Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

So, I had a stroke. Now what?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

So, I had a stroke. Now what?

Old 05-02-19, 07:19 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
not sure it's transferable but it looks like your bike handle is leaning on a poison ivy vine
Old 05-07-19, 07:40 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
So after a visit with a Cardiologist, (yes! A road biker!) he thinks my stroke was caused either by Afib or something called a PFO--which is basically a hole between the ventricles that would have let, say, a small clot from the leg make it to my brain, rather than dissolving in the lungs.

For the Afib, I'm getting a little doohicky called a LinQ implanted that monitors my heart and uploads to a mother ship at night; for the possible PFO, a trans-esophageal echo (TEE) is being done first week of May. In the overall scheme of things, I think I'd rather it be the PFO, because it's repairable. If it's Afib, I'll have to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life, and at risk of a heart attack for all the Afib reasons.

Overall, I seem to have recovered well from the stroke, but as @canklecat says above, I'm hyper-vigilant about my heart and brain, worrying that I could have another stroke.

One upside is the Cardiologist told me to go ride as normal; the downside is when I did, I got light-headed, probably from the BP meds. :-/

Lordy, getting old sure does suck sometimes!
Don't feel that the AFIB is entirely medication only, the ablative and cry-ablative therapies have come a long way. So much is being uncovered about AFIB, VFIB and the other anomalies of the rhythm now. I am dealing with AFIB right now, actually right at this minute dammit, and its a balancing act with medication(s,) cycling distance/intensity, possible ablation therapy, cardioversion, etc.

Glad that you found a Cardiologist that understands cyclists, they are hard to come by. Mine told me to keep cycling, don't change anything yet, I believe I'll trust him. I must have read and re-read, "Haywire Heart", half a dozen times now, if you don't have a copy of it yet, get one.

Bill

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-07-19, 08:12 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
It's a while since #eatonkd posted here with an update to his well-being/activity. How are things going, if I can ask?
Old 07-26-19, 09:08 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It's a while since #eatonkd posted here with an update to his well-being/activity. How are things going, if I can ask?
Update is due: As of this past Wednesday, July 24, I had my much-waited-for surgical procedure to remedy the PFO in my heart. Finally. Much Red Tape went into the implementation of this event (It seems like the US has incredible healthcare, as long as you never actually NEED it. But that's a whole nuther rant...). I seem to be recovering well. All healing is progressing as textbook. I've been placed on a Research list to follow my progress for the next full year, which is kinda cool I guess. It'll mean a few more visits for EKG's and such along with my own personal caseworker, whoopie. Still, apparently there are 60 people in the US and 1200 worldwide "chosen" to be monitored, so there's that bit of "celebrity status". You guys reading this may still call me Doug...

Take precious care gang, go for a ride.

Last edited by eatontkd; 07-27-19 at 06:40 AM.
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 07-29-19, 10:59 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
Update is due: As of this past Wednesday, July 24, I had my much-waited-for surgical procedure to remedy the PFO in my heart. Finally. Much Red Tape went into the implementation of this event (It seems like the US has incredible healthcare, as long as you never actually NEED it. But that's a whole nuther rant...). I seem to be recovering well. All healing is progressing as textbook. I've been placed on a Research list to follow my progress for the next full year, which is kinda cool I guess. It'll mean a few more visits for EKG's and such along with my own personal caseworker, whoopie. Still, apparently there are 60 people in the US and 1200 worldwide "chosen" to be monitored, so there's that bit of "celebrity status". You guys reading this may still call me Doug...

Take precious care gang, go for a ride.
Glad you got the PFO taken care of. I'm no doc, but I can't help thinking that was part of the problem and will be part of the solution.

The "getting monitored" stuff is good stuff. That means they're gonna really pay attention to you. I've participated in some cardiac clinical trials, and they love having me, as my genes aren't the best, but I'm essentially three sigma in terms of exercise.

You have it handled as best you can. Now go out there and have some fun.

