Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

"I have a problem with cyclists"

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

"I have a problem with cyclists"

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 02:50 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If you haven't already, you're likely to get a survey to fill out Real Soon Now on how you liked your treatment. If you can remember Ms. Problem's name, calling her out and giving the hospital a low rating because of her attitude is likely to get you some attention. Just don't ever go where she's working for the rest of your life...
I don't try to get people fired - for anything - but that sort of thing shouldn't happen. I've already talked to some kind of administrator, who wanted feedback before I was discharged, and I didn't mention it.

This is more of a warning to all of the rest of you, even doctors or ex-registered nurses, that this attitude may be lurking beneath the surface. For every nurse or medical tech confident enough to voice that bizarre prejudice, there are likely many more who feel that way but wouldn't dream of telling you. Pre-qualify ER's if you can, otherwise maybe just tell them you were mountain biking or something.
Old 06-20-19, 03:52 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't try to get people fired - for anything - but that sort of thing shouldn't happen. I've already talked to some kind of administrator, who wanted feedback before I was discharged, and I didn't mention it.

This is more of a warning to all of the rest of you, even doctors or ex-registered nurses, that this attitude may be lurking beneath the surface. For every nurse or medical tech confident enough to voice that bizarre prejudice, there are likely many more who feel that way but wouldn't dream of telling you. Pre-qualify ER's if you can, otherwise maybe just tell them you were mountain biking or something.
I'm not in favor of getting people fired either, but if you don't give their bosses/administrators/supervisors some feedback, they can't counsel their people and correct or influence future behavior.

I would hope that, if I ever need emergency medical care in your area, I don't have to ask the ambulance driver to wait while I check out yelp for ER ratings.
Old 06-27-19, 11:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10151 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
There is a large and growing literature on the effect of race, gender, etc on the type and quality of care people receive from the health care system and it's full of bad news. This is a category case of bias and the care you got could very well have been affected negatively.

For the lawyer-up faction, an action for medical negligence requires a violation of the standard of care and causation of damages. If those were present, the tech's remark might be relevant. If not, forget it.
Old 09-15-19, 09:30 PM
rojrdojr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No choice but to chalk it up to 'who knows?'. I had a similar incident with a VA while travelling in CA. Rolled in with multiple breaks on the tib, fib, ankle...and VA, service-connected ID. Refused to see me for a few hours... then sent me to my motorhome 80 miles away (alone) for 5 days awaiting surgery. Couldn't even use the bathroom in that thing or keep my foot from flopping about. The eventual surgery went great with Loma Linda docs. I was pissed for a year or so... for me it was my motorcycle accident that set them off. But maybe they were just idiots every other day of the week as well. Who knows?