-worth putting some time and money into.

As others have said, some of the issues you mention can be corrected by replacing the consumables (brake pads, cable/housing, etc). Swapping out bars and brake levers is an afternoon's work if you've never done it before.

But does the frame fit you?
Old 04-20-17, 11:57 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds

But does the frame fit you?

I think it does. I may be mistaken but I think so.
Old 04-20-17, 12:05 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
I think it does. I may be mistaken but I think so.
Height and inseam length? Could be the more aggressive riding position (relative to your other bikes) that makes it feel like it doesn't fit well, or it could be too big.
Old 04-20-17, 12:12 PM
altenwrencher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We sold lots of Treks in Milwaukee and Appleton, WO in the 1980s. It seemed to me that the brake cable housings being routed under the HB tape provided more friction than the exposed, gently looped routing that had been the norm. I'd start by disconnecting the brake cables at the calipers and assay the amount of friction. It couldn't hurt to grease the inner wire, too. While at it, squeeze the calipers and feel for excess friction there, too.

New brake pads, or at least sanding yours, could make a big or a little diff.

You might try putting your saddle closer to level - to take pressure off your hands. Once that's done, tweak its height.
Old 04-20-17, 12:14 PM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Height and inseam length? Could be the more aggressive riding position (relative to your other bikes) that makes it feel like it doesn't fit well, or it could be too big.

Sure. I do understand that a racing bike is going to have a more aggressive position than other bikes. I tried to recognize that when making the statement. While you could be correct that it is the aggressive position I am hoping different handle bars will make it more comfortable. Unless racing bikes just aren't comfortable.

it is a 60 cm and I am a long legged 6'1". My main ride is a 61cm sequoia. the barcalounger of the bicycle world.
Old 04-20-17, 12:32 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
IMO-

The Trek 400 is a pretty swell bike- a well made frame with quality tubing. It's a "sport touring" geometry- it came with some pretty decent equipment stock- From what I see, the parts have been changed out- Suntour Edge stuff and an Origin 8 stem.

If the bike has the hoods too far away, you can go with a shorter stem and/or bars with shorter reach. If the bars are too narrow, get wider bars.

Figure out about how far back you want your hands to be. Measure your stem, see about how long your existing stem is, and figure from there.

If you get new bars, they're measured at the ends- some bars flare out so even if they measure 42 at the ends, there still 39 at the hoods. That's no fun.

I've spent a whole lot of money putting Class A parts on my 1986 Trek 400. I could have gotten a much more expensive bike with that money- but not a much nicer bike.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-20-17, 12:40 PM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
IMO-

The Trek 400 is a pretty swell bike- a well made frame with quality tubing. It's a "sport touring" geometry- it came with some pretty decent equipment stock- From what I see, the parts have been changed out- Suntour Edge stuff and an Origin 8 stem.

If the bike has the hoods too far away, you can go with a shorter stem and/or bars with shorter reach. If the bars are too narrow, get wider bars.

Figure out about how far back you want your hands to be. Measure your stem, see about how long your existing stem is, and figure from there.

If you get new bars, they're measured at the ends- some bars flare out so even if they measure 42 at the ends, there still 39 at the hoods. That's no fun.

I've spent a whole lot of money putting Class A parts on my 1986 Trek 400. I could have gotten a much more expensive bike with that money- but not a much nicer bike.

I was corrected that it is a 89 (Suntour Edge) and not a 88. I did change out the stem in an attempt to make the positioning less aggressive. This is part of the reason why I think that it is not the aggressiveness of the position but instead the handle bars.
Old 04-20-17, 09:59 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Trek 400T build

