Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Custom Brompton Ordering Proccess

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-19, 04:00 PM
bikeboi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! So I am just a little confused on how the custom ordering of Brompton works. I know it is done through a dealer after building your bike online, so I went to my nearest dealer and inquired about ordering a custom Brompton. They said okay, but the guy didn't seem to know what he was doing. He asked me for a part number, and I said I only have the code that they gave me online, so he said, "I'll go with that, I guess." He then started to say how he's never ordered one before. I thought that you are supposed to fill out a custom order form at the dealer, but he just asked vague questions like what model and the color was (he wrote down blue/white even though there are multiple shades of blue to choose from). I could be worrying to much about that last bit though, as he was writing in a field labeled "Description".

When Brompton builds my bike, will they reference the part number to the build I made online? I'm just a bit nervous, as the man I talked to barely new what a Brompton was. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-23-19, 04:16 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I'd go back to that shop and ask to speak with the owner or manager. Tell that person you're wondering if your order was accurately received by the person you originally dealt with, and that you'd like to confirm everything before proceeding. No sense getting a custom Brommie that's custom for someone other than you!
Old 07-23-19, 05:14 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
We built two Bromptons on-line. We saved the reference numbers assigned on the Brompton website for each configuration we each made, and provided those unique reference numbers to our kinda-local Brompton dealer, who pulled each up on the computer, reviewed for accuracy with us, and.....took our money!

Six weeks later the KLBS called us, said our bikes were in, and told us to bring the REST of the money we owed, and to pick them up.

Easy.

Too bad some of these shops make doing business harder than necessary.
Old 07-23-19, 06:50 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Sounds to me like you might want something in writing from the shop confirming exactly what you have ordered and expect. Just in case...
They should be able to print out whatever they sent thru to Brompton.