Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Standard Answers to Standard Questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Standard Answers to Standard Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 11:06 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhed
I have to agree, this one pissed me off and I am a contributing member and have been here since 2001. The questions people ask, even though they can be repetitive, always get different opinions and responses, some which may be exactly what you/they were looking for.
And there's quite a bit of BS floating around too, which is more confusing to newbies than is helpful.

That is the purpose of a forum.
What's that? To get several blatently wrong answers peppered in with a few correct responses? How's that help a newbie? How are they going to be able to discern the difference between good advice and total crap? I come here to give and get information not opinion and/or approval.

You may enjoy threads like "What's the best saddle?" but whatever responses the OP gets they may or may not be helpful. Brand X saddle could be all wrong for the OP and that is the point. Not to sit around and say, "Ohhhhhh, Ahhhhhhh! Brand X saddle really fits the crack of my arse! You should get one too!"

That's what some of us are suggesting here. There is no best saddle anymore than there is a best $1500 bike. If you need approval or want to have your hand held get your mommy.

No question is stupid if you are truly searching for an answer, how will you ever learn???
That doesn't mean the same old questions need to be rehashed a million times over. This isn't nursury school. If several multiple hit items were written up in a good FAQ format then it would be a quick and easy reference for all the world to see because we already know that newbies don't search.

Old 07-11-05, 11:17 AM
SAR2525

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Doc (any others on this post)- I guess we are lucky to have such experts like you to be able to know that answers to questions incorrect. What would we do without you? Is this Sarcasm - yes. Have a little humility would you. The forum is a reflection of life. I don't know anything about your background; but have you ever worked in a shop or raced competitively for a long period of time?

People ask alot of the same questions - IMO Jittingjr is correct. When I am in a shop or at our team's training race - I always make time to try to answer questions. IMO the correct answers is not "go search"

When I started out I had a few great mentors - I can only hope to do the same for others.
Old 07-11-05, 11:19 AM
Redhed 

Bikes: 14' Colnago CLD, 02' Schwinn Mesa GSX, 2005 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said before, no question is dumb. No one is perfect and this forum is supposed to promote cycling not flame someone who asks a question, no matter how repeated it may be.

Edit: There are very funny questions sometimes and they are worth the read.
Old 07-11-05, 11:27 AM
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee

Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redhed
Like I said before, no question is dumb. No one is perfect and this forum is supposed to promote cycling not flame someone who asks a question, no matter how repeated it may be.

Edit: There are very funny questions sometimes and they are worth the read.
And sometimes its nice to have someobdy else ask a question and if they get flamed or trolled for asking it then its them instead of self, for asking a question that one had oneself. (if that made any sense )
Old 07-11-05, 11:33 AM
Ant

Bikes: Trek 1200 : Trek 3700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
And to answer a few of the questions that I have heard above but not fully answered.

What do I need to carry with me on my bike?

At minimum the following is considered mandatory carry on a bike on any distance ride (not for racing).

- A air pump (frame, road morph, mini) or CO2 system
- A patch kit (glue or glueless)
- A mini tool (a set of hex wrenches on a little tool)
- A set of tire levers

The following are nice to have

- A spare tube with the right length stem (presta, i.e. 48 mm, 60 mm, etc)
- A presta to schrader valve adaptor
- A mini chain tool
- A spoke wrench
- A cell phone
- Spare Spokes
- Money

Nutrition wise requirement (anything over a little short ride to the store)
- A water bottle with fluid (or 2)
- Some sort of emergency food (A gel, a powerbar, nuts, etc etc)

Many people will tell you to carry all kinds of other stuff, most are not necessary. If you have special needs (i.e. carbon wheels, mavic spokes, etc etc). You should also have the knowledge to use the tools if requires, i.e. change a flat.

Clipless pedals and Shoes

What kind of clipless pedals are there and which is best for me?

Three main pedal "systems"

1. Shimano SPD and clones - Mountain bike and "walkable" road pedals, easy to learn and use, very user friendly, will come out in a crash, not necessarily the best for sprinting, out of the sadddle climbing, etc.