Old 07-29-19, 11:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I'll second @Biker395 on the "getting monitored" benefits. Frequency depends on the study, of course. My regimen post-MI was one month, 90 days later, six months, and then annually on or around the anniversary of my MI. Insurance picked that up (and, grudgingly, continues to cover some of it). Monthly or quarterly checkups, for free, is a nice fringe benefit.
Old 01-24-20, 01:50 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I'm in rehab niowrecovering from a recent stroke.I have left side weakness.
Old 01-24-20, 01:51 PM
NomarsGirl

I can't even imagine riding.They won't even let me walk to the bathroom alone
Old 01-24-20, 02:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by nomarsgirl
i'm in rehab niowrecovering from a recent stroke.i have left side weakness.
oh dear! assuming it's not related to the collar bone?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-25-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 09:21 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Hey NomarsGirl, how's the progress? My experience with stroke was there is a slow improvement with time for about one year after the event. Today, Feb 4th, is my 60th birthday. I'm just glad and fortunate to celebrate!
Old 02-04-20, 11:48 AM
NomarsGirl

Hey NomarsGirl, how's the progress? My experience with stroke was there is a slow improvement with time for about one year after the event. Today, Feb 4th, is my 60th birthday. I'm just glad and fortunate to celebrate!
I'm home from rehab th4 food i much bettrt here, but I'm not eating enough. Th44ey told me i walk like a champion. I said which Champion / Tedy Bruschi?I've been told my goal to ride the pan zMass Challenge is unrealistic left neglect is my biggest issue now. I'M BARELY AWARE OF ANYTHING ON MY LEFT.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 02-04-20, 11:56 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I've been told my goal to ride the pan Mass Challenge is unrealistic
I might give the experts some credit; perhaps riding the PMC is unrealistic. This year.

Next year? a lot can happen in 18 months. Trying to do more seems to be what differentiates people who succeed at rehab from unfortunate events from those who don't succeed. Adjust your expectations (a wee bit) and keep on pushing!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-04-20, 12:22 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Just keep moving ahead Nomars Girl. Take it from an old guy that there are plenty of situations in life where no amount of money, nor luck nor good looks will get you through but putting one foot in front of the other will. I was once sailing across the Atlantic from Plymouth, England to Newport, Rhode Island and ran into the typical Atlantic High pressure system in mid summer with barely a breadth of wind with 1000 miles yet to go. Imagine looking around with the sea as flat as a pancake and the boat barely making a ripple through the water. The only available choice, aside from slitting ones wrists, was to be alert to take advantage of any stray puff of breeze. I eventually did make the destination and had a great time in Newport for several weeks. So you hang on Girl. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in sheer persistence.
Likes For berner:
Old 02-04-20, 12:37 PM
eatontkd

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Next year? a lot can happen in 18 months. Trying to do more seems to be what differentiates people who succeed at rehab from unfortunate events from those who don't succeed. Adjust your expectations (a wee bit) and keep on pushing!
This. Make this your mantra of sorts. Nobodies stroke experience is the same, but how we take it on from the event has a large amount to do with how we deal, adapt, and to some extent, recover. Don't give up hope; it takes awhile for the brain to "rewire" but it is an amazing organ and has more potential than we even typically tap into. Staying positive and desiring life helps.
Keep us posted dear one. Doug
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 02-04-20, 03:14 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

NomarsGirl positive attitude will make a big difference in a recovery. And setting a goal to keep you motivated is a good step in getting on track. Stay strong and keep putting one foot in front of the other, day by day. We'lll all be here in your corner pulling for you. Please keep us updated and if you reach a point where you just need to vent, we can listen well too.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-05-20 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 02-04-20, 05:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

are you allowed a stationary bike?
Old 02-04-20, 07:06 PM
NomarsGirl

Originally Posted by Biker395
My erstwhile surfing buddy and best friend had a series of small strokes some time ago. He had strange symptoms including seeing auras around things and the like, and some paralysis. He sought medical attention promptly, but no one apparently thought it was a stroke. It wasn't until he had a pre-op physical that the hole in his heart was discovered. Apparently, we're all born with that to allow blood to bypass our lungs (not used in the womb), and for most of us, that hole closes with time. For some it doesn't, and some blood flow to the lungs is bypassed, along with one of its functions ... filtering small blood clots.

So my only thought is make sure your docs stay on it to try to find out the cause until they've exhausted all reasonable possibilities.

