Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 07:16 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

I did get certified on the track awhile back for the purpose of racing pursuit. But the certification process was a bit of a cluster where I certified and I really was turned off by it. There’s a possibility I might reconsider at some point, never say never. Plus getting there with LA traffic, not that fun. I’d probably make it work if I’d fallen in love with the track. But for now I’m content without track in my cycling life.

As to the mountain bike: I got a 2018 Scott Contessa Spark. Twenty two pound full-suspension mtb, 29er, 1x12. So far it’s a very sweet bike but I was keeping things under wraps a bit with the State TT on my horizon. Now I’m ready to ride the heck out of that thing.
I loved the spark when I rode it. Felt like it would make a great everyday ride that easily can win races. I ended up on a scalpel this year and love it as well, but still have memories about how fun that scott was to ride in rough and techy terrain.
Old 06-09-18, 03:55 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
GMR TT 45+, 3rd
I haven't done an uphill effort this year over 10 minutes, so I just tried to hold 270 watts and keep it under 164 bpm. That was a rough guess but it felt close to spot on. At the start I really had to force myself to settle down on the wattage, and the only mistake I made was not getting out the little ring on some minor flats / descents (I didn't want to chance dropping the chain). Ended up with 3rd out of 8. Both guys ahead of me put in all time great efforts (per Strava), and I put in something good enough to beat everyone else, which at 4.2 w/kg and wattage pr's from 20 to 40 minutes, is a result I can't be unhappy about. Also met @Hermes and his wife who were super cool.

This my first podium (even tho technically its not) so I was pretty excited. I've gotten 3rd before in races not important enough for podiums but that was also pre accident. Next step is to get on the top step.
Old 06-09-18, 04:28 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
nice ride FF.
Old 06-09-18, 05:30 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Congrats @furiousferret!
Old 06-09-18, 08:45 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
@furiousferret Way to go making the podium in the GMR and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I knocked 3 minutes off my last GMR time in 2013. We had perfect conditions for the race with temps in the low 70s and very little wind.

Here is a pic of some of the masters racers including me (4th from left). Photo Carl Nielsen From left to right - 1st in the M55, (1st in M45), (2nd in M55), (2nd M65), and (4th in M55).

Old 06-09-18, 09:40 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Fun fast racing today.

Dash for Cash
$10 prime every lap but I didn't get any cuz I never win primes.

2/3 race was 50 minutes and 27.5 mph. Made a go for it mid race but a few bridged up and sat around looking at each other. Teammate went with one other with 15 minutes to go, 2 more bridged then one more. They dangled barely 10 or 15 seconds for a while. I was gonna counter and try and go solo when they got caught, but they didn't get caught til 2 to go and the pace was pretty high. Last lap was sketchy and chaotic. Nobody seemed to know where to be and when to go. I ended up getting caught behind some chaos near the finish and ended 13th of 30-something.

1/2 race had 50 guys, including 9 of us. 2 of us had done the 2/3 race. The 2/3 race wasn't too hard and I felt ok in the 1/2s but the snap had gone. Halfway through I start moving forward still feeling good. Break is away I thought one of us and a few others. Followed some moves but mostly stayed sheltered yet in position. 3 others bridged the gap and I/we missed it. A bit later I ask if we should chase and I learn that we actually had 3 guys up there! Unfortunately another team laid down the watts and chased them down over a lap or 2 at 30-something mph. Last 4 laps also averaged 30 and tho I felt ok I didn't have the snap to get far up. Matt led out teammate for the win and I scuttled in 22nd best I could do at that point.

That was possibly the fastest race I've done at 28.5 mph average for 70 minutes. Didn't feel quite that fast in the pack but otoh there was still no way I would attempt to get in a break at that pace.

The cat 2 who has been winning everything lately and is marked by everyone bragged about his 379 watt NP for the race. Daaaamn.

236 TSS

Fun ride tomorrow.
Old 06-09-18, 09:41 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Congrats @Hermes. Three minutes is amazing.
Old 06-09-18, 11:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
GMR TT 45+, 3rd
I haven't done an uphill effort this year over 10 minutes, so I just tried to hold 270 watts and keep it under 164 bpm. That was a rough guess but it felt close to spot on. At the start I really had to force myself to settle down on the wattage, and the only mistake I made was not getting out the little ring on some minor flats / descents (I didn't want to chance dropping the chain). Ended up with 3rd out of 8. Both guys ahead of me put in all time great efforts (per Strava), and I put in something good enough to beat everyone else, which at 4.2 w/kg and wattage pr's from 20 to 40 minutes, is a result I can't be unhappy about. Also met @Hermes and his wife who were super cool.

This my first podium (even tho technically its not) so I was pretty excited. I've gotten 3rd before in races not important enough for podiums but that was also pre accident. Next step is to get on the top step.
Nice!
Old 06-09-18, 11:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Also did Dash For Cash 45+3/4

Sat in, resisted the temptation to go for primes. With a couple laps to go there were 2 guys off the front with about a 15s gap. Not huge, but one team (Terun) did a good job of sitting on the front and setting a false tempo and no one else did much to chase. I was hoping we’d catch them because I was looking for a field sprint.

