Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Who’s riding AL frame bikes these days?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Who’s riding AL frame bikes these days?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 04:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Gasp, my cross/gravel bike is a canti Trek Crockett in alum.

I think some people confuse cheap greenway aluminum bikes with a real nice one and assume they must have carbon.
Old 07-23-19, 04:58 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The CAAD 13 looks like Cannondale decided to braze on disc brake tabs on a GT GTS road frame.
Old 07-23-19, 05:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
I went from a rimbrake carbon Tarmac Expert to a disc brake Emonda ALR frame+custom build. I couldn't be happier and the ride quality is essentially the same (it helps when you also run carbon wheels, seatpost, handlebar, and stem).

Frankly, I couldn't recommend alloy more.
That's a really nice looking bike. Someone stole your head tube though!
Old 07-23-19, 08:43 PM
dkoernert

Bikes: 1999 Klein Quantum Race

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My daily ride is still a Chehalis made Klein Quantum Race. I still haven't found a frame I like better. I upgraded to a bit newer ultegra group, and put some carbon clinchers on it.
Old 07-24-19, 12:23 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
jfranci3, I am aware that the allez sprint is an extremely stiff bike. Hydroforming doesn't make an aluminum bike feel like a carbon bike. The allez sprint uses hydroformed tubes. Yes, the seatpost is from a Venge, and not designed with compliance in mind. It's a race bike designed for perfect roads. I like it. It serves its purpose well. It handles quite well. The only time I dislike it is when I'm not on ideal pavement. That's where I'm hoping my tubeless wheel setup helps out a bit.
Old 07-24-19, 09:44 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
I enjoyed riding my 2011 Secteur, made of hydroformed tubing. It had a carbon fork and seat post. Those items, plus lower tire pressure made for a pretty comfy ride, as I recall. In my experience, it was comparable to the carbon Roubaix of that era, just heavier. I think it would be great to have a lightweight AL frame for climbing. I have a Cannondale R900 that's pretty light, but it's butt ugly maroon paint is a put-off. I really should weigh it sometime.
Old 07-24-19, 02:42 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
jfranci3, I am aware that the allez sprint is an extremely stiff bike. Hydroforming doesn't make an aluminum bike feel like a carbon bike. The allez sprint uses hydroformed tubes. Yes, the seatpost is from a Venge, and not designed with compliance in mind. It's a race bike designed for perfect roads. I like it. It serves its purpose well. It handles quite well. The only time I dislike it is when I'm not on ideal pavement. That's where I'm hoping my tubeless wheel setup helps out a bit.
Hydroforming allows for a lot more design features/characteristics that cannot be done with round tubes prior. The Allez Sprint uses the fancy hydroformed tubes for evil (nearly useless) aero shaped tubes rather than good compliant tubes. You can also make a terrible riding carbon bike, it's call the Venge. My Trek CX bike had a terrible ride on road tires, and it had hydroformed tubes too - a seat post and bar change fixed it.

Putting a fat rear tire and some flexy aero bars on your Allez Sprint will take the edge off and make it faster.
Old 07-24-19, 03:35 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by jfranci3
You can also make a terrible riding carbon bike, it's call the Venge. My Trek CX bike had a terrible ride on road tires, and it had hydroformed tubes too - a seat post and bar change fixed it.

Putting a fat rear tire and some flexy aero bars on your Allez Sprint will take the edge off and make it faster.
The Venge and Allez Sprint are designed with a purpose in mind, specifically to go fast in sprints. They are good at what they are designed for. As an all purpose, exercise/climbing bike it's not very good.

I just spoon'd on my new UST wheels/tires. I added a Specialized carbon handle bar as well. I noticed a very slight difference in vibration at the bars. I have yet to ride on the tubeless tire setup, but I will report back when I do. I expect the tires to make the largest diffference- as I can, and will, run lower pressures. What carbon bars do you speak of that are designed with compliance in mind? I think it's just an inherent quality of carbon to resonate at a different frequency than aluminum and that's why there is a very slight, but noticeable, difference between the two.
Old 07-25-19, 10:52 PM
Princess_Allez

Holy cow...I had no idea a set of cf tubeless rims could have such an effect. I've only been riding 6 months now, but going from Roval slx24 w/gp4ks2 to Mavic Cosmic Carbon UST w/Yksion Pro is like night and day difference. It solved all the aspects of my bike being too firm over rough chip seal. It's even better over smooth pavement. It's like I'm in love with the bike, and I never was before.