Greetings all, very 1st post after foiiowing forum for about a year and a half, just finished building up a 1988 Trek 400T last week so I figured this would be a good time to jump in. It's actually the same as the OP's except in the alternate 1988 color scheme of blue and yellow. I found the bike in a storage shed in San Antonio, where it had been for the last 20 years or so, it was all there but the tires were pretty much rotted off. Checking with the vintage Trek website, bike was totally original right down to the tires, paint wasn't too bad, but freewheel and chainrings were quite worn. The frame fit, Crmoly, made in the USA, so I bought it. Put a little more into it then planned, keeping only the brake system, except for the cables and pads, both derailleurs, shifters, and seat. Biggest expenditure was a new RX100 crankset, keeping it a triple to justify the 400T. Needed new or newer, freewheel, chain, longer seatpost and stem along with wider handlebars. Was able to polish out the paint, and touch up a few chips, and had the bottom bracket and headset bearings replaced. Wheel sets were built up from parts I had accumulated over the last couple of years. Just took it on a 25 mile shake down ride 2 days ago. As previously stated, this bike is a very nice ride, the new favorite in a my humble stable. To the OP, if the frame fits, just make the rest of it as well, it's worth it, and you are at a much better starting point, then I was. Pic is just after first ride, a bit hazy that day. Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3032.jpg (94.0 KB, 272 views)
Old 04-21-17, 06:40 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks. Just wish I had an idea going in how much i was going to be spending.
Old 04-21-17, 11:55 AM
Knet

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, it's probably best not to think about that........

Actually, you have a pretty good starting point there. The handle bars are very likely too narrow, by todays standards and by your own assessment, so those likely need replaced. You can get into Microshift brifters, but you will need to upgrade your freewheel to a 7 speed cog (no big deal there). That's what I did to my 87 520, didn't even have to change the rear derailleur, but YMMV. More details here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...sh-update.html

If you are set on having a budget ( a concept I don't personally have much success with) I would start looking around on ebay or other For Sale boards, for handlebars and brifters, maybe some brakes (tricolor 600's might be nice), and a fresh cable kit and work up what it'll cost and go from there.

Last edited by Knet; 04-21-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 01:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
This will adjust your setup while keeping a traditional quill stem
- Level the saddle- $0
- buy a Nitto Dynamic 2 0-degree stem to raise the bars a bit- $30 https://www.benscycle.com/p-2502-nitt...uill-stem.aspx
- buy a Soma Hwy1 shallow drop bar for $35

This will adjust your setup while while offering a lot of easy adjustment for angle and length.
- Level the saddle- $0
- buy a veloorange threadless stem 26mm in 6deg or 17deg rise for $35 https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...less-stems.htm
- buy a veloorange threadless converter for $16 https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...m-adaptor.html
- buy a Soma Hwy1 shallow drop bar for $35

There are less expensive quill to threadless conversion setups, but the VO is light and well finished. This would get your bars the length and angle you want for more comfort.
The Soma Hwy1 bars are well made, have a shorter reach than traditional bars from the 80s, and come in widths that wont make you feel cramped.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-21-17 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 09:50 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Somehow I neglected to post pix of my 86 Trek 400 Elance:

As it sits now...

Bars are Belleri,
Brake levers and brakes are 6400 Ultegra/6400 (dual pivot in the front, single in the rear)
Wheels are Matrix 27" with Maillard 700 front and Maillard 600 sealed rear hubs.
Front derailleur is Suntour XC Pro
Rear derailleur is Suntour XC Comp
Shifters are Suntour Command Shifters
Crank is an Avocet (Ofmega) Triple
Stem is an 80mm SR
Seatpost is a SR SP-KC
Saddle is Avocet Touring II

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-22-17, 02:52 PM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Beautiful bicycle. Nice job.
Old 04-23-17, 06:43 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Sure. I do understand that a racing bike is going to have a more aggressive position than other bikes. I tried to recognize that when making the statement. While you could be correct that it is the aggressive position I am hoping different handle bars will make it more comfortable. Unless racing bikes just aren't comfortable.

it is a 60 cm and I am a long legged 6'1". My main ride is a 61cm sequoia. the barcalounger of the bicycle world.
I own this exact bike in the same size. I'm 6' 0".

It's a very good bike. You could always install butterfly handlebars. Handlebars are popular with tourists and very comfortable.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-19-18, 08:23 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Update. I think I finally got this bike where i want it. New handle bars and saddle. New tires. Much more comfortable and fun to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
400.jpg (857.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-19-18, 09:22 AM
puckett129

Bikes: 80's Treks, cargo bike, Lugged LeMond, Eddy Merckx 7-11, Ciocc resto-mod, All City MM disc, and some more

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it! If it's got a 7speed rear cluster, you could always add integrated shifting later, if you so desire.
Old 02-19-18, 09:33 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Update. I think I finally got this bike where i want it. New handle bars and saddle. New tires. Much more comfortable and fun to ride.
And it's a looker!!!

Congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.