Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring and Brooks saddle.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-04, 10:29 PM
Urbanmonk
Sarcastic Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the best Brooks saddle to put on a Trek 520 used for commuting and different types of touring? Will do some short and long distance tours. B17, Champion, narrow, standard? Don't really know the difference between them all. Oh, the seat is about 1-2 inches above the handle bars; at least when I rode it at the LBS. This is unfamiliar territory. Thanks!

Cheers,

Urbanmonk
Old 03-07-04, 03:40 AM
Istanbul_Tea
X-Large Member

Bikes: 2004 Rivendell Atlantis, 2004 Thorn eXp, 2004 Bob Brown Cycles Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the Search Button... that's what it is for.

Not to be impolite... you are asking MANY well-worn questions that have lots of already answered answers just waiting to delight and tickle your eyes if you'd only place your cursor over Search and press your left mouse button.

Old 03-07-04, 07:24 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Hi,
sounds like you have a pretty aggressive riding position for a touring bike. Touring bikes usually have them on the same level.
I have the bars a tiny bit higher than the seat on my Fuji. As you get more aero, people usually want a narrow saddle. The Pro is popular. Is your riding position good for you over the course of a few hours of riding?
Old 03-07-04, 08:00 AM
Urbanmonk
Sarcastic Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, late.
So the aero position is not what I'm seeking for long hauls? I want comfort most of all. I just rode the bike yesterday at my LBS. With a 21 inch frame, (I'm 5'10), and the set-up that way, the seat was about an inch maaaaybe 2 above the the bars. (Do you think the frame is too small; I have around two inches clearance in the inseam.) The LBS said they would swap bars and stem for shorter geo if needed. And they also said they would swap the original seat: Bontrager CRZ Road, for a Brooks model if I wanted. The geometry is completely differenct than that on my Cannondale cross/road; there I'm more aero. But for touring/commuting I only want comfort. Thanks.

Cheers,

Urbanmonk
Old 03-07-04, 08:10 AM
blueline

Bikes: Trek 1500 (04)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about "best", but I had a Brooks B17 on my '79 Fuji Grand Tourer for over 20 years. It accompanied me on several long distance trips (at least one century and a two day 160 mile trip). I would still have it today if we didn't have to pick and choose what things to leave behind when we moved back from Japan.

When I bought a new road bike this year, it wasn't too long before I ordered a B17 Special. Most of my riding now is on a short commute (~2.5 miles each way, twice a week).

The B17 was and is an excellent saddle for me (6'2", 200+/-20 lbs) for both commuting and touring. Again, I cannot speak to "best". Furthermore, as always, your mileage may vary...
Old 03-07-04, 08:19 AM
cycletourist
opinionated SOB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you need a 23" frame. Do they have one you can test ride?
Old 03-07-04, 08:28 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Hi,
when you get a good touring position the muscles in your back relax because they aren't supporting your weight. I call it the Aahhh moment. If you have to use several inches of spacers or a 200cm stem to get there.....it's the wrong size. The position is much like a crouch where you are bent forward a little. That is the traditional touring position. A lot of people prefer the position of a traditional sport rider. Bar will still be at the same height (or an inch lower) but they will be an inch or two further away from the seat. Still fairly upright, but a lot zoomier. If you want to cover long distances quickly, this is an option.

Last edited by late; 03-07-04 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 08:49 AM
Ebbtide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me, it comes down to fit. The b-17 is far more comfortable than my Pro. The pro is too narrow for my gorgeous behind.
Old 03-07-04, 06:13 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The B17 is probably the most popular Brooks model. You really can't go wrong with it.
Old 03-08-04, 04:42 AM
wellshorton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Brooks saddle for you? I don't believe anybody can truly answer that other than you. Best for one person is not the best for another. I have 50,000 miles on a Brooks Pro and it's the best for me. Try either a B17 or a Pro and ride ride and ride. Then answer you question if you are happy with your choice.

Wells
Old 03-08-04, 04:04 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanmonk
Thanks, late.
So the aero position is not what I'm seeking for long hauls? I want comfort most of all. I just rode the bike yesterday at my LBS. With a 21 inch frame, (I'm 5'10), and the set-up that way, the seat was about an inch maaaaybe 2 above the the bars. (Do you think the frame is too small; I have around two inches clearance in the inseam.)

As you describe it this bike sounds like it is too small. Try a 23". The most important measurement is the top tube length. Compare the two sizes for best fit. The larger size will allow you to get the bars higher. At seat height using the bars that come with the bike will still allow an aerodynamic riding position while your in the drops. But mostly you'll want to ride on the hoods or flat top part of the bar. The more upright position will be more comfortable for longer rides.
Old 03-12-04, 07:59 AM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check out Wallingford Bicycle

www.wallbike.com sells 'em all and will consult with you about your needs. They even offer a guarantee if you want to return a Brooks saddle. Who else can say that?
Old 03-12-04, 02:49 PM
PdxMark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanmonk
B17, Champion, narrow, standard?
I've just been researching these. B17 is 17 cm wide. Hence the "17." The narrow is 15.5 cm wide. I just got a used B17 narrow on ebay, but haven't installed it yet.

The Champion is a fancier B17. Thicker leather. Nice copper rivets rather than copper-coated steel rivets, and possibly a thicker leather with a chamfered edge. Costs a bit more, but it'll look nicer. I like the honey color.

wallbike.com has a great Brooks return guarantee... something like 6 months to try the saddle.

Everything I see says to go easy on maintenance. Rivendell.com recommends Oberhauf leather protector over the Brooks Proofide, but the Brooks stuff probably works too. Just don't use to much of either.
Old 11-17-04, 10:26 PM
khamsher
ruggerhugger

Bikes: Roark/Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know the difference between an B17 Narrow and the Brooks Pro saddle? I'm researching them and can't find the difference or, are they one and the same?
Old 11-17-04, 11:36 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I believe the Pro comes with thicker leather and is just a tiny bid wider than the B17 Narrow. I have both saddles.
Old 11-18-04, 12:56 AM
blacktom
Tuggo

Bikes: Trek 2500, Burley Tandem, beater tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to the oracle - the Brooks site at https://www.brookssaddles.com/

All will be made clear. Note that the B 17 (and some other models) come in narrow, standard and womens widths, the women's one being wider than the standard.

Brian