Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Henry Hudson Trail

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 02:03 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Henry Hudson Trail

Looking for information on the Henry Hudson Trail. Has this trail been completed as one continuous trail from Freehold to Atlantic Highlands(Sandy Hook area) ?
Old 02-17-17, 04:08 PM
richard4993

Bikes: '80 Trek 710, '81 Trek 613, '82 Trek 613, '86 Trek 500, '87 Bridgestone MB2, '87 Specialized Rockhopper, '87 Schwinn Circuit, '88 Miyata 712, '89 Trek 400, '97 Trek 6000, '11 Trek Utopia, '13 Specialized Allez Race, '15 All City Macho Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've rode it from Atlantic Highlands to somewhere around Aberdeen. That section is complete with a few road crossings. The only other issue is hat some of the tree roots have created bumps to it could get a little annoying on a road bike.

I know there is also another section that starts near Matawan but I've never rode it or any other sections of the trail.
Old 02-17-17, 06:21 PM
wschruba

Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
The section from Freehold is continuous (with road crossings) up to Big Brook Park. From there, you have to go (left) on road to 79, and make a right; you could also make a right out of the park, and a left at the subsequent light, but it is much hillier. The path starts again on the opposite side of the road about 1 mile from the park. It continues with road crossings, again, until it dead ends in an old industrial area. If you hop on Google maps, you'll see that it crosses Church Street; I take a right there, and a left on Lloyd. This goes for about 2 miles, and requires you to ride past a Parkway ramp. Right behind the gas station just over the overpass, the Shore section of the trail starts, and continues unabated until you reach Atlantic Highlands, where you have to ride a few back streets to reach the Bayside extension of the trail Depending on the time of day you reach Atlantic Highlands, you need to dodge people arriving/leaving the Seastreak, since the path goes right through part of the lot. I usually stop at Sissy's in the harbor for something to eat/a cup of coffee--you can lock up to the railing at the harbor, and watch your bike through their windows (pretty much nobody but people riding the ferry and fishermen are walking by there, but lock is still mandatory).

Once you reach Popamora Point, you can ride along the street, pretty much up to the bridge over the bay, and go down to Sandy Hook--there's one very slightly sketchy circle at the foot of the bridge, but you have a clear sight-line through the circle.

All that said, If you are even slightly uncomfortable riding on roads, I would stay away from trying for the "full" length, since there are two sections that require you to use high-use streets.

Short answer: No, it's not a contiguous trail, yet. If you're looking for something like that, the D&R canal path runs from the park next to Rutger's stadium, unbroken through Trenton, down to Washington's Crossing. From there, you can ride feeder canals all the way out to Bethlehem, PA. Road crossings are mandatory, but there are no sections explicitly "on road". There's a loop in Lawrenceville that is, like the Henry Hudson Trail, mostly done, adjoined off the canal path with a short .5 mile path.
Old 02-18-17, 06:51 AM
coney462

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Short answer: No, it's not a contiguous trail, yet. If you're looking for something like that, the D&R canal path runs from the park next to Rutger's stadium, unbroken through Trenton, down to Washington's Crossing. From there, you can ride feeder canals all the way out to Bethlehem, PA. Road crossings are mandatory, but there are no sections explicitly "on road". There's a loop in Lawrenceville that is, like the Henry Hudson Trail, mostly done, adjoined off the canal path with a short .5 mile path.

Thank you. just the kind of answer I was looking for. I live in mercer county and have done the D&R Canal path many times. I now want to venture out with some new views. I appreciate your good info
Old 02-25-17, 07:38 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
The Henry Hudson trail is too rough to be a great road bike ride. Better for mountain bikes and hybrids. The northern section around Atlantic Highlands is nicer. If you want to make a nice ride of it, start in Atlantic Highlands and ride across the Keyport Bridge to Sandy Hook. Very nice.
Old 02-26-17, 11:05 AM
coney462

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
The Henry Hudson trail is too rough to be a great road bike ride. Better for mountain bikes and hybrids. The northern section around Atlantic Highlands is nicer. If you want to make a nice ride of it, start in Atlantic Highlands and ride across the Keyport Bridge to Sandy Hook. Very nice.
Did about 30 miles of this trail last weekend, and your right, there were many roots breaking through the asphalt for road bikes. although I did see quite a few of them out there. My giant escape handled the terrain just fine, and I will ride this bike bath again