Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Specialized Diverge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 06:06 AM
Bigapl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Specialized Diverge

I just got a new Diverge with future shock and there’s 3 spacers installed on the stem and I want to drop the bars / stack height, some can these be removed and readjust the top plate? The manual says 0-15mm spacers can be installed but I’m not sure what’s the starting point if factory is 15mm then i can only add more or is 0mm factory and i then can remove all 3 if needed?
Thanks

Last edited by Bigapl; 07-21-19 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 06:40 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
For AL steerers you can locate any spacers either above or below the stem, note that the steerer's top edge/end needs to be above the stem's upper pinch bolt but below the stem's top edge so that the top cap doesn't bottom out on the steerer.

For carbon steerers a 5mm spacer is generally suggested to remain above the stem, to better prevent the carbon steerer from cracking under the compressive force the stem's clamping produces.

For bar heights not allowed with the current stem, WRT the above guide lines, a different stem or bars would be needed.

Generally the number/length of spacers is mentioned when the steerer is yet to be cut down, as in dealt with by whoever assembles the bike. Since most all bike brands sold through the LBS channel require the bike to be assembled by one of their LBS dealers this aspect likely doesn't apply to your situation, as the steerer will have already been sized by the dealer before you leave with the bike. Andy
Old 07-21-19, 06:42 AM
Bigapl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I’ve done that before but the future shock is new to me.
Likes For Bigapl:
Old 08-01-19, 05:20 AM
Bigapl

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well with some digging I found the service manual and dropped 15mm stack and much better wasn’t very hard just needed a torque wrench and allen sockets!