It's all true ... none of us are spring chickens, and we're no getting any younger. We adapt, and hopefully, we prosper. Good luck to you!
turns out I have the hole in my heart sothe blood clot was able to score on an empty net. I didn't even know I was playing hockey.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 02-05-20, 05:08 AM
rumrunn6

My 64 year old brother is having mitro valve repair surgery in a cpl weeks they’ll also repair another valve & he mentioned something about another “hole” that will be repaired
Old 02-05-20, 09:34 AM
eatontkd

turns out I have the hole in my heart sothe blood clot was able to score on an empty net. I didn't even know I was playing hockey.
Hey, there's old soccer players here too!!
Actually, that's some good news. It's an easy procedure called a PFO (I don't remember what that stands for...) I have/had the same condition and had my heart corrected the end of last July. Has your Doctor mentioned that yet?
Likes For eatontkd:
Old 02-05-20, 11:17 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
I'm home from rehab th4 food i much bettrt here, but I'm not eating enough. Th44ey told me i walk like a champion. I said which Champion / Tedy Bruschi?I've been told my goal to ride the pan zMass Challenge is unrealistic left neglect is my biggest issue now. I'M BARELY AWARE OF ANYTHING ON MY LEFT.
It looks like we're both fumbling with keyboards and using speech to text. Forget the bike ride challenge for now, your challenge is to improve as much in as quickly as possible. It sounds like you are in good hands at the rehab center?

It's good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!

Likes For Biker395:
Old 02-05-20, 12:04 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I've been told my goal to ride the pan zMass Challenge is unrealistic ...
Haven't had a stroke, but I had to deal with a couple years' worth of recovery from a bad muscle injury, decades ago. Set my sights on doing everything I once did, at as nearly equivalently and high-quality as I could do (as compared to previously). Made it.

Though I can't speak for anyone else, obviously, for me it was vital to have a serious and challenging goal to shoot for. Helped me to remain focused, to work harder than I've ever worked ... and, in the end, to successfully surmount the problem. Wasn't quite as fast or powerful (running, cycling, swimming), after recovery, but it wasn't much off the mark.

Very satisfying. And probably gave me back a couple of years based on that improved well-being and strength, as compared to where I might be had I failed to focus that hard and achieve the recovery I did.

Setting a goal, even if seemingly unrealistic at this point, might well make the difference between the level of hard work and determination to get there versus giving up somewhere along the way. It's sometimes astounding just how much a person can accomplish in situations where most everyone says you can't do it.

Of course, even if you end up with having some limitations, here and there, you might be capable of doing the bike challenge by tweaking some of the details. Perhaps not this summer, but there's always next summer. For example, you might change some of the details of your participation. Say, by changing the two-wheeled bike to a three-wheeler, or doing it on a tandem with a cycling buddy you trust. Might well be able to do it, that way, even though it won't be quite the same as a normal-and-customary bike ride/race for you.

Good luck on the recovery. It's never easy, when the damage is serious or severe. It might not even be achievable. But given enough determination and focus, you might be surprised how much you improve.

I wish you well.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 02-05-20, 03:53 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Actually, that's some good news. It's an easy procedure called a PFO (I don't remember what that stands for...) I have/had the same condition and had my heart corrected the end of last July. Has your Doctor mentioned that yet?
PFO . Patent Foramen Ovale here you go, Some good information here.

I was checked for this prior to my cryo-ablation cardiac surgery for AFib last October, fortunately I didn't have this I had gone through enough ECG, for flight physicals, back in the day. Best wishes to NomarsGirl on beating these issues.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-05-20 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 02-07-20, 11:49 AM
NomarsGirl

I"m seeing thr cardiologist in a couple of weeks. e will deide wht, if nything needs to be done.My hudbanf "Dr. Google looked up the procedure and said it would be like patching hole in my bike tire. I hope it doesn't involve sandpaper or glue.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 02-07-20, 12:03 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
My wife had a hole in her heart and they put something like a small umbrella in the hole . Once opened it heals a skin over it and that’s about it. She had that done about 14 years ago and no problems. Good luck.
Old 02-08-20, 04:58 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
To NomarsGirl, seems I'm "late to the party". But want you to know my wife and I are sending good mojo for a quick and speedy recovery. Hope all works out and you get back to feeling like yourself asap.
Likes For freeranger:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.