Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mistake buying 2016 Leader 721?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Mistake buying 2016 Leader 721?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 10:24 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Can't speak for the 721, but I've got a 725 and I absolutely love it. Was a self build though and using a discontinued older leader fork as well. As I'm sure you've noticed this section of the site is definitely snarky, but it's out of love from what I can tell. Also, where are the pictures and have you ridden it yet?
Old 12-08-16, 10:56 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Also, once you've had a chance to actually ride it you need to post in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...-love-111.html

Note that there's a question pending there regarding the new 721.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-08-16, 07:53 PM
QueensNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Also, once you've had a chance to actually ride it you need to post in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...-love-111.html

Note that there's a question pending there regarding the new 721.
Will do .

Thanks everyone for all the input, it was greatly appreciated. I received the bike Thursday. It was packaged nice and everything was in order.

There's a small but noticeable chip in the frame on the top tube, but I don't really care (I'll be adding many more myself)

I assembled it myself on Friday but haven't torqued anything, I just put it together because I was dying to see it. I'll also have to flip it off the freewheel.

The one negative is the "LEADER" decals come seperate and I applied them properly (cleaned the surface etc and was very careful. Within a day the edges of alot of the letters were peeling and will only stick for a few minutes if you push them back down.

Overall I am happy with the quality. I haven't ridden it yet because I've been super busy and it was pouring rain the one night I had free time. Here's a crappy picture I took real quick after the assembly. If anyone is interested I'll be taking and posting more over the weekend. This photo doesn't really do the bike justice, the paint is an awesome bright orange- which might not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it and it should help me not get ran over by cabs here.

https://i.imgur.com/NwIl8BS.jpg
Old 12-08-16, 07:54 PM
QueensNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the input, it was greatly appreciated. I received the bike Thursday. It was packaged nice and everything was in order.

There's a small but noticeable chip in the frame on the top tube, but I don't really care (I'll be adding many more myself)

I assembled it myself on Friday but haven't torqued anything, I just put it together because I was dying to see it. I'll also have to flip it off the freewheel.

The one negative is the "LEADER" decals come seperate and I applied them properly (cleaned the surface etc and was very careful. Within a day the edges of alot of the letters were peeling and will only stick for a few minutes if you push them back down.

Overall I am happy with the quality. I haven't ridden it yet because I've been super busy and it was pouring rain the one night I had free time. Here's a crappy picture I took real quick after the assembly. If anyone is interested I'll be taking and posting more over the weekend. This photo doesn't really do the bike justice, the paint is an awesome bright orange- which might not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it and it should help me not get ran over by cabs here.

Old 12-08-16, 08:07 PM
QueensNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I assembled it on Friday but haven't torqued anything, I just put it together because I was dying to see it. I'll also have to flip it off the freewheel.

The one negative is the "LEADER" decals come seperate and I applied them properly (cleaned the surface etc and was very careful) Within a day the edges of alot of the letters were peeling and will only stick for a few minutes if you push them back down.

Last edited by QueensNYC; 12-08-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 08:09 PM
QueensNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-08-16, 08:12 PM
QueensNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it is. More to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (96.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-08-16, 09:20 PM
QueensNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, another question. The front and rear wheel both sway like almost an 1/8th of an inch in either direction when spinning. Is it normal for cheap wheels to be this far out of true? It's annoying because I like my brake levers to be nice and touchy but I have to leave the pads far apart so the wheels don't rub them when not braking. Is there a way to remedy this besides having the wheels trued?
Old 12-08-16, 09:27 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
I've received wheels that were out of true to a similar extent before. Truing them yourself is fairly easy if you have a bit of free time, spoke wrenches, and a light touch. If not, any bike shop will gladly take your money (probably not much) and do it for you.
Old 12-09-16, 10:48 AM
QueensNYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I've received wheels that were out of true to a similar extent before. Truing them yourself is fairly easy if you have a bit of free time, spoke wrenches, and a light touch. If not, any bike shop will gladly take your money (probably not much) and do it for you.
Should a properly true wheel have any noticeable movement side to side?

Also, how long can I expect a wheel to stay true on city streets?
Old 12-09-16, 11:03 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by QueensNYC

No, it should be true. Straight. No weaving or wobbling. None. No hop, up and down either.

If the wheel is correctly built, properly tensioned, no spoke wind up, and stress relieved, it should stay true indefinitely.

You might want to inspect the bearing adjustment to make sure no wobble is being caused by loose bearings.
Old 12-09-16, 11:21 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It's pretty common to find that machine-built wheels need to be trued and tensioned before riding on them. If they are not properly tensioned, the more you ride on them, the worse they will get.

Like asking "How long will my new shoes last?", there's no real answer to that.
Old 12-09-16, 12:09 PM
amplificus
Rocket Scientist

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I don't want a bunch of smug people looking at me like I'm on a pure fix.
So my pure fix isn't a dope bike?
Old 12-09-16, 12:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Here it is. More to come
Looks nice. I'd ride the crap out of that thing.

Take the brakes off and you can run it at the Kessena Velodrome.