2. Speedplay (X series and Zero) - Road pedal system, lots of free float, very nice for people with knee problems, good cornering clearance, small platform. Cleats are not very walkable, clipin performance is degraded when cleats get dirty, double sided entry.

3. Shimano SPD-SL and Look system - Road pedal system, larger platform, mildly harder to clip in, a little more "walkable" than speedplay, great for big footed people, can be a little more expensive, shimano uses plastic cleats. Looks KEO's tend to be a little lighter, smaller cornering clearance, one sided entry, pedals are weighted so that the proper side tends to come up.

Shoes

What kind of shoes do I need with my clipless system?

1. Mountain type recesed cleat shoes - For SPD systems, comfortable and walkable

2. Road type - plastic soled. Lower cost road shoe, required for SPD-SL, look, speedplay, etc. Can flex a little, not as stiff as carbon

3. Road type - carbon soled. Higher cost, stiffer, better power transfer, tend to be avalable with better latching system.

Group Rides

I want to do a group ride. It is ____ (MPH/KpH) pace for ____ (miles) at _____ (time) on _____ (day).

What time to do I get there?
Get to the group ride early, at least 15 - 20 minutes minimum. You will probably have to unpack the bike, air up the tires, get food, water, etc. No one likes to wait for someone that shows up at the last minute for the ride.

What is a "no drop" policy?
A policy on most beginning to advanced rides that no one will be left "off the back" (behind the pack) for riding too slow. Usually a rider will ride "sweep", i.e. behind all the riders in the group to make sure no one gets lost, "gets dropped", etc.

What are some basic skills I should have before doing a group ride?
First this depends on the pace of the group. You should be able to ride the distance the group wants to ride at the speed approximatly they want to ride at. If it is an advanced ride you should be able to ride in a straight line, ride without sudden surges in speed. If the group rides in pacelines understand how they work (see pacelines).

The group rides in a paceline? What is it and how is it done?

A paceline is a formation of riders where the rider in front "breaks the wind" creating a slipstream for all the riders who ride behind him. They have to do about 30% less work than the rider in the front doing the "pull". In a paceline everyone takes a turn in the front, for a designated time period or until they are tired then go to the back of the line to the left.

Pacelines work when riders ride within a few feet, and less than a foot from the riders rear wheel in front of them. Riders need to be vocal, pointing things out in front of them as they ride, slowing, stopping, etc. They best bet is to stay in the rear of the line and move up when you feel comfortable. Riding in a straght line is also important. See the post about paceline ediquate for more information.

In a paceline you can go sometimes 5 - 10 MPH faster than you could go alone.

What is a training ride? Tempo ride? Recovery Ride? Race Paced Ride? Recreational Ride?

- Training ride - Any ride with a specific purpose, used by racers and serious riders. It could be century training (i.e. rides over 70 miles), hill training, LT threshold work, base endurance training, etc.

- Tempo ride - A term for a ride that occurs at a pace that is fast but can be carried on for extended distances, usually right below lactic acid threshold (the place where heavy breathing occurs and pain starts).

- Recovery ride - A slower ride, usually for riders who are recovering for a race, hard training ride, etc.

- Race Paced Ride - A ride where the only rule is to be faster than the other guy (amoung normal deciency rules). Riders can or will be dropped, attacks, counters, etc can occur. These rides simulate conditions that occur in a race, hills, flats, etc.

- Recreational ride - A ride that is for leasure or is of a slower pace. Great for beginning riders, they can be social, slow, fast, etc, usually to somewhere fun.
As a newbie I can honestly say that this post was VERY informative. Thanks!
Old 07-11-05, 11:34 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the computer modding community we have a forum called modding guides. Like a FAQ section it shows how to do the little things that people ask all the time. In any forum situation there will be repetative questions, and there is no way to get around it. I just feel that some people have a very biased view on stuff and can not see both sides of the story.

As someone trained in parliamentary procedure and debate I can take sides or the middle ground. I have my preferences here and there, for example I like shimano pedals and do not like look pedals but that is my own opinion, that does not mean shimano is better for everyone, infact some people may like speedplay or SPD or who knows what better...

Everytime one of the shimano vs campy or leg shaving, etc etc threads comes up people take one side, argue and argue and nothing productive gets said. To me it does not matter if we get an FAQ section up here. It is not for the forum to flame people, but frankly most of the stuff that is said here is crap on these threads, and sometimes the simple answer is better...

