Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 11 Spd Quick Link PIA

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 12:59 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

Today I put a new 11 speed chain on my bike and normally I use a Wippermann Connnex quick link. Since it was the 2 chain I have used for the wippermann I decided to try the Shimano Quick link. What a pain in the arse. It is easier to do a standard pin. I don't have the tool that is suppose to be used for it but I have lots of tools used needle nose pliers to try and pull apart the opposing links, I tugged and said this is nuts. So I going to simply buy another Wippermann Connex they are not cheap but 50 times easier to use and can be reused. Shimano really has screwed this up. A quick link that is not quick. \

Are all the other quick links like this and is anything as good as Wipperman for less coin?
Old 07-23-19, 01:02 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I had a bad experience with a Taya 9 speed chain recently. My Park Tools quick link pliers didn’t free it up so I tried some lateral pressure with a screwdriver & ended up destroying one whole link of chain.
Old 07-23-19, 01:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
getting the park quick link tool has been a big help...... but I really want the shimano as it has a way to over the pivot point...so that whether your are removing or installing you are always closing the grips. but it is expensive

Old 07-23-19, 01:43 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
getting the park quick link tool has been a big help...... but I really want the shimano as it has a way to over the pivot point...so that whether your are removing or installing you are always closing the grips. but it is expensive
Yes it is and I can buy a Wipperman for $25 and I used it for 2 chains and for me that is about 10,000 miles I am super easy on chains get lots of mileage. I would bet I could keep using the wippermann but no sense taking a chance. The Shimano tool is $43 and not worth it at that price unless I was going through chains every 2-3000 miles. I get more mileage out of chains than anyone I know. Could be I live in the flatlands of Illinois and not a huge masher, I don't purposely ride in the rain and keep chain clean. I take it off every 800 miles or so and dunk in OMS. That cleans it well and really I get 6000 miles with 1/16 inch stretch tops.
Old 07-23-19, 01:58 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Master link pliers are maybe $15 max. I've seen them for $7. It makes Shimano, KMC and SRAM master links super easy.

I got the tool two years ago but should have bought it two decades ago. You won't regret it.

Use a piece of coat hanger for a hands-free assist, shown below when breaking the chain but same idea.

Old 07-23-19, 05:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
The Shimano instructions describe installation with a tool. No mention of doing it w/o. Not surprised you had difficulty. The Park tool is inexpensive.
Old 07-23-19, 06:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
I just installed one.

Read this somewhere, you roll the chain with the not-yet-snapped shut link so the link is on the top between the cassette and crank, idea being you press the brakes, stand on the pedal to attempt to roll the bike forward, the pressure on the chain closes the link.

Worked like a charm.
Old 07-23-19, 07:09 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
I just installed one.

Read this somewhere, you roll the chain with the not-yet-snapped shut link so the link is on the top between the cassette and crank, idea being you press the brakes, stand on the pedal to attempt to roll the bike forward, the pressure on the chain closes the link.

Worked like a charm.
Yup, installing should be easy....I was a bonehead once and had the link on the bottom section of chain...obviously stepping on the pedal had no effect ...LOLOL

Opening a quick link doesn't require a tool. put the link at 3:00 on the crankset. Pull an extra link, so 1 end of the link points forward like this: >

Then just give a little tap on the point, which should force it open.
It's faster than the time it takes to find the tool.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-26-19, 06:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I use a standard pliers to open quick links from Sram and KMC. No special tool needed. Never worked with a Shimano quick link.
Old 07-26-19, 06:31 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I had a bad experience with a Taya 9 speed chain recently. My Park Tools quick link pliers didn’t free it up so I tried some lateral pressure with a screwdriver & ended up destroying one whole link of chain.
Taya quick links AKA Sigma ,are actually pretty good, and require no tools. They are opened by side flexing the chain at the connecting link until the pin can slide out of the widened part of the hole. If it is the original link that came on the chain, only one pin will disconnect. If is a mending link the whole plate can come off.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 07-26-19 at 06:34 PM.