Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for replacement belt for Nashbar roller-trainer....

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-18-19, 10:38 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts

A occasional riding buddy is getting ready to move, and just gave me a bike stand and a couple trainers. One trainer is a Nashbar roller, the Reduced Radius NB-R3 model, which appears discontinued, but is in great shape and looks to be a solid rig, but it needs a belt. Nashbar (and Performance) have this replacement belt,
https://www.nashbar.com/forte-travel...on-non/p920842
....that the ad says is for their Forte Travel Pro Alloy Roller Unit, which is also apparently discontinued, because I can't even hunt down a picture of the thing.
I sent messages last night to both Nashbar's and Performance's customer service, then called today, and was told it would "probably" work.
The roller unit I was just given, looks nearly identical to most of them, and i was wondering if these things tend to have standard dimensions, and if this replacement belt would likely fit?
Old 07-18-19, 11:03 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question but one thing that may help is to look for a manufacturer name labeled or stamped somewhere on the trainer and do a search with that info. Performance and Nashbar often put their name on products that come from the same mfrs. who also sell these products under their own name.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 07-18-19, 11:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Mcmastercarr, Grainger, etc....

Worth a shot I suppose. Measure width/length of belt and stuff and look it up on those sites.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-18-19, 11:28 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
i had an old set of Nashbar rollers from years ago, they were made by Tacx. I got a Tacx belt when i needed a replacement, not sure if Tacx still makes 'em for Nashbar, but might be worth a look around.
Likes For Steelman54:
Old 07-20-19, 08:50 AM
cspan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good timing. I have rollers that I think use a similar band. My rollers were Travel Trac Technique Pro Alloy Folding Rollers, sold by Performance Bike.

The original band lasted about 10 years (I am not a daily rider; I probably use the rollers on average weekly). When it finally broke this spring, I already had a replacement waiting in the wings. The replacement looks a lot like the band you linked to, though I no longer have a part number or invoice for it. In any case, the replacement has only lasted a few months. It was a clean break at the joint (as if cut with a knife), where I'm guessing the two ends were melted together to form a loop. IDK if I could successfully re-join them by melting the ends or not.

The band is not expensive at all; however, I don't want another junky one. The other bands they sell appear to have measurements that I would not expect to fit. My drum spacing is bigger than specified for the clear polyurethane alternative (37" vs 36"), and my drum diameter (85mm) falls in between the specs for the two types of Kreitler bands (one of which is mislabeled 3.0/3.25 but should be 3.0/2.25). It's not even clear what the measurements are for the belt you linked. From a brief search of other reviews, it looks to me like roller size for this model has varied through the years.

Anyway I'm not sure what to do other than take a chance on a belt that may not fit and may be short-lived even if it does fit. I guess it's cheap enough to take a chance on, though. Thoughts?
Old 07-21-19, 08:45 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.kingroupinc.com/buna-n/

https://epm.com/
Old 07-21-19, 09:21 AM
cspan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW I heard back from Nashbar/Performance Bike, and they think the above linked belt should fit, but they can't be sure, claiming no way to check for compatibility. :/

They suggested the clear polyurethane belt (part # 83A_CLEAR_X01WT1006) as an alternative. On the River Site, there's a review that states that the clear belt works with rollers that sound a lot like the ones I have:

used this belt on my Performance Travel Trac folding rollers and it works / fits great.
My rollers rolls are approx 36" between center lines of the two drive rollers. The rollers
are approx 4 " in diameter. Amazon listed the Travel Trac part number as # 40-2084 but
was out of stock.
Again, the measurements on mine (belt diameter, roller diameter, roller spacing) are a little different than indicated, for both the belt and this person's review, but the part number they cite (40-2084) IS the same part number of the rollers that I have. The clear one has the added benefit of not being the same construction as the prior replacement, which failed too quickly IMO. So I'm inclined to give the clear one a try.
Old 10-28-19, 07:26 PM
allisonj33

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same Nashbar roller, the Reduced Radius NB-R3 model as the original poster and was wondering if there was a resolution as to what replacement belt can be used. Thanks.
Old 10-28-19, 09:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
The bike shop supplier Quality Bicycle Parts lists 4 different roller belts from two different brands. Ask your LBS to check them out for you. Andy
Old 10-29-19, 04:31 AM
cspan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allisonj33
I have the same Nashbar roller, the Reduced Radius NB-R3 model as the original poster and was wondering if there was a resolution as to what replacement belt can be used. Thanks.
FWIW the clear one I got from Amazon works with my rollers (Travel Trac Alloy Pro, from Performance Bike). I'd say the fit is not quite as tight as the original, but it works.