Some forums make the user wait 10 days or have 20 posts before allowing new threads. I am not saying that this is what should happen but it could.
Old 07-11-05, 12:10 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by SAR2525
Thanks Doc (any others on this post)- I guess we are lucky to have such experts like you to be able to know that answers to questions incorrect. What would we do without you?
Fair question. However, what are any of the forum members credentials? It's easy to lie about your background when it can't be verified. But seriously how does newb helping newb or the blind helping the blind really help out a forum reader - especially a new forum reader that is trying to distinguish fact from fiction?

Like my58vw just stated, he likes Shimano pedals. But is that right for everyone? Nope. Is there a best $1500 road bike? Nope. Is there such a thing as a best saddle? Certainly not. Is compact geometry better for me? How would anyone really know without a proper fit? Is there a best chain lube? If you ask 15 people most likely you'll get 15 different answers. How's that going to really help anyone?

I know I come across as a hardass, but frankly it's more harmful for a new forum member to read bad opinions or misinformation and take it as fact. It takes time to be able to tell which responses are valid and which are total BS. And most newbies want instant gratification without going through the learning curve - i.e. McEducation. So who is really doing a disservice here?
Old 07-11-05, 12:26 PM
clfjmpr44

Bikes: 2000-Canary Yellow Trek 1000, 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[edit] oops, double post
Old 07-11-05, 12:28 PM
clfjmpr44

Bikes: 2000-Canary Yellow Trek 1000, 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Fair question. However, what are any of the forum members credentials? It's easy to lie about your background when it can't be verified. But seriously how does newb helping newb or the blind helping the blind really help out a forum reader - especially a new forum reader that is trying to distinguish fact from fiction?

Like my58vw just stated, he likes Shimano pedals. But is that right for everyone? Nope. Is there a best $1500 road bike? Nope. Is there such a thing as a best saddle? Certainly not. Is compact geometry better for me? How would anyone really know without a proper fit? Is there a best chain lube? If you ask 15 people most likely you'll get 15 different answers. How's that going to really help anyone?

I know I come across as a hardass, but frankly it's more harmful for a new forum member to read bad opinions or misinformation and take it as fact. It takes time to be able to tell which responses are valid and which are total BS. And most newbies want instant gratification without going through the learning curve - i.e. McEducation. So who is really doing a disservice here?
You hit the nail on the head Dr. M...A large part of these forums is the gathering of opinions on something. I am sure people who come here looking for info (myself included) understand the elementary fact that this forum is full of opinions and good and bad advice. I would never base a bike-related buying decision purely on what I read here, but it could help me narrow my choices, confirm my beliefs, or point me in a totally different direction. As for these "bad opinions" -- no such thing in my book, so we'll call it "on purpose bad advice" -- you speak of that could send a newbie to his or her certain doom, the good people on these forums far outweigh the wahoos, and always step in to call a wahoo a wahoo. Just my 2.5 cents on the matter.
Old 07-11-05, 01:14 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If there is to be a "FAQ", I nominate my58vw to write it. Seriously, his posts on this thread have been very informative and succinct.
Old 07-11-05, 01:29 PM
OPC
‘Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What we need is something like what I did, a nice set of unbiased FAQ's with out all the BS crying, whining, blah blah blah that always goes around. I have written an FAQ for most of these basic questions, I was going to put up a web site, but a sticky would be great.
I agree, there's nothing wrong with a FAQ provided it's limited to un-biased, factual responses. But it also needs to be locked to keep the snide comments off of it. Also, when the answer is "It's a matter of preference" or "It depends..." then follow up with "Do a search and/or start a thread". I think it's ok for the FAQ to also encourage discussion.
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser
Old 07-11-05, 03:50 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a few more from the FAQ I have been writing for some time... this time average speeds...

Average, Maximum and Instantaneous Speed

What is average speed and what is your average?

“Average Speed” is defined as the speed averaged over a period of time. Your cyclo computer gives this value as AVG SPD or similar display. Average speed depends on the following; route, time of day, wind, terrain (hilly vs. flat), temperature, weather conditions, road surface, etc. Therefore unless you are riding the same route under the same conditions average speeds are not comparable.