The bearings roll smoother with less rolling resistance. It even corners better. There's less tire squat thru a corner. I'm running max suggested pressure (87psi/19mm internal width). What an epiphany tubeless tires are! I'm completely sold.
Old 07-27-19, 08:47 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I own 2 CAAD10 105s 56cm
Old 07-27-19, 06:33 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Holy cow...I had no idea a set of cf tubeless rims could have such an effect. I've only been riding 6 months now, but going from Roval slx24 w/gp4ks2 to Mavic Cosmic Carbon UST w/Yksion Pro is like night and day difference. It solved all the aspects of my bike being too firm over rough chip seal. It's even better over smooth pavement. It's like I'm in love with the bike, and I never was before.

The bearings roll smoother with less rolling resistance. It even corners better. There's less tire squat thru a corner. I'm running max suggested pressure (87psi/19mm internal width). What an epiphany tubeless tires are! I'm completely sold.
Pretty much my experience. Not what I was expecting. It's made me want to ride more.
Old 07-27-19, 08:29 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Got two, love them both

The old Crit racer is faster on short steep hills but the SIX 5 is better for longer rides.
Likes For audiomagnate:
Old 08-05-19, 03:24 PM
wojowojo16

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I just did the Seattle to Portland Ride on a rented aluminum Fuji Sportif 2.1 instead of shipping my carbon Trek Domane SL6 from Maryland to the West Coast - first time I've ridden an aluminum bike, as my previous bikes were all steel.

Hard to do a direct comparison - the Domane has shock absorbing material on the seat post and head tube and I run 32mm tires while the rental was 28mm. The Domane also has thicker bar tape with padding under the hand areas. But with the tires pumped up to the same 80 psi I run on the Domane, it was a noticeably harsher ride. I'm not sure how much the Fuji weighed, and the wheels didn't come close to matching the Vision 40s on my Domane, but it was also more effort to get going on the Fuji from a dead stop.

All in all, I'm glad I paid the extra for a carbon bike but I probably would have loved the Fuji coming directly from years of riding those steel bikes!
your domane, is it a disk? I think I have the same bike, but no disk. IF clincher, how did you fit 32's on it?
Old 08-07-19, 04:07 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by wojowojo16
your domane, is it a disk? I think I have the same bike, but no disk. IF clincher, how did you fit 32's on it?
It is a disc brake model, my first time using them - and I am now on Team Disc.
Old 08-07-19, 04:26 AM
wojowojo16

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpescatore
It is a disc brake model, my first time using them - and I am now on Team Disc.
I should have looked to the left at your profile...I have the same bike, no disk....WISH I would have gone the disk route, but next time.....I do like my Domane Though..I picked up a leftover 17 sl6 pro for like $2400, brand new. I could have got and 18 sl5 disk for about the same price. Looking back, the 18 105 components are just as good as the 17 ultegra...live and learn!
Old 08-11-19, 07:03 AM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I have both. Whilst both are comfortable, the carbon bike's much stiffer. Better out of the saddle on climbs and when taking off. I'f an overweight mamil like me can tell the difference, i'd say there's merit.

Which one i prefer depends on the day. Giant's a very nice and fast ride, but the Focus has a lot of character.

Old 08-11-19, 07:51 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Im fairly certain lots of ride impressions contributed to Al vs Carbon is as much cheap tyres and wheels as it is the frame itself. Changing to decent tyres makes a lot of difference and so does tyre width and pressure.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 08-11-19, 09:11 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Rode my wife's flat bar AL hybrid today. Quite comfortable on the rough spots and expansion joints, even with no suspension other than 25c tires at 80 psi.
Old 12-06-20, 10:08 PM
shotgunslade

Bikes: Softride Roadwing; Colnago World Cup; Raleigh Professional townbike restomod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 Colnago World Cup
Old 12-07-20, 08:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Yep have one and love it....

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-08-20, 09:20 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by shotgunslade
2014 Colnago World Cup
I bought this one in 2015. Love it.

Likes For bruce19:
Old 12-08-20, 09:43 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
I've ridden carbon framesets for the last 12 years, with a Caad10 thrown into the mix for a very short time. I always thought I'd ride nothing but carbon framesets but that all changed this past summer. I bought a SBC 7005 frameset as my budget friendly N+1 and was very impressed with the overall feel and ride of the bike. It surpassed everything I knew about how an aluminum frameset's ride characteristics would be. A couple weeks later, I bought their 6061 all-road and after a couple rides on that build, I decided to make it my primary bike and ended up selling the Storck. With these aluminum builds and my first Ti build just about done, I don't see myself building up another carbon frameset.
Old 12-08-20, 11:34 AM
shotgunslade

Bikes: Softride Roadwing; Colnago World Cup; Raleigh Professional townbike restomod

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014 Colnago World Cup

I'm tall.

2014 Colnago World Cup
Likes For shotgunslade:
Old 12-08-20, 03:16 PM
bruce19

I'm tall.

The rake on that fork looks pretty steep.
Old 12-08-20, 04:03 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Another 'Dale checking in.

My other bike is a steelie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.