With 1 1/2 to go there was a crash on the backside. Didn’t realize how bad it was but instead of ringing the bell, they neutralized the race. Apparently it was bad: fire truck, backboard, trip to the hospital. After awhile they brought us all back to the line and the officials asked if we wanted to call it, or restart with 3 to go. Consensus was to restart.

They lined up the breakaway about 100 m up the road and blew the whistle. Poor guys got screwed because they got caught immediately. I was just focused on staying near the front 5 and then hope for the best. Still sitting okay on the bell lap and 150m before the final corner, my teammate comes flying up the inside, I hop on his wheel and he takes me through the last corner. Long sprint but I just hoped the speed would hold. Got beaten to the line, but turned out to be a 35-yo, and I was 1st 45.

Old 06-09-18, 11:51 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Nice work @furiousferret & @caloso!

my race videos
Old 06-10-18, 12:01 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Dash for Cash Pro 1/2. This race used to be a big-ish local race, but last year barely 20 in our field so we didn't get the $10 hot-laps this race is known for.

This year we had about 50! So much for road racing dying..

Our plan was to generally ignore the hot-laps and go for the win. WE WON.

We had guys otf at pretty much every point in the race. This race has almost always ended with a break that includes the sprinters/fastest guys, and it almost happened again this year.

45 mins in to the 75 minute race I was in a break with two of the sprinters we were marking, a TT guy, and a teammate. I generally sat on, figuring if the break stuck I'd sprint, if it came back our sprinter would be rested. But after a few laps our sprinter was towed up to the the break.

At that point there were 7-8 of us in the break, with three from my team. The dynamics of the break weren't great, a lot of games being played and guys taking each other off the back.

There were confusing points where our break would split up, and we dropped teammates (bad) and/or sprinters we wanted to beat (good). One of the sprinters we wanted to beat got dropped but went back to the pack, he and his team chased us down with two to go.

When we got caught I sat up, the field passed me suuuuper fast. Like twice the speed. I re-integrated and figured my race was over. But after a few seconds I got a second wind, moved up and found our sprinter, led him out to the last corner, he won. Perfecto!

Winning is fun, but a close 2nd is getting close-to-last while directly helping your team win.

my race videos
Old 06-10-18, 08:28 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I "raced" yesterday. Missed my clip in like 90 times. Guy behind me didnt and bumped into me. Went from the front row to the end. Couldn't move up, got dropped, rode around by myself, 21st of 24. ****.

If I could have just one decent race I would be happy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1627484330/overview
Old 06-10-18, 02:16 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Nice job FF, Caloso, and Matt.

Hang in there Wylde.
Old 06-10-18, 02:36 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Congrats @caloso and great team racing @mattm!
Old 06-10-18, 05:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
GMR TT 45+, 3rd

well done @furiousferret!
Old 06-10-18, 05:50 PM
jacksonhandy

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Healthy Newton, First Crit as a 4. Feeling good, 6 laps to go, no free laps after 8 to go. Flat front. Lap back. Yay.

Old 06-11-18, 08:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Raced the individual 2k pursuit at the LAVRA time trial series at Velo Sports Center in Carson, CA on the 250 meter wooden track. This was the first pursuit I have done in over a year coming off of a sprint season last year and mostly hill climbing and endurance work lately.

I hit my goal and it was a good baseline upon which to build. I was wondering how my legs would feel doing high cadence and high power after racing the GMR hill climb the day before. My legs felt amazing and the climb did not seem to make any difference other than offer a massive leg opener.
Old 06-11-18, 08:44 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Looks like that sprint training paid off @caloso, great job!
Old 06-11-18, 09:29 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
When we got caught I sat up, the field passed me suuuuper fast. Like twice the speed. I re-integrated and figured my race was over. But after a few seconds I got a second wind, moved up and found our sprinter, led him out to the last corner, he won. Perfecto!

Winning is fun, but a close 2nd is getting close-to-last while directly helping your team win.
first race I've regretted missing in a while. Where's the video!
Old 06-11-18, 09:46 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Dang, nice job everyone! 33-crew crushing it!
Old 06-11-18, 12:07 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Man, I am mentally checked out at the moment. I dropped out of yesterday's race because I didn't feel like playing. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't care one way or the other and am finding it hard to focus. I feel like it's related to non-bike life? How do y'all get out of these sorts of funks?
Old 06-11-18, 12:11 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Man, I am mentally checked out at the moment. I dropped out of yesterday's race because I didn't feel like playing. It's not that I don't like it, I just don't care one way or the other and am finding it hard to focus. I feel like it's related to non-bike life? How do y'all get out of these sorts of funks?
dude. that race was insane.
Old 06-11-18, 12:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It wasn't the difficulty though, normally I'd suck it up and keep pedaling hard. My head's just kinda weirdly foggy right now and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it. I still really like riding my bike so I'm not thinking it is burnout, but I'm not getting the usual butterflies I get when thinking about races, or well, I guess most things. Bikes would be easier without the real life part between races!
Old 06-11-18, 12:26 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
TKP, I know that feeling. I've been there. I'm kind of there now. I don't really know how to snap out of it though. For awhile, I found track racing was a great motivation. It was new and different, and I was getting those butterflies you mention. Then I decided to focus on it and dedicate my training. Now, I'm kind of back in that funk.
Old 06-11-18, 12:27 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah it's difficult to pedal hard if your head isn't in the game. I had a mental breakdown at this race a few years back. it happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.