Your average speed can be a good training tool for personal use. By knowing your typical average speed over several rides you can see how you are improving as your speed improves. Average speed also tends to be lower than your perceived or instantaneous speed due to stops, slowing down, climbing, etc.

My maximum speed was ____ on ____ ride. What is your maximum speed?

“Maximum Speed” is defined as the fastest instantaneous speed read on your cyclo computer. This speed is generally found using your cyclo computers maximum speed function. Maximum speeds are generally accomplished going down a steep hill or on a flat road with a tail wind (i.e. the wind pushing you from behind).

Like average speeds maximum speeds are very specific to the same factors, including road condition, steepness of the grade, weather, wind, etc. Generally the speed at which you “spin out” your highest gear is approximately 45 MPH in a 53-11, any additional speed increase is a function of your tuck (I.e. how aero you can get on the bike).

Maximum speeds are fun, but they require your bike to be in top condition. There may be a speed where your bike “shimmies”, starts wobbling, or gets unstable. If you bike becomes unstable slow down gradually with the rear brake to control speed. Be very careful when going around corners at high speed. Unexpected road hazards can cause you to loose control and crash. Most definitely a crash at over 35 MPH will cause major injury.
Old 07-11-05, 05:20 PM
Kickingback

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I knew I would see this tread someday. Yes some of the questions get repeated alot. And Most ppl don't know about the search option. But the newbies are lost and have no clue thats why they are here. If you don't want to answer a question then don't. But don't knock the newbies for asking a question. Like when you first got your bike you knew it all. Cut them alittle break they are trying to learn like you did. Again nobody makes you read the post and nobody makes you respond. So for the newbies sake cut them a break.
Old 07-11-05, 05:50 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Is it just me or is getting to sound like every post is written by Austin Powers father. If you don't know what I'm talking about, search "Goldmember" and "Dutch"
Old 07-11-05, 07:57 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Here is a few more from the FAQ I have been writing for some time... this time average speeds...

Average, Maximum and Instantaneous Speed
I think these terms are pretty self explanatory.

And it's lose, not loose.

Loose is what you do with arrows.
Old 07-11-05, 08:03 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
I think these terms are pretty self explanatory.

And it's lose, not loose.

Loose is what you do with arrows.
Sorry will correct.

The reason that I like this part is because so many people post threads about ... what is the average speed of X,Y or Z route, etc etc, and really no one can say, that is the point.
Old 07-11-05, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Soon, I'm going to chat with Maelstrom. I think some of the more frequented forums could use a FAQ section.

It's not like we need to diatribe about topics that will overwhelm the person looking for answers either. There is definitely a way to have a FAQ forum that's succinct, to the point, but yet don't overwhelm. Too much will send them back to the forums to ask the same question all over again. Too little will also send them back to the general forums, and nothing will get accomplished.

I'm sure we'll come up with something that will work. But putting together the forum will take a little time. Some of us do have jobs (or are currently looking for one!), so if you guys could be patient, that would really help us out a lot.

I think the intent of this thread originally was good- it's going to remain a sticky until we get something started up, then we can transfer the useful stuff and reword as necessary.

Keep in mind, we aren't Webster's Dictionary either... FAQ should explain some of the more common questions, but in my opinion, comprehensive stuff that seems to go on and on just will overwhelm. Short and to the point... that's what I would like to see. It will be a lot easier to work with, seriously.

Also, just bear in mind we can't cover every single topic in the FAQ. It's going to be the frequently asked questions... and if it means we gotta go statistical on you and figure out which phrases or words are most commonly brought up in a thread, that's what we'll do. Some people may find a topic of relevance to them, but if it's just not brought up that often, we'll table it until we see interest in it.

We should definitely include links to websites that do give more comprehensive information for people that want more than what the FAQ's will offer. I'll start gathering up those types of websites so we can have a sticky at the top of the FAQ with links for more comprehensive information for people to go to.

Finally, just send me a friendly PM reminder if you haven't heard an update and it's been a week (July 18th). I know I will have talked to Maelstrom by then. We're working on another project right now, and it's just taking up a little more of our time than we thought it would take.

Thanks to everyone for imput and information. So keep the standard questions and standard answers coming, and remember... short... to the point... succinct... direct. Me like!

Koffee

Mod

Old 07-11-05, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
P.S. By the way, let's stop getting snippy and just start throwing out the suggestions on what you think are standard questions and standard answers. And again... reminder- short and to the point. Don't worry about wording. Most likely, it will be reworded for one reason or another.

Thanks!

Koffee

Old 07-11-05, 09:37 PM
gabdy

Bikes: Trek, Giant, PoS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought this was a forum. Elitist much?
Of course different people may ask the same questions, they may be new to web forums and not fully understand the concept.
Are you guys the ones who dont say hello as I ride past because your too up yourself?
Why dont you just not let any new members on the board, these answers can easily be found using any one of the 1000's search engines on the net.

I dont mean to be rude, but it seems all web forums have this little group of regulars who have a go at everyone for not doing things exactly how you want them to, do you really want to be a forum like that.
Old 07-12-05, 12:00 AM
Jeep_Bike_Teach
Always carry a camera...

Bikes: Lemond Sarthe (Orange Dreamcycle) A "Fred-ette"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a 'noob' or 'newbie' or what ever you want to call me (the new person/road bike rider) - I can say that I certainly enjoyed reading this thread. I found it to be humourous as well as educational. my58vw has posted great information for someone at my level. Therefore, I am most appreciative. I enjoyed the humorous question/answers (such as the saddle and plaster impression of one's butt) simply because a good laugh is great stress relief and it is a lot of work being serious all the time!

I can say that there are two new folks in this household that have 'searched' many long nights and haven't posted a question yet. I'm not sure I will be posting a question - mainly because I'd rather not be flamed!

Thanks for the informative/fun read...

(Warning: this website can be addictive and cause sleepless nights. )
Old 07-12-05, 07:03 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Well the addictive part we are all well aware of (lol!). As far as being flamed, believe me, there are many helpful people here in the forums. I know, I am new too (relatively). Post your questions if you need to. Don't let the pompous attitudes of a few put you off. Those who don't want to answer your question should just bypass your post, and if they don't, and then come in and flame you....well then that is someone you don't need help from anyway. I know my newbie questions got answered very nicely when I joined back in February. Maybe the nice weather makes us all want to be out on our bikes more, instead of sitting at a keyboard....not like that isn't normally the case.

Cheers,

Brian

― Bruce Lee

Last edited by baj32161; 07-13-05 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-12-05, 09:59 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
suggestion if someone has the time: when this thread nears the end of its useful life, take the best info and create a sort of super road bike section FAQ thread, then STICK and CLOSE the thread...
Old 07-12-05, 11:07 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by Ostuni
suggestion if someone has the time: when this thread nears the end of its useful life, take the best info and create a sort of super road bike section FAQ thread, then STICK and CLOSE the thread...
It's already past it's useful life but you're right in that any FAQ sheet will definitely have to be closed once posted or it'll turn into more of the same.
Old 07-13-05, 11:32 AM
Metro

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot another one

"After spending way too much time on this board over the last few months I've noticed (as most of you probably have as well) that similar questions keep being asked and answered"
Old 07-13-05, 01:41 PM
xoo_x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this community and to road biking as a whole. I also found this thread very helpful. I bought a Trek 1200 D around a month ago; I spent a couple of months gathering information about bikes and equipment via reviews etc.
When you are new to something its very useful to get a sense of the environment and thats what I got today from alot of your posts especially the one from my58vw on group riding. The comment from my58vw about average times made me smile, as I had installed a bike computer yesterday and had to read all that in the manual. I'm starting to understand more about road biking and hope I get gain more from this community.
One thing I would say to other newbies, like myself, to road biking is check out reviews from sites like epinions.com; there you will find reviews of popular bikes, pedals etc for a range of prices. Once you have a basic understanding of the biking environment out there and are happy that this is the sport for you, come to community sites like this one to learn about road biking and go to your local bike shop to get the bike/shoes that impresses you and feels good for your price range.

I diffently think a faq on road biking would be very helpful.

Thanks for the info

